Steam 2011/2012 Holiday Sale Thread

For someone who loves Skyrim but hates Far Cry 2, exactly where is Just Cause 2 on that continuum?

Then the comparison is just fine, because it’s $5 for a game that is ‘beyond the pale of any standard manshoot’, where the shooter is $7.50. So if they want me money for their mediocre ‘meat and potatoes shooter’, it should be somewhere below the cost of the absolute toybox.

As it is I currently have Crysis 2 boring the shit out of me in hour long stretches and Metro 2033 on the backburner.

Well, I was just considering those games as pure areas to explore (as opposed to their full suite of gameplay mechanics). The environment in Just Cause 2 is larger, more diverse, and more fun to travel than the environment in either Skyrim or FC2, but the fact that it is in third person, and there are no interiors, diminishes some of the immersion for me.

As a game JC2 is far more Far Cry 2 than Skyrim, but it does avoid many of FC2’s pitfalls, primarily by making it really easy and fun to travel around (in addition to a variety of vehicles, it also has straight-up fast travel).

I, too:

Wowzers, guess they’ve outgrown themselves temporarily.

Edit: Huh, nothing there I want. I was actually most excited for Shogun 2, but they hit my magic $10 price point just a couple days ago in their individual daily sale and my trigger fired, so now I am not sure there’s anything. Especially given that I haven’t even launched Shogun 2, or Orcs Must Die which I got on a daily sale weeks ago.

Meanwhile, I’m at 76 hours in Skyrim and no end in sight…

I think it was like €5 on Origin the other day, as part of their daily deals.

Sorry, just getting back to this. I had the same problem with Oblivion. First person games are impossible for me as far as the Nausea, but at some point the camera movement in a lot of games has affected me. It is not as severe with the ones you can pull back on and I hear from some folks say that if you just power through that in a week or so your brain works it all out.

Recently, Fallout New Vegas was a problem especially when I have to move the camera around a lot in the indoor environments.

Back to Zee Deelz.

Okay, thanks. I did find the concept of Far Cry 2 intriguing but the sheer repetitiveness and the endless driving around to get to missions turned me off. With more stuff to do and quicker ways to get there, JC2 should be worth a try.

So Dead Island showed up for $10, which would make me bite even though I’d rather play it on 360, then I refresh because Steam is barfing with the load and it’s back up to $27.

WTF Steam? I call shenanigans!

For those who can’t access Steam or its site from work/prison, etc., the following new games are NOT on sale, meaning you won’t be seeing any discounts on them unless they are a daily deal:

Anno 2070, $49.99
Assassin’s Creed Revelations, $49.99
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, $59.99
Skyrim, $59.99

Batman: Arkham City is still $49.99 but it’s available as part of the Warner Games Pack that goes for $74.99. The pack includes the DLC, as well.

I’m getting this too. You’d think they would rent sufficient extra capacity from a cloud provider to prevent this from happening. It’s hardly their first sale. I wonder if the site being difficult to access in the first few minutes is actually part of the marketing strategy.

DX:HR is back down to $33.50 and Space Marine is back down to $37.50. So hopefully those guys hit daily sales and drop down to around $20, then I’d be willing to pop for them.

Sins Trilogy is down to $14.40 and Two Worlds is down to $20. Move both of those to $9.99 and I’d call it sold.

Bob Vila is their sysadmin.

4.3 million people online on Steam right now, no wonder their servers are buckling under pressure!

Wanted to pick up Space Rangers 2 for $4.99. They must be getting hammered. No luck. Guess I’'l try again later.

This deserves to be posted on every page of this thread. Just a little restraint, friends.

it’s not really a big deal though is it, maybe $5 here or there, and maybe someone has a few days off work before january 2 and fancies playing a new game prior to that? surely people can buy what they want, when they want. just because you are a smart cookie who is happy to wait, doesn’t mean everyone else should.

Yeah, check this out for some highlights. Even skimming the images will give you a good idea of the terrain and traversal variety: Postcards From Panau | Rock Paper Shotgun

It’s a good bit of advice. I’m not certain what about it twigged your bitch reflex, but you really don’t have to get snippy. This is my first Steam sale and I’d have gotten gouged on the last one if not for the advice to wait. Lo and behold, New Vegas went on super sale the next day.

Patience is a virtue.

If you are actually going to play the game between now and the end of the sale, more power to you. Go for it. Just don’t complain if that game goes on a daily sale for even cheaper a few days later, because you will have lost all right to do so.

If you’re not going to play the game between now and the first week in January, then wait.

As someone noted, it was just a glitch where it was applying both the Winter Sale discount and the daily deal discount from yesterday, since it hadn’t yet realized that the daily deal from yesterday had run out (a bug due to there being no ‘daily deal’ in that same singular sense today, or maybe someone has to manually adjust it).

And bah, I’ll be traveling for most of this sale, so I might miss out on a bunch of the daily achievement prizes. As pointless and sales-focused as they might be, they at least get me to spend some time on games I’d otherwise been neglecting.