Stardew Valley - Indie Farm Game

I don’t think the time pressure is too bad in this game. A lot of Harvest Moon games punish you for staying up too late (past 10) and this game is pretty ok with you going to sleep at 12am every night.

Not to mention, the time crunch is crucial to making you move forward day to day. I like the time crunch, as it makes you prioritize and plan out a day based on the time you have.

But, as you said, you can mod this game all you want. I haven’t done any mods, but it is nice to have the option.

Keep in mind that if you are going to mod the length of day, you may want to also correspondingly mod the amount of energy you have since that will become the barrier for how much work you can get done in a given time.

Now I have also managed to keep away from wiki pages. The game is not completely aimless in the beginning and does a really admirable job of dangling new carrots in front of you at a nice pace. While it seems to not hand hold in the beginning, all there really is to do is grow some meager crops, forage and talk to some folk. As each new thing opens up for you to explore, a little bit of experimentation is all that is usually required to figure out how it works.

I am sure I will miss a fair few things until I consult a wiki, but for the moment I am content to let the game show me what is has in its own time. Except maybe gift giving - that seems like a black art.

There are clues as to favored presents for people; often conversation from family members.

That’s what i use the Wiki for, for the gift giving. The bachelors are a lot more difficult to gift give than than the ladies. Also, turning on the active square, reading the library works. It’s hard for me to say though because I’ve been playing these type of games for 20 years now, so who knows what I inherently just know.

Yeah gift giving with no sound is not a problem. it’s in their speech and the icon above their head.

1. I’ve tried playing with a laptop at night. Not very good. Maybe if I had a trackball?

It’s too tedious to water your plants and manage inventory.

1. sound for fishing.

2. You don’t really need to consult anything online.

There’s also a visual indicator when you snag a fish but might be a bit subtle (there’s a ! that appears).

I would not want to play this without a mouse or controller.

You know what I love about this game too?

Same sex relationships without any trouble or hassle.

I got to the higher levels of mining. There’s an ore. It’s a PITA to get. I’ve found… one in a week’s play.

I think I found accelerator, use bombs and just strip the mines.

Supposedly 1.05 buffs that ore’s availability to levels where you can get 20-30 a day with reasonable effort.

Or explosive sling shot ammo. The downside of ammo is it needs to hit a wall to go off. Also, it blows up mummy corpses. For when you, uh, get to them.

Irridium ore availability was supposedly buffed but I haven’t seen it in two trips and about 50+ floors into the Skull Cave. Very small sample size, availability increases every 10 levels.

Were you using the trackpad? I ask because in that scenario I would think 100% keys would be better.

Yep, trackpad. I’ll try KB next time!

Another dumb question re: chicken coops.

My silo is full. I want to stock up on extra hay by emptying the silo first.

I remember I could click on the bit in the silo to get hay into my inventory manually. It doesn’t seem to work anymore! I tried different tools, left click, right click, etc etc.

I find the UI occasionally goes bananas (mostly play with controller, some keyboard). You might try going into your inventory and leaving and see if that fixes it. Or come back tomorrow. I had this happen once in fact; couldn’t extract hay for a day but it worked the next time I played. Probably a bug.

A couple of buddy’s find it hilarious that i tried to give a flower to Elliot. I stalked their home in vain trying to see them again after that first meeting on the bridge to the beach area. I thought at the time, ‘hey what a friendly older women, maybe she will be my date interest.’ Look at Elliot’s pics, she is a she surely?? Meanwhile my buddy’s are pointing and going ‘Hah! Har!’. I’m pretty sure i’ve known female ‘Elliot’s’ in real life, it is one of those dual gender names isn’t it?

I haven’t had four chickens yet… but I am wondering if you need a empty slot. This might be the game trying to help you. After all, I always pull 2 hay for 2 chickens instead of one of a time which is a subtle way of telling me how much I need.

I tried this last night and had no issues with pulling as much hey as i wanted. I think you might have a bug.

Awesome thanks! Started checking out the TV and learned several recipes.

Oh wasted day, got stuck playing this way way to much today, finally had to set it down. I think I’ve earned close to 100,000 gold by about the 3rd week of Autumn, have pickaxe and axe both upgraded to iron tools (so I can break those damn stumps everywhere), have about 5 8-tile irrigators, built a chicken coop and upgraded my house. Got Penny, Abigail and Haley up to 4/5 stars. Farmed mine level 41 to get about 100 iron ore for a couple of days. I went through the farm every season and cleaned out the “underbrush” - now the place is overrun, overrun I tell you! with trees. Trees trees EVERYWHERE. Also picked up the final backpack, and have 4 chests full of stuff at home.

Not sure… chickens seem to suck, and suck bad. I guess next year i’m going to try to up my animal game and get the farm on autopilot with sprinklers everywhere, as i’m tired of using the damn watering can. Looks like honey quality is related to flower quality? So i’ll need to set up some hives and some flowers. Really need to step up the cooking game. I’ll spend winter chop chop chopping through the forests, keeping my wooden paths cleared, and deciding where to put my grass fields in.

Eggs are easy, easy gifts and needed in a number of recipes. You’ll be happy you have chickens!

And they turn into mayo.

Mayo is a gift that everyone wants.

Spread it around. Just give everyone a little mayo. They won’t be mad.