Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

I’d be perfectly happy if everyone just dropped what they were doing and started making only sci-fi RPGs so I’m not exactly impartial here but, yeah. I am always a little surprised there weren’t at least more Mass Effect clones. They were pretty darn successful.

Isn’t there something about fantasy being waaaaaaaaay more popular in Asia?

Star Wars, for instance, barely makes a dent in China. (And, yes, Star Wars is space fantasy and not sci-fi, but still…)

I’m pretty sure the limiting factor for DLC publishing is not fictional geography.

Right? I’m pretty sure publishers give less than two shits about staying true to fictional maps.

Man, I am all kinds of ready for actual gameplay footage.

There are plenty. I am more annoyed there are no historical RPGs save one.

Check out Expeditions: Conquistador and Expeditions: Viking. Conquistador in particular hit all the right spots for me.

space exploration rpg set in 1889

/jk

That’s a good point, I forgot about those; however my interest is more in first person/third person type of RPGs then top down ones (yes I know I am missing out on a lot).

And as I recall, not a bad game! (for the time at least)

The reason there are no historical RPGs is because everyone knows history is boring. I mean, the whole reason all that history stuff is in the past is because we couldn’t be done with it soon enough. Unlike space and science fiction, which is open and endless and awesome. And, oh yeah, the topic of this thread.

Where do you stand with Mount and Blade Bannerlord and mods, etc? I know they don’t quite take things to RPG level but still fun.

And that’s why half the sci-fi made simply repackages historical settings with more gloss white and fancy lighting!

That’s not correct - you can be head of all guilds. There is a Thief/Fighter conflict but it can be avoided.

The endless possibilities of humanity’s future!

Exactly my point. Romans? BO-ring. Romans in space? Automatically 50% more interesting!

Fallout: New Vegas had “Romans” and even a “Caesar!”

I would also recommend Age of Decadence.

Exactly why it remains the best Fallout game. :)

Yeah I know what you mean. Except for KCD I don’t think there is anything, really? Greedfall seems like it might fit, but I haven’t played it myself, so I cannot confirm if it’s historically accurate, or works in parallel history/universe or incorporates fantasy elements, etc…

Also, a good case could be made for the Crusader Kings series. Doesn’t get more quasi-historical than that :)

Nethergate has a historical setting (Roman Britain) but I think there are elements of fantasy in it as well.