Steam forums hacked

time to change your passwords

But that’s a Kotaku article…

I believe the proper nomenclature is:

STEAM FORUMS HACKED!

I tried to change my PW as a precaution on the Steam site, but couldn’t. Silly thing.

given how popular steam is, i thought it best to go ahead and link the article in spite of the source. the steam forums are currently “down for maintenance” so i think the story is quite possibly accurate.

This is being reported at a number of places.

More password changing! Yay!

It happened last night and is in fact real. I even tweeted it! :O

No word yet if it was just the forums or the entire service.

Wait, I have to change my password using the Steam program only? Who thought that was a good idea?

Not another major online gaming platform…Jeez.

Is there evidence that the user accounts on the forums were compromised? Or is it just a precautionary measure at this time.

I don’t think I ever used the Steam forums. But even if I did, and if I did use the same username and password, Steam Guard should prevent any issues from losing my actual Steam account.

Eh? No, the forum accounts are separate and changed via the UserCP.

EDIT: Was directed @ Brian

Just in time for me to sign up for a steam forum account too. Just to be safe I just changed my steam password.

Eurogamer originally picked up the story before Kotaku, and now a lot of people are posting about it based on images posted on Reddit and various forums. People on NeoGaf reported getting spam emails, although I have yet to get anything.

I saw it last night as it was going on, definitely threw me off for a moment. Other users are reporting it was a Valve developer account on the forums that got hacked, as the account was seen posting a lot of weird things before the whole mess was pulled.

Would be nice if they at least posted an update stating the extent of the intrusion, if just a low level forum defacing or if something more serious was compromised.

Ahhh, well I can’t even log in anyway to change 'em. Thanks though. :)

This makes me thankful both that I have a unique password for Steam and that I never visit or participate in the cesspit that is the Steam forums.

Changed actual Steam password and made it stronger in the process. No forum access for me.

This is getting ridiculous, was it lastpass that people were recommending or is there another password manager I should look into? I think I recall 1Password being good as well, and is compatible with Steam/iOS devices?

Edit: Seems 1Password may not be too good for iOS devices…

You could just write them down. I’ve a little book where I keep all my unique passwords / usernames / etc.

Well, that explains why the forums were down last night when I was trying to troubleshoot Magicka.

I use LastPass.