Steam Winter Sale Damage Thread

Setsuna seems pretty charming, as advertised. Pretty graphics, snowy mood, lovely piano score, total comfort-food JRPG gameplay mechanics. The combat took a while to settle into (mainly the visual cues and timing of Momentum Strikes) but it seems robust. A nice blend of real-time and turn-based.

The only odd thing with the game is playing it on PC instead of 3DS. On PC it inevitably has to compare with the other RPGs I’m playing like Tyranny or The Witcher III. Makes it seem a bit simple in comparison. Then again, maybe that’s a plus if I’m not in the mood to dig into a deep, vast RPG and want a lighter RPG session.

I put in about an hour last night and got whacked by the first boss-type fight then realized I forgot to save and lost about a half hour of progress. That’s another aspect that feels okay on portable hardware with its cartridge legacy but on PC it just seems like an arbitrarily punishing design choice. Why not throw me an autosave bone?! But it only took about ten minutes to catch up, retracing my steps and button-mashing through the text boxes without reading.

I also tried Thumper and Abzu last night, both of which are stunning. Thumper immediately joined my list of top three best games on Vive. I think I’ll have to pick up Redout next because these seated experience, blazing-fast futuristic Rez/racer type games just astonish in VR. It’s the perfect blend of hardware and genre. And Abzu is a wonderful diving experience that feels like Proteus merged with a giant aquarium. Swimming with real-world species of sharks and turtles and fish was a delightful surprise. Afterall, what’s more otherworldly than a trumpetfish?

Really borked, it’s been down for hours

Just popped back up for me.

Man, I wish I’d waited on Dishonored 2. Picked it up for $60 on release day, then heard about the performance issues so I played other games for the last 5 weeks, now it’s down to only $40.

But I waited on Watch Dogs 2 and it’s also selling for $40… tempting.

I know Arkham Knight had it’s problems, but it still sorta amazes me that this game can be had for 6 bucks.

Gawd, yes. What an age we live in.

Don’t feel embarrassed, but the correct title is Norabunga’s Ambition.

Neither nay or yay, but an unhelpful “may”-be for

I enjoyed a bit of my time with it: it felt like Icewind Dale from the point of view of Wizardry - there is probably a better comparison, but it escapes me right now -, but, just like IWD, incidently, it ultimately tested my patience too much; I gave up on it after a dozen hours.

• Pinball Arcade Season 3 pro pack (just to support Farsight, I already own all the tables as “regular” version, it’s 75% off)
  • rFactor 2
  • Deus Ex Mankind Divided (never played the previous one)
  • Owlboy
  • Rocksmith 2014
  • Steep
  • Stern Pinball Arcade when it’s finally available!! AC/DC and Star Trek, man.

So far…

Total War: Warhammer: $45.
Helldivers: $15 (I’m a sucker for DLC)

Probably won’t be any more than that, unless I really want for something else. TWW will fill both my singleplayer docket and my co-op docket for some time to come, I suspect.

I was pretty bad during the Thanksgiving sale, so I’m trying to resist as much as I can - but damn if there still aren’t a lot of good games out there. The ones that are tempting me the most are - Inside, Shadow Warrior 2, Superhot, Shadow Tactics - Blades of the Shogun, Soma, The Witness, Salt and Sanctuary. Even the new Master of Orion, Firewatch, and The Witness are tempting. I resisted new MOO during Thanksgiving and am pretty sure I can do it again!

How does Coop work in TW games?

I’m holding off for now in case anyone is using my Steam wishlist for gift ideas, but am seriously considering Ori and the Blind Forest, Ys VI, Seraph, and Starward Rogue.

Did you get the Zubmariner bundle?

Forgive my laziness, but what was the consensus on this?

There’s been recent discussion of this in the thread for the game, if you haven’t read it.

That it’s a decent, if basic 4X game. Like Kevin said there are more details in its thread.

You should ask my favorite Santa this year @Scotch_Lufkin.

He’s been explaining it to me and then yesterday forced the game into my Library. I’m unable to get it going right now but he knows All The Things.

Hello, @Scotch_Lufkin, whaaat’s happening. Umm, I’m going to need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow. If you could have a detailed co-op description by around… 9:00, that would be great. Okay?

Why do I get the feeling that will be my epitaph?