STEAM Summer Sale 2018

Appreciate your thoughts on Conan @Tman. I’ll hold off buying it for now.

Slime Rancher
Game Dev Tycoon
My Time at Portia

Fallout 4 is a pretty solid entry in the franchise, and great for one (maybe even two?) play throughs.

My Time at Portia
Astroneer

I think I’m done unless someone has suggestion for $3 left in my steam wallet.

Did you check out Glass Masquerade? :)

Well you know me, I’ll mod it to death so I can play more than twice.

I’ve played through twice fully, and a few other partials. Definitely prefer the female protagonist. Can’t say why.

Sure, buy two more games!

And you have change left over!

I love Arx Fatalis. Stays permanently installed on my HD.

[Crossposted from the indie game thread]

I just played an hour or two of Fate Tectonics!

This game is basically what you get nine months after you send Tetris on a romantic Mediterranean cruise with Populous. What I like about it (beyond the core world-building systems) is that there appears to be a number of modes to play in with differing playstyles.

You may or may not love the art, but it’s got character. What I predict you definitely will not love is how the character hover around the game screen unpredictably, but I’ve learned to tolerate it.

Oh, and it’s a dollar in the Steam sale!

While FO4 base is $19.99 CDN, the GoTY version is $39.99. Is twice the price worth getting the GoTY version over the base? I’ve been holding off for so long but the game hasn’t hit my must-buy target (mainly because of my backlog of games). Or, is it better to wait for the release of the new FO to see if that drags prices down more?

To me, no, but I never picked up the DLC. The $20 base price is a great price for the game, it’s a big game with a ton of content. I can’t speak to the quality of the DLC, but I doubt it’s “better” than the main game enough to warrant that price difference (certainly it’s not going to come anywhere close to doubling the base game in terms of stuff).

But all that came out after I got kind of burned out on Fallout 4, so I’m probably also the wrong person to ask. Maybe to someone that never played it, having all that at once would be amazing - assuming you got into the game itself really good.

I personally find Fallout 4 is quite fun as long as you feel comfortable using mods and, frankly imho, don’t mind ignoring much of the main story. The actually good DLC bits are Far Harbor and Automatron, but the rest are needed for the purposes of many mods and the cost of the season pass is just a little more than those two purchased separately.

On Conan, I think there are some server settings (like decay) that might be causing the problems Tman is running into. I played solo up until about level 50 and then joined kono’s QT3 server and played up to level 60 (224 total hours according to steam) and never hit the problems Tman did, but neither one had decay on. I don’t know for sure if it decay or not, but something must be different.

I wrote up my full thoughts in the Conan thread, but I’ll try to summarize based on the mentioned desire for a solo experience. Solo means you are going to setup your own “server” (just runs local) and can adjust a lot of parameters to deal with the experience how you want. If you feel like it is grindy, you can up the XP multiplier. If you feel like you don’t do enough damage, you can change the damage multipliers, etc. You can use the console to give yourself anything, boost values, speed things up, etc. Willpower is all that stops you from that…

I played the default settings and really enjoyed my solo experience. Eventually, I thought harvesting to make certain things would just be a lot easier if I had more people working on it and joined the Qt3 server. The world bosses can be solo’d, but they are really meant for groups. If you are the kind of gamer that will move on after 60-80 hours anyway, that’s probably when the game is at its best (at least solo). If you want something that will last >100 hours, that will really depend on what your goal is in the game. If you like building things and that’s your goal, I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t get it now.

No harm in waiting though.

I am tempted to get Sid Meier’s Starships since it is half off on Steam. It has mixed reviews both among QT3ers and on Steam. @tomchick listed it as one of his most surprising games of 2015 so I’m curious.

With appropriate expectations about what this game is and isn’t trying to achieve, I wonder if it is fun?

If by fun you mean your head slamming into your keyboard as you nod off to sleep then yes it is fun. If that is not your idea of fun I suggest you spend your entertainment dollars elsewhere.

If you can wait I’d suggest doing so, as Starships has been cheaper (75% off vs. the current 50%) several times across Steam, Fanatical and GreenManGaming in the past, and it has appeared as part of several bundles in the past year or so as well.

DON’T DO IT. DON’T. Seriously, just don’t. It’s boring and terrible. Do yourself a favor and get this instead.

It sounds like I may be better off going the route @Scotch_Lufkin suggested, sticking with the base game at half the price. It’s unlikely I’ll mod the game up much, and I won’t have the time to play it through multiple times. On the other hand, I dislike missing out on content added to the base game via DLC (i.e. game mechanics, NPCs, story, etc). I’ll let it settle for a bit and see which side of the fence I fall on. I really think it’s time to knock FO4 from my wishlist.

Get the mod where the Settlers rebuild things automagically unless you’re super into base building yourself. Big atmosphere improvement.