State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

Just started this. I have selected a leader, and moved to the armored truckstop as my new base, and I’m being told the tutorial is over.

I ahve questions.

I have 3 outposts, am I stuck with that number? There didn’t seem to be a way to upgrade the starter base further and I was hoping to get more outpost room at a new base but I don’t see any way to upgrade it. Are there bases down the road that allow more? I did a gal’s quest to go find a sniper cache but there was just bullets so she thinks he’s alive. A follow up quest asked me to claim the barn but I have no room.

Oh yeah, I guess with SoD3 on the way I really need to put some time into this game.

Yeah. But then I said the same about SOD when they announced SOD2, so…

Everyone will have plenty of time to check out State of Decay 2, as the sequel is probably years away:

You need to upgrade your command center to get more outposts. You will need a computer expert to upgrade to command center 3. There are mods that also increase outposts. Look for the Network trader when she/he pops up.

This was a pleasant surprise. PVP & Always Online could be good…or not, depending.

That actually was what motivated me to get a move on playing the original SoD.

You can also abandon outposts to free up their slots for new ones. I think the option is in the settlement menu.

The exact premise to push me away.

Agreed - its like they made a great game, then made it worse for the sequel. And now, they want to make the third game, the very worst of the batch.

Good trailer.

I would not expect it to be released any time soon. No gameplay, no in-engine cinematics, no date given, no “Xbone One” logo on the platform list. This isn’t coming out in 2021.

SOD2 continued to make a series of significant improvements to the base game. It’s most recent iteration is its best. If they take onboard some of the most significant community asks (improved multiplayer, weather effects, etc) then SOD3 has great potential. It’s too soon to say, the trailer looks great but there are zero details.

Is there a way for me to kick a skill off of a survivor’s list. I accidentally learned mechanics on one of my two starting gals (when the other had it), and now I hve nobody I can learn computers on.

Just make the next game run smoothly and not be so janky. I liked the game but the crappy performance always dragged it down for me.

Game runs smooth 60 for me these days, maxed out at 4k. I think they gradually improved things. It does look pretty dated so not really too surprising… and yeah still has that touch of jank that I don’t think we’ll ever be rid of. Though maybe with a nice fat MS budget?

It is far better than the first game, which always struggled for a smooth frame rate.

You can always exile someone and create space for new community member.

Oops sorry, responded to the wrong person.

Just picked up State of Decay 2 : Juggernaut Edition for $8 in the Epic Game holiday sale ($17.99-$10 coupon). I absolutely LOVED the first game, so was looking forward to getting into this one.

So far I am enjoying it (I’m at the point where the tutorial ends, asking me to move to the truck stop). However, I am not impressed with how consoley (is that a word?) this sequel is. The first game had what I thought was a pretty solid and detailed UI for a PC game. Sure, there were parts of it that were a bit monotonous (inventory management), but overall it worked well. This game’s UI just seems so made-for-console, and since I am a hardcore KB/mouse user who never plays with a controller, it’s kind of annoying. The whole clothing thing is ridiculously consoley as well. Finding a floppy pimp hat or whatever instead of much needed supplies makes me feel like I’m playing Zombie Fortnite. Ugh.

That said, much of what made the original game so much fun for me is back for a second round in this game, so I can overlook the awkward UI and floppy hats and hopefully just enjoy the State of Decay experience of smashing zombie skulls, maintaining supplies, strategizing how to place my outposts for maximum effect and micro-managing my base building and survivor development.

You’ll find lot’s of nice quality of life improvements in the UI as well, transferring stuff from your car once it’s parked straight into base inventory is excellent for instance…