Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

All right, I am down for adventure mode. That looks totally up my alley.

Here’s an interview with our producer about Star Control: Origins.

That is perhaps one of the most egregious mail-it-in interviews I’ve ever read. I mean, I understand mail-it-interviews, but sheesh. Those questions were straight from the “gam3z jurlnalism” class 101.

Stardock needs to have a sit down with @tomchick, not randos from the Interwebs. Then we’ll get to whole bottom of this sordid Star Control business!

May dev journal is out!

“any people are already somewhat aware that Mass Effect is considered a remake of Star Control II (with enough changes to keep the copyright and trademark gods happy).”

Wait; what?

I am actually really looking forward to this game – it’s obviously a Stardock all-hands-on-deck, do-or-die effort --but again, geez.

There are also mentions of that the “classic” SC2 races might show up. I thought… but Brad said…

You know what, never mind. I’m sure this sausage will be delicious and I don’t really want to know how it’s made.

I thought you made that quote up as a joke.

Who are these many people? Is this just a weird attempt to appeal to Mass Effect fans?

What’s weird about it? Mass Effect scratches nearly the same itch that Starflight and Star Control did for me way back when.

How? Like, I’m honestly asking how ME gameplay scratches the itch for Star Control or Starflight.

A remake of Star Control II? A FPS shooter RPG with no spaceship combat?

They are both space opera themed games, but I remake with just enough changes to avoid copyright and trademark?

What a positively stupid thing for them to have said.

It’s so plainly obvious to me I’m not certain how to explain it. They’re both at heart space exploration games that involve contact with alien races and uncovering ancient secrets. The fact that Star Control puts its combat behind a 2D space travel mechanic and Mass Effect’s is a third person party based system is window dressing - it’s the filler between more interesting things going on.

To call it a remake is overstating the case, but I see where they’re coming from.

Hmm. Okay. I guess if it works for you, that’s cool. My mind boggles over it though. I don’t think I’ve ever thought of Mass Effect as a direct product of Star Control.

Scratching an itch is one thing, but to claim it’s a remake of the game changing a few placenames and such? That’s a huge insult to the ME devs. And “many people are aware”? No, they aren’t, because it’s absolute bullshit.

All right, how about this then: I don’t think we would have Mass Effect without having had Starflight and Star Control.

Wrong hill. Seriously.

I strongly doubt it was intended seriously, but I guess we have devs on hand to correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s hard for me to even agree to that beyond the general sense of these much older games had space in them and made money, therefore they demonstrated that space RPGs can be viable business. I can easier say Mass Effect wouldn’t have existed without Gears of War and Star Wars.

Both games clearly draw heavily on the genre of Space Opera in the Star Trek/Star Wars/David Brin/Iain M Banks/(a load of other movies, shows, and books) from a theme perspective.

The shared aspects between the two of them are absolutely not fundamentally unique or new in Star Control II.

Nah, with gears you’re just talking mechanics again. Mass Effect likely still would exist, just probably would have worked more like KOTOR or Baldur’s Gate. It’s not what the game is about.

And I mean Mass Effect is as much Star Trek as Star Wars, if you want to go there.