Starflight 3!

I would have been all over that. Never even heard about it.

Except they didn’t. They have raised 151k in pledges. The other 250k would have come from Fig. Looking at it that way, they raised 151 of a needed 550, or just over 25%

I never did either.

Oh. k thanks :( yeah, not so good.

I think they needed more celebrity endorsements. That would really have brought it home for them.

Hey now! :)

Correct. That’s how Fig actually works.

Currently at 50% with 3 days to go

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/starflight-3

Yeah I know I’m being mean, but seriously, that was the BULK of their campaign. Which tells you just how much thought they put into it. I mean, they could have done things like play the classics in a live stream, interviewed or showcased actual devs who were inspired by the series and who went on to make space combat games and/or RPGs etc. Heck, even their half-baked attempt at showing what they were “working on”, was just pitiful. They could have whipped something better on Unity in less than a month - and boom!

I’m glad it’s dead. And I don’t feel bad at all. Not even a little bit. If they had funded, but all accounts they would probably have come up with a half-assed game in line with their half-assed campaign.

While I think you’re right about a lot of the things they could have done differently/better, I liked the looks of the visuals that we did get to see, and I hope they come back and try again before too long (because at this point it’s going to take a miracle to reach 800 kilobucks by Friday).

https://i.imgur.com/kzsCk.gif
We need a modern Grizzly Adams remake with this guy in it.

Today’s email.

This is It!

Well folks, we’re not gonna lie: it’s lookin’ grim. With only 2 days to go and the campaign at just over 50% of its goal we need a cosmic miracle. And those don’t come around too often. But what also doesn’t come around that often is the chance to engage with an amazing group of people who love Starflight as much as we do!

We’re almost done setting up our post-campaign channels for us all to stay in touch. Once that’s complete we’ll send out another update!

Thanks again so much for your support! And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram (@Starflightgame)!

Sincerely,

The Starflight 3 Team

So they can update us once a year with interviews with people who have nothing to do with the original or space gaming. Win!

#notangry

Well I don’t use twitter or Instagram so I’m hoping one of you jokers can keep me up to date on where things go from here.

Um, uh… I gotta wash my hair that night.

I first encountered that expression in a workbook that taught French. So this guy asked out a girl, and she replied she couldn’t go, because she had to wash her hair that night, and there was a little drawing of her sitting at a desk, putting her hair in a pan full of water in front of her.

I was very confused at what I was seeing.

Worst part is, I can’t remember what “I have to wash my hair that night” is in French anymore.

Le non.

Per its use in many TV shows and movies, I gather that the “that’s the night I wash my hair” excuse was a stereotypical one that women gave for not agreeing to go out with a guy, at least through the 1970s. Maybe home blow dryers weren’t a widespread thing till the '80s. I know my friends and I would joke about it in college (I went '80 to '84) when the topic came up of “getting shot down” by the object of one’s romantic interest: “Did she tell you she was washing her hair that night?”

I actually got the washing my hair excuse. From two different women. In 2001.

I was not a…romantically desirable young man. Kinda still waiting for Ashton Kutcher to unzip out of my girlfriend and declare the last 15 years have been the most elaborate Punk’d prank in history tbh

Armando, that would be a great excuse for you to use with women pursuers!
*(if you didn’t already find someone great).

This is incredibly depressing. I feel like if they just hired one guy to do marketing for the month of the campaign (or spent some time beforehand planning their updates ahead of time), this would’ve been successful. You’ve got to keep it in people’s (and news sites’) interest for the entire course of the campaign or it just slips into the background. Look at any pretty much successful campaign asking for that much money, and they were posting daily updates, doling out new information a little at a time. Doing hype videos talking about one aspect of the new game (or the game/series they’re remaking/continuing) once a day. Doing extended, multiple interviews. Doing livestreams. If they didn’t have the time to do that stuff (or the money to hire a guy to do it for them), then I don’t know why they bothered.

I’m really sad because I really want to play this game. I hope they’ll give it another shot in the future. I think the audience is there. I mean, getting over $400,000 pledged is clear that it exists. Just imagine what would’ve happened if they actually put in a little bit more marketing effort.

Blargh. I’m just so frustrated.

Also, @BrianRubin I really enjoyed the podcast you did with them. I doubt them not posting the link to it has anything to do with you not being well-known, etc. They obviously like what you do or they wouldn’t have done the podcast. They seemed to be really enjoying it while it was happening, as well. I think they’re just a bit out of touch with how crowdfunding campaigns and marketing them work.