STEAM SUMMER SALE 2017, June 22-July 5

I think I saw that back at release and thought it looked a bit too weird and janky for me. I’m kind of overwhelmed at the moment anyway.

Aye, aren’t we all.

The only games I pay full retail price for are MMO’s at launch day because I know I’ll get alot of bang for my buck

The beautiful thing about digital content, it never goes bad…unlike food…I saw steam is selling M.A.X. …that game came out in 1998…thats almost 20 years ago !!

and paradox just raised prices on everything…I can pretty much tell you I won’t be buying any NEW paradox games anytime soon

I see this, as did Ubisoft!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/6byqe0/paradox_and_ubisoft_increased_their_games_prices/

It sounds like this was done because the purchasing power of those regions increased, so if they hadn’t it would be “cheaper” to buy their games in those regions, this is supposed to keep the cost in line with other regions.

It came off as them scamming by raises prices right before a Steam Sale. Gotta remember customers usually assume the worst. I don’t know if this was intentional, but given how their CEO likes to test pricing stuff out I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

Paradox is eating mad shit on EUIV because of this. Mostly negative steam reviews and such.

To be fair, Paradox has nickel and dimed folks for years, so I consider this somewhat the chickens coming home to hatch- but EUIV isn’t a “mostly negative” game.

One of the saddest things gamingwise about this decade to me has been Paradox’s decline from one of my favorite publishers to one of my least favorite. They went from great value for money to terrible value for money. This is one more step for folks in those regions. That really is my complaint with Paradox, I don’t think the quality of their games once fully expanded has declined much if at all, I just think you’re paying a lot more for a product that isn’t a lot better.
It’s just not worth it anymore.

Don’t know that there’s really anything calling my name for this sale. I have things I want to play sometime, but when to find the time is the problem. I want to get Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2, Forza Horizon 3, Deus Ex MD (Jensen became a doctor, doncha know!), Fallout 4 and the new Prey, but particularly with things like RPGs I think, how? So, looking at my isthereanydeal wait list I think the only thing I would really jump on is Shen’s Last Gift for XCOM 2 for $5 or less. Or Far Cry Primal if it went down to something absurd like $10–I’m interested in that at least partly due to the theoretical Proto-Indo-European they made up for it (nerdy, I know).

Also, I know it’s silly but I just thought the sales were more fun when there were daily deals, flash deals and community choice stuff–easy for me to say of course because I live in the Pacific time zone, which is Valve’s. And I know they don’t do those things now because of refunds and all that. Which, by making it less fun, is actually a good thing, considering my nutty backlog.

@Penny_Dreadful Flight Simulator X with Skychaser Add On just went on sale at 75% off ($7.49) (oddly cheaper than just buying the base game). I really doubt it’ll be any cheaper in the Summery Sale. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/85866/ or http://store.steampowered.com/sub/102837/ if you want it packaged with a different plane.

lmao - the paradox forums are the worst.

So; since 25 posters account for 432 of the posts (23 pages of the thread), last night I have locked the thread to those that have repeatedly posted here. Feel free to share your opinion on the price increase, but the same people posting over and over causes those that post once ore twice to be lost in the shuffle.

For those that have lost access to this thread, do not open another thread about this, as you have already indicated your feelings.

I don’t have a problem with them changing the price for that reason, but that is a weird bag of countries to group together as needing to increase prices to account for purchasing power. Even going by a crude metric like the ‘Big Mac Index’ from the Economist, (Our Big Mac index shows how burger prices are changing) Brazil is actually 1% overvalued against the USD, while South Africa is 60% undervalued - but they both get price increases? I would have liked to have seen a proper explanation from Paradox than just ‘this is what it is - now shut up’.

[quote=“Scott_Lufkin, post:38, topic:130155”]If I were to wait and only buy games on Steam sales though, I could literally save hundreds of dollars and get all the games I really, really wanted. Who has that kind of willpower though?
[/quote]

I think the last time I paid full price for a game was Grand Theft Auto III, which Google tells me was about 16 years ago.

When you have a ton of games in your backlog, the thought of spending $60 on one new title seems like lunacy.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven’t tried a civilian flight sim since I bought MSF 2004, which I really enjoyed.

I think I remember Croteam doing this a couple years back. It’s terrible on mobile stores though, where assholes raise the price of their POS shovelware titles hundreds of dollars just so they can discount them 98% and climb to the top of all of the “bargain” lists, even though the original price is still the same.

I see this constantly with Amazon and eBay listings (massively undercut the rest of the listings for an item to move to the top of the list, but make up for it by charging the difference in shipping), but never on the App Store or Google Play. Maybe I’m just not looking at those apps?

In the case of Brazil (one of the countries where they increased prices), that’s patently false. Paradox increased prices because they want more money, pure and simple.

Ditto. Not because of price alone, though, but lots of little things that add up over time. It’s sad, really. I really like a lot of the people who work there. But the game publisher/dev I used to like is no longer there.

I just can’t believe that a Paradox said “You know what? We don’t charge our Brazilian customers enough. They are a rich country, we can milk them for more.” There is a solid business reason behind it, but gamers will never accept that.

You’re right, of course. Their solid business reason is “we want more money, but we can’t raise our prices in the US and Europe, so let’s raise it elsewhere”. And they did.

BTW, Paradox is not the only one to do that. Bethesda did the same recently with Brazil, and in their case it was so preposterous that considering just the currency exchange their games were more expensive in Brazil than anywhere else in the world. The funniest part is that they reduced prices on their games recently to the “normal” prices in Brazil, but the expansions/DLC are still priced as before. That creates curious things like the Fallout 4 Season Pass costing more than double the price of the base game.

Other than “we need more money”, Paradox had no valid business reason to raise prices here, even more so since currency exchange has improved for them in the last 12-18 months, and they never changed prices when it got worse. Of course, that was before their IPO.

Now, you could argue that “wanting more money for the same value compared to nearly all their competitors” is a solid business reason. It would be a terrible argument, but let’s allow it. Well, it’s just as solid a reason that I will refuse to give them my money if they refuse to respect market prices in my region, is it not? Even more so when they didn’t change prices when they would arguably be justified to do so?

Well they obviously think they can raise prices and their customers are willing to pay that amount (which is perfectly valid reason). It would be stupid of them not to if it increases their profits (especially now that they are public). But we haven’t seen their books either.

I’m thinking the rumored dates are accurate, since I just crafted a Leap of Fate badge, and one of the three items I received was a trading card titled Mysterious 4 (Steam Summer Sale 2017).

Yep, these dates leaked last month I think. Saw something either here or on Twitter with 6-22 tabbed as the start date.

I typically base the dates on when GoG have their sale. Seems they like to jump in before Valve do theirs.

Aren’t game prices in Brazil and Russia extremely cheap as the industry saw it as the only way to discourage piracy? Maybe Paradox thought their games were being heavily pirated already, so why not bring prices inline with US etc…