Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

Any cheat codes or easter eggs yet that will give us all RU we need to build whatever we want? If any are uncovered, please let me know. I didn’t bother with the RU hunt in StarCon2, and I don’t see that as an essential part of the StarCon experience. I still visit planets for the exploration part, just not as a gate to getting more Resource Units. And I would like to avoid the RU hunt in this game as well, please.

I can’t blame you on that. No cheats I’m aware of, but I certainly wouldn’t feel compelled to scoop up everything you can find. Thus far, I can simply ask Tywom for more ships and they’re happy to provide (sometimes without me even asking), so I don’t think you’ll run out of fleet mates due to an RU crunch. Quests give plenty, as well. On the flipside, occasionally some hard-to-find specific resources are needed for a quest. Grinding for RUs can be done to get upgrades quicker, however. So maybe useful to make the game easier. Side note: while not RU grinding, always investigate the unidentified stuff on planets when you’re able.

Do the empires evolve as time progresses? For example It looks like the Mu’kay might actually be colonizing the worlds you find for them. Is that correct. I’m just looking at the change of the boundaries on the sector map, and haven’t gone back to the Wendigo constellation to check.

I’m honestly not sure; I just track the boundaries, myself

Ran into an odd problem where my ship and an alien ship are positioned in such a manner, that when we break off communication the hail/fire at will buttons will show up again immediately. So I’m stuck in a loop.

So is anyone else pressing and holding the E key? Waiting for the ring to fill? :)

No. I tap E and the response is immediate. Works on investigations, hailing, etc.

I’m talking about a reflex from NMS.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood! NMS is certainly peculiar when it comes to controls. Button commands are a lot more responsive in Origins, fortunately.

I had a similar thing happen with the mu’kay

I found zooming in gave me more room to wiggle, so to speak. Hopefully your loop got cured.

I ended up being able to get the load/save menu up and just jumped to an autosave that was before the interaction. I can’t decide if I like the ai combat module or not. It seems to be better at using the secondary items, but man it can be frustrating watching it sometimes. I decided to switch to it for a bit after losing most of my fleet when visiting the drekend homeworld. Then the ai lost most of my replenished fleet fighting a scryve battlecruiser.

OUCH! Yeah, I keep the autopilot off on mine, lol.

Oh, speaking of which, I realized something which would work the next time you’re in a loop and you don’t want to go to an auto-save; use the starmap to start to auto-pilot towards another system (you can interrupt it any time). While on auto-pilot, your ship passes through anything on the map unless it’s chasing you.

Oh, man, I’m glad it’s not just me. This is where my playthrough came grinding to a halt a week or so ago. :(

-Tom

I’m find the combat in general to not just be hard, but just extremely unsatisfying. The physics feels off. The way the planet and gravity wells work feels off, collision between objects during combat feels off. All this stuff felt bad during the beta too, but that was early days. I was hoping all that would have been sorted by now. :( Combat just isn’t fun like it was in the first three games. Say what you will about imbalanced ships and such in Star Control 3, but at least the feel of combat was excellent in Legend’s game.

There is a peaceful solution. Look on Ester.

I’ve pretty much given up on using the ai module. Sometimes it does okay, but mostly it is an exercise in frustration.

I was hoping it would have allowed me to auto-resolve combat. Unfortunately, it forces you to watch a rather tedious animation of two ships flailing about, usually until one of them destroys itselves in the asteroids or gets wormholed into that enimagtic green mist that eats up crew in no time (fortunately, so far, that’s only happened to the enemy ships). This can definitely be improved!

If you have to have quick, arcade-style combat (fair enough), I think what they have in The Long Journey Home is superior to this, thanks to the ability to fire broadsides and the tighter controls (ships in SC:O are much harder to control well – I cannot seem to get a handle on their drift, hence my purchasing the AI module the first chance I got).

I’ve had ships chased into the nebula on the edge of the map, and then they seem confused because they are getting attacked from behind and taking damage from the nebula, and don’t seem to try and get back out of there. I’ve also had a ship bouncing between two planets, getting attacked, and not firing back, then the nebula closed in due to whatever timer function that eventually causes it to shrink, and he finally decides to stop bouncing between the planets, but doesn’t move out of the nebula and dies. If there is an achievement for losing a lot of ships I’m well on my way there. My main objective with planets now is trying to find ships. It looks like it will store ones you find to use later if you are already at the limit of points that you can have, so I try scooping up all the shops I can.

At least a way to shut it off would sometimes help.