State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

Yikes! Losing a doctor is rough. Going for a trader boon on my current run and my doctor is my community leader. So she is more exposed to danger than I like. Hopefully you have someone else on your team that can pick up the skill.

Undead Labs has done a great job with this current patch. Bought this game at launch and I actually just completed my first map and scored the sheriff boon!

I was really not enjoying the free form aspect of the original campaign. So I started one of the story campaigns (police detectives) and I’m enjoying that a lot more.

Yes, it was quite near the start of the game so I was trying to get her some easy XP to make her into a leader. However all three of my vehicles’ engines were smoking, and I inadvisably took her out in one of those, spotted a juggernaut, panicked, and crashed into a telephone pole outside an infested house with three screamers and a feral :)

I think, mercifully, she may have died in the initial explosion.

What difficulty level was that?

Dread Zone. In fairness, the feral was just loping around in the vicinity - he wasn’t part of the infestation.

That’s how they get you! You’re dealing with a manageable situation, but then a feral shows up. A manageable situation with a feral added turns into an unmanageable situation.

-Tom

I have one favourite survivor lying in infirmary while there’s plenty of plague cure lying around. How do I administer the cure using one of my survivors? It’s either exile or euthanize but non of my survivors can help her when they have the cure in the pocket. It’s getting silly at this point.

You use the infirmary with the one who has the cure, select the second option icon, and that has a administer cure icon.
The tutorial should have you go through this?

Hey that option didn’t appear just now. Only to find it after I restarted the game just now.

Another control/UI issue I sometimes have is stealth killing a zombie very near to car. You could end up going inside the car instead of stealth killing.

oh - thats weird! But glad you found it eventually!

This is still my go-to game, especially during a pandemic. I had to take a week off from gaming for other reasons. What did I pick up when I returned? … State of Decay 2.

In that session, my oldest settlement took a massive hit and I retired it on Day 12. The leader, my namesake, got overrun trying to clear two adjacent infestations. The screamers from one pulled the other horde over. I got away after a few “press A” death scenes, then died when I crashed my very damaged get away car. That sent that group into a depressive tailspin I wasn’t interested in fixing.

I subconsciously wanted to start a new settlement. I jumped right into the new zone. After 3 days it’s going well. @tomchick is right, you need to understand and maybe master the systems before you get too far. I always scout before I engage a horde, for example, and that’s saved me one time when after 15 seconds I spotted a feral loping around. I managed to lure it off and kill it (always traveling with a companion) and then separately finished off the horde. I squash infestations soon after they appear. I don’t let hordes build up. I am saving the plague hearts for when I am ready, and “manually” gathering plague samples from hordes rather than hearts. I am training shooting early on with crossbows. I think about secondary skills and agonize over the main skill upgrades.

It’s an immersive game with very tight systems. It’s literally boredom looting an empty building followed by hands-shaking terror as you hear the scream of a feral while you are out solo. It’s been an emotional ride, I want to see how long it lasts. Aprox 40 hours play time so far, which for me is a lot for a single player game.

Bringing your own soundtrack into State of Decay works wonders. Or even podcasts. I have a State of Decay mix I play when I’m just out and about foraging for supplies. I role-play that my characters are listening to it on some Microsoft Zunes they found.

-Tom

I absolutely love State of Decay 2 . It has been my go to game since the Juggernaut patch and I play it every chance I get. While it has been a blast pursuing the different legacy boons, I am really enjoying the post-plague heart long game, just chilling and guiding communities along to self-sufficiency. The long game activities are pretty basic but the different combinations of base layouts, survivor skills, and ally perks keep the playthroughs fresh.

Undead Labs have just released another patch, featuring gameplay improvements, updates to the AI, and new costumes and weapons.

Wait. What?

Make room? What?

Apparently there’s some technical limit to the number of simultaneous things the broker can have in the game, so they cycle them.

Yeah, it’s kind of dumb, but I think it’s more like cycling the free hero in a MOBA? Here’s where they explained the retirement system:

Sounds like they’re trying to incentivize regular play to collect stuff? On the list of dumb decisions in State of Decay 2, I’m not sure it makes the top five. Maybe the top ten, though.

-Tom

EDIT: Ah, what Andrew said!

So far, this new update has run havok with my dread zone community I am calling the Happy Idiots. Prior to the update, they were comfortably situated in the container fort, churning out booze and fuel with all the extra food they were making. Plague Hearts were borked, with the later ones only appearing through quests, but so what? They had 5 hearts down and had ammo, supplies and a parking lot full of vehicles. Things were so rosy, they absorbed the local drunks into the fold. They were set for the long haul.

After the patch, they started shooting their weapons all the time, attracting every zombie in the neighbourhood. And not the squishy kind that can easily be shredded by gunfire. There were successive waves of zombies geared up with assault armor and headgear. 2 plague jugs came in during the first wave, destroying every car in the parking lot and depleting the group’s entire store of 50 cal bullets. During one of the waves, my doctor thought it would be a good idea to head into the parking lot on her own and take on a group of the armored zombies. It took a lot to rescure her and she barely scraped through.

Plague Hearts are still borked for this particular community. One Heart suddenly popped up as part of a Red Talon quest close to their base. They managed to save the agent from a swarm and take her back to base to restock. But she got rolled over by one of the waves of armored zombies that chose that moment to attack.

Somehow through it all, the Happy Idiots are still “Enthusiastic”, with one Heart left to go. It is not on the map though. Not sure if they can survive much more of this.

Sounds like this is your problem. Get them to cut back on the drink buddy :)

Yeah, booze and guns are a dangerous mix:)