Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

Week 4 blog!

We are currently working on version 1.1 of Star Control: Origins and the first free DLC called the Multiverse. We expect to have a beta version of v1.1 out this week for those who want to try it out.

Multiverse

The Multiverse DLC will open up Steam Workshop to modders who want to create their own stories, maps, custom settings, aliens, etc. for people to play with. This DLC will obviously evolve over time and get more features as we learn what kinds of things players like to share.

The Expansion

We will be announcing the first expansion in a few weeks which will be released as a single season pass so that we can release it as a series of micro-expansions. It will introduce lots of new aliens, new places to visit, new quests and will benefit both players who have finished the main storyline as well as new players.

Looking forward to it!

How is multiverse going to work with those of us that bought the game through GOG?

We are working with GOG to see how we can solve that as it’s mainly a way to enable and disable mods.

Just finished the main story and was wondering if there are any expansions planned that will not require me to start all over. I would like to pick up where I left off. By the way enjoyed the game, in fact it’s the first one I have actually finished in a long time. The last game I finished was Fallout 4 and I did that twice. One last question is the Star Control universe static as in the goodies and resources are all in the same place? I would expect the stars and factions to be static.

The first expansion is scheduled to begin rolling out in about a month. None of the content requires you to start over. :)

The SC universe itself isn’t static. Events can trigger pretty much anything you can imagine to happen (including adding of new stars).

The factions themselves aren’t static. Some of them move throughout the course of the game. Even Earth’s territory can change.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant about factions being static is their starting positions are fixed. They may change depending on how long I take to contact them or as you said events cause a change. Other than new stars being created by events does the map start the same way every time?

Enable/disable mods - Wouldn’t the Stardock launcher be able to do that as well, or isn’t that one used with SC?

Yea, the starting locations are always the same as it’s a set story (i.e. this is an adventure/RPG as opposed to say a strategy game).

How things go from there depends on your choices.

The launcher doesn’t have a mod manager built in. Plus, the SC mods can be pretty sophisticated so we need something that ties into the game directly.

The FREE Multiverse DLC is available where you can create your own characters and quests for Star Control: Origins.

The v1.1 update released today too, and brings gameplay, balance, graphical improvements, and more.

https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/article/491565/

Kael made one that’s up on Steam workshop.

I made a star system.

Someone else made “Jeff Wars”.

Just saw this one:

(this is basically a cheat but at least people who don’t want to mess with toxic planet issues have an option).

Star Control: Road Map 2018

Star Control: Origins is just the beginning of our journey. This post will give you tentative schedule of what we have in the works going forward:

Fall 2018:

Season Pass: <to be announced>. Series of new adventures that will begin rolling out this Fall.

Episode 1: Aftermath.

Version 1.2. Lots of usability tweaks, some new quests, performance and more.

Version 1.3. More usability improvements, additional quests, more modding features, Vulkan support (possibly).

Winter 2018:

Version 1.4. Additional new features, UI updates, new components, new ships. Network update.

Episode 2: The Lexites

Spring 2019:

Version 1.5. Lore based quests (doesn’t require you to replay).

Episode 3: The Syndicate

Episode 4: <TBD>

Broadly speaking, our goal is to begin integrating more of the lore into the game so that players get a better idea of things that are coming in the future such as much bigger ships, landing parties, water worlds, helping colonies, helping friends and hurting enemies on a bit more strategic level (not as a strategy game, you are captain of one ship but you can make a difference).

It’s a big, big universe out there. And we are excited to keep sharing more and more of it with you!

Star Control: Origins v1.2 arrives with Adventure Studio accessibility, addresses player feedback about the collecting and selling of resources, adds upgrades and special rewards to the Terran Colonization quests, and more.

Check it out here: https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/article/491939

Star Control: Origins - Earth Rising announced! The story continues next week with Earth Rising, a 4-part season pass that covers humanity’s expansion into the galaxy.

More info: https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/article/492238

Looking forward to this!

Yeah so am I. I enjoyed it and wished there was something more meaningful to do after the main story finished.

Free Reinforcements DLC for Star Control: Origins! A new wave of diverse ships has arrived for Fleet Battles game mode.

Sweet! I have to admit I haven’t messed around much with Fleet Battles except toward the beginning, as I was getting used to the combat. This looks to add a reason to revisit.

First part of Earth Rising is available this week. :)