Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

That’s pretty much all we do around here, especially with the complete lack of any real info.

Also, since we’re pretty much total rectum talk around here, my thought would be that if the game really is that close to release that this would increase the odds that Starfield would get a PS4/5 release. Seems to me that the closer the game is to release, the more likely that Sony would already have a contract in place. And given previous studio acquisitions it seems clear that MS would honor that contract. But, I guess we won’t know until we see an actual announcement.

Would Sony need a contract if it was purely non-exclusive third party? Don’t third parties only need to submit for certification?

I thought I read somewhere that one of the Sony guys was asked about a contract for Starfield and he said they did not have one. I’m not too informed about the details of this whole Bethsoft purchase, so I myself may also be speaking out of my rectum.

EDIT I think this is it, I guess we’ll see

PlayStation bigwig Jim Ryan, of course, doesn’t know what’s going on: “That’s a decision that is out of our hands, we’ll wait and see what happens,” he told Russian website TASS. “I look forward to learning about that.”

I doubt anyone that can answer that question is free to do so, but I would be very surprised if there was a binding contract without Sony paying Zenimax for some sort of exclusivity.

OK, that’s a funny quote. I guess we all look forward to learning about that.

Two thoughts. One, it would be kind of dumb on MS part to not sell copies to Sony systems - that’s just leaving money on the table. Two, it would be wild to see a Microsoft logo flash before one played a PS4/5 game, haha. Though, no crazier then the first time a SEGA logo flashed at the start of a game on a Nintendo product, I suppose.

That’s my thinking, too. Unless Sony was paying Bethesda for some kind of Starfield exclusivity, Bethesda could be like, “Hey, Sony, we plan on publishing this game on your platform and Microsoft’s next year.” Maybe there’s a standard contract for anyone who puts out a PlayStation game. But if that game is cancelled or exclusivity is decided for another party, there’s no issue unless Sony put some skin in the game that says otherwise.

MS doesn’t give a shit about money right now, tabled or otherwise. They want people to subscribe to Game Pass.

Well, that’s one way of looking at it. But not releasing on Sony systems might also force people who really want to play these games into MS’ ecosystem. So, Game Pass and the like (or just buy an Xbox console, I guess. Or both). Which is definitely a big priority these days. So they may have done the math and figured that loss is worth it in the long run.

Or, you know, what stusser said.

Yup. Couple of hundred million in profit is useless when you’ve spent 7.5 billion, but let all those one off customers who bought Fallout just remain in the Playstation ecosystem.

I guess I’m assuming some fact I heard ages ago about how console manufacturers, all of them, take a loss on the hardware and make up for it with software sales - meaning any copies of Starfield MS sells on a PS4 or a PS5 is just gravy to them.

Them wanting more folks on Game Pass makes sense of course, as well, but I have very low odds that that Starfield is a Game Pass game at launch. I guess you never know though, other crazy things have been.

MS doesn’t really care about promoting Xbox consoles either. If Sony allowed them to put Game Pass on Playstation, they would do it. They only care about Game Pass. It’s an extreme, exclusive, focus. Like Google with Google+ back in the day. It’s full speed ahead and damn the oars!

Actually, all MS first party games release day one on Game Pass. Have for a few years now.

Day 1 Game Pass, no doubt about it IMO

Yes, Starfield will be available day 1 on Game Pass like all first-party titles.

MS is serious about Game Pass. I can’t emphasize that enough.

I mean, that’s patently untrue as well. Xbox is an avenue for delivering Game Pass to people which, I guess probably makes it a secondary priority. But to say they don’t care about promoting Xbox consoles is crazy talk.

Well, there you go then - I’m a PC guy, not an XBOX guy, so I haven’t been paying attention. I did try Game Pass out to play Gears Tactics, Wasteland 3, and the new Crusader Kings and then forgot about it after that. I guess I don’t like “renting” my games, even if it makes sense to do it.

They care about Game Pass. Xbox exists to service Game Pass. All roads lead to Game Pass.

Day 1 Launch Day availability for all first party MS titles is the killer app for Game Pass. As long as you figure you’re going to be play at least two of the titles that MS publishes each year, it more than pays for itself. And that’s assuming you ignore all the third-party content on GamePass.

And that’s why MS bulked up its studio system. Keep putting out major new releases and you don’t give anyone a reason to unsubscribe. (See Netflix).