Steam Stuff - What Has the Digital Distribution Giant Done Lately?

That’s been in long enough for me to forget when it went in. It’s super-handy. If you want to install the game on your laptop, that’s in the dropdown menu next to the stream button. You need to be logged into steam on both machines iirc.

So streaming games from Steam to a surface or Ipad, obviously the games weren’t designed for mobile touch control, how well do games work? Do you pretty much have to use a controller to have a good experience? I’m not quite getting the appeal of this, I mean, it doesn’t sound like a good experience to play a PC game on my 10" ipad sitting in my lap with a controller in my hand. Am I missing something?

In my case I have a keyboard and will just be playing m/kb games like strategy or rpgs. I guess I could connect my controller to it but it would be too small of a screen for those kind of games.

So guys, was there ever any solution found to the slow Steam download problem? I’m downloading a game now and am getting freaking 300 KB/s. That’s it. I did a speed test and am clocking near 400 MB/s on that, so I am super fucking confused. Thank you.

Have you tried changing your download location? Also, shut the active window of the Epic launcher - that thing is murder on system performance.

Epic Launcher isn’t running, and I’ve tried three download locations, LA (closest to me), Seattle and San Jose, all are slow as molasses.

Okay wow, it must be the particular game. I’m trying to download this thing called Warzone-X, was getting less than 100kb/s. I switched to randomly downloading Star Wars: Force Unleashed: It’s at about 46MB/s. Crazy difference.

I was going to suggest trying one of the LAN event servers, hardly anyone uses them. Edit: They’re gone now, so exactly nobody uses them.

cries in Comcast

I’ve had weird slowdowns or stopping of downloads for minutes at a time on steam the last week or so but not in all games. Some downloaded maxed out the whole time. I didn’t do anything to fix it but yesterday I didn’t notice the issue.

CDNs usually only cache more popular content. So maybe a bunch of people are downloading SW:FU and no one’s downloading Warzone-X?

Quite possibly!

If you have a Surface you’ll most likely have the keyboard (incl. touchpad) for it anyways. You can fold it to use it as a stand when lying in bed. Use an additional Bluetooth mouse and you’ll have lots of gaming options being in a very comfy spot. And there are games working well with the Surface’s screen size but are too heavy on it’s hardware, e.g. XCOM, The Sexy Brutale, Space Tyrant, Wasteland 2. Those games I have streamed and enjoyed playing - not for days but for some hours while I was lying in bed (recently when I had the flu). I also tried playing Dead Cells and Hyper Light Drifter with an Xbox controller and I thought it was an okay experience too.

The Surface in general is a pretty neat gaming device for ‘good old games’ (thanks to it being a full-fledged Windows laptop) and of course for all sorts of adventure games (e.g. Wadjet Eye Games for which you’ll need a mouse). And there are situations Steam’s streaming really comes in handy.

Is that really comfortable? Do you sit up and lean back against the headboard while gaming? I even struggle to watch a movie on my tablet in bed, so I can’t imagine actually playing a game there. But perhaps thats just me.

Yep.

Depends on your back muscles, the bed and your demands on comfort ;-) As long as I don’t need to hold the Surface it’s quite comfy, yes.

Geez you guys, this is ridiculous.

If you have a VPN you could connect to it and see if your ISP is throttling you. There was a time where my YouTube was being throttled, it was infuriating.

Or try downloading the same game from a laptop on another connection, just to confirm if it is ISP throttling.

Ohhh, I do have a VPN! I’ll try that! Thanks!

VPN, shockingly, resulted in pretty much the same speeds. I’ve no idea what’s going on.

Not to insult you with such basic advice, but did you reboot your modem and router?