Steam 2011/2012 Holiday Sale Thread

I went to that price during the last sale, so there’s hope it’ll be a daily deal this time or during the New Year sale.

These will likely never be sold on Steam, you realize that right?

They ARE on sale through Matrix Games though.

I use Just Cause 2 to enteirtain my 3 years old cousin. We steal a car and race around the map. I have a mod so we can buy any of the cars in the game for 0$.

The map is beautiful, really really really pretty. The crash are amazing. I doubt the game has any other use than fun stuns, but theres nothing like it at that.

There are a number of indie bundles, and I’d say that the “Mega” Indie Bundle is worth your consideration. It costs $20 and included in it are:
Atom Zombie Smasher
Avadon
Everyday Shooter
Rochard
Sanctum

There are several other games too, but those are the ones that caught my eye.

The “Super” Bundle is also great, with:
Cave Story +
Dungeons of Dredmor
Gemini Rue
LIMBO

(and others)

You’re worth far more than $9.99, Tracy!

But your advice is sound – Geneforge Saga will be no more than $9.99 for the sale and it could pop up on a daily deal. I think I picked up Avadon for less so there is precedence with Spiderweb games.

Except the exploration, if any. I’m not that enamored with the engine either. But it’d be fun to head up to the tops of a few mountains.

Apparently I’m supposed to varnish the cache server.

Heh. I’d post my pic to prove you wrong but don’t want to shit up the thread that badly. :)

Portal 2 for $7.49? Sold!

thank you. I could be in at that price

I’ve had Singularity on my wishlist for a bit, but $7.50 just feels like too much for a year and a half old game that got pretty mediocre rankings. Especially when an absolute grand slam like Just Cause 2 is $5.

What grabbed me and made me complete the game + sinking tons of hours in it were the achievements (I did all of them).
I’m not a big fan of pure sanboxes where I have to create my own fun but those achievements gave me a direction / a goal to work for.

You don’t need any DLC by the way (I didn’t use any of them and I got them all cheap before) as it’s only to create more “fun” for the sandbox lovers.

FUEL is even emptier than Just Cause 2, but I ended up putting some 20 hours into it anyway, just trying out all the various vehicles and zooming around the countryside. Some of the bikes turn the game into the best Endor Landspeeder Simulator ever (well, sans the hover and laser blasting part).

If the demo on JC2 didn’t grab you, well, not sure what to say. Still, 5 bucks.

Warner Bros. Pack is interesting. $75 for

Bastion
Arkham City (+DLC)
Arkham Asylum
All the FEARS
A couple LEGO games
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
+other stuff

I wasn’t impressed with the demo the first couple of times I played it. Ended up buying the full game and absolutely loving it. The demo just tosses you in with no warmup, which can be a massive turn off to people who look for a little more guidance.

I say go for it at $5 even if you were a little iffy on the demo. You’d have to have actively hated every second with it for me to backtrack on what I said in my last sentence.

You’ll be missing a very solid, meat-and-potatoes manshoot for a great price, then. I paid something like $15 or $20 for it and didn’t feel ripped off.

Comparing it to JC2 for $5 is silly, of course. JC2 is just an absolute toybox of explosions and base jumping and physics-buggering wrist hooks that puts it beyond the pale of any standard manshoot.

The demo did not sell me either, but I don’t agree that it’s representative. You just don’t know what your options are and the starting area is quite limited as I recall, with everything being a big jump & parachute away when you don’t know how to do that stuff well. I say get JC2. The arcadey combat is what it is, but as a cruise-round-a-thon of the type you describe, it’s really good IMO.

Hopefully someone will accidentally mega-discount Dead Island again. Also waiting on Arkham City, and Shogun 2.

Okay. I don’t need to be sold on the game since I’ll get my time and money’s worth if it’s merely fun to explore for a few hours.

Tim James: It absolutely is fun to explore for a few hours. A few dozen hours, easily. Like Skyrim, Just Cause 2 is a pretty engrossing experience even if you take out the stuff that makes it a “game.” Desert towns, jungle ruins, snowy temples, JC2 has it all, and you can fly, run, grapple or walk at your will. The only comparable exploration games (for me) are Far Cry 2 and Skyrim.

Everyone: The delightful Delve Deeper is $1.24. It’s a turn-based, hex-based boardgame on your PC where you lead a team of dwarfs to mine out a mountain to find treasure, fight monsters, and finish the game with more loot than your competitors. For just a quarter more, get the map add-on pack. Fun retro graphics, decent AI, a jolly sense of humor, and hotseat multiplayer. I highly recommend it.