Steam Stuff - What Has the Digital Distribution Giant Done Lately?

I just wish they’d use Google Authenticator like everyone else, but whatevs.

I’m just pissed by the mandatory marketplace lockdown when you replace the phone your account is tied to. Lost out on selling a bunch of cards when I broke my phone on day 1 of the last summer sale and had to wait two weeks until the replacement was fully accepted by Steam…

So I woke up this morning and this was on my screen.

Please advise?

Why do you think it’s Steam related?

Edit: it says Value, not Valve.

That seems like bad news. I wouldn’t type anything in that window, and download process monitor to get a process tree and see what spawned it.

Often there’s a reasonable explanation, like beta testers or crowdfunding backers getting free copies. Those kinds of users are going to be more enthusiastic and more likely to leave a positive review.

But there are also a LOT of people who want to offer positive reviews in exchange for free copies. Launching a game on Steam gets you a tidal wave of this kind of spam. Someone must be taking them up on it.

Well sure, why not? The free game costs you zero dollars, while positive reviews bring in money. It’s unclear how to stop that cycle other than disallowing reviews from free codes, but since you can distribute codes any way you want and charge for them outside Steam, that seems basically impossible.

Well I’ll be damned.

Oddly timed in response to today’s GI.biz article about the recent debacle with visual novels, Valve has released a statement about the recent issue and their “plans” going forward.

(Spoilers: it’s vague and meaningless, and includes the same sort of promises they’ve been making for years about providing better filters and curation tools, while also going out of its way to talk about things that really aren’t their business as a storefront to care about, like the endless “is this a game?” arguments.)

Beta version of Steam includes a fancy new Chat client overlay, complete with .gif and video embedding, and image and link preview, and other stuff. I’m trying it out now.

That group chat interface looks an awful lot like Discord. I wonder if they licensed some stuff or just reinvented that wheel?

Good question.

I just tried it out, my first thought is I like it. You can drag commonly accessed friends to a top access bar, and paste images directly into the client (no more having to post a screen or image on Screencast first and getting a link). Nice.

e:
Example.

Fuck the interface, remove the friends list level cap, then I’ll give a shit about their interface.

if they fix their voice chat and make it near discord quality, i will literally never touch discord again

That’s the general idea, they’re going after Discord.

Not sure how that melds with the famous Valve “work on whatever the hell you want to” philosophy. Hard to imagine a group of guys deciding to roll their desks together to destroy Discord. But hey, who knows.

You think a bunch of guys at Valve pushed their desks together and said, “OK guys, for the next several years, all we’re gonna do is make hats.”

Well, one of them was named Jervis, you see, and…

You are blowing my mind, man. You mean to imply working at Valve isn’t a utopian paradise, where unicorns with ribbons plainted in their manes daintily lick your balls as you work on whatever wild tangent strikes your fancy?

No, it’s probably that. All I’m sayin’ is sooner or later someone’s gotta pay the bills.

I read on Reddit that not only has the voice quality improved, but that the latency was better than discord.

But that’s just like, some guys opinion, man.

Ps @Scotch_Lufkin, glad to see I’m not blocked!