Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

By now it’s a Paradox tradition! ;)

Poor tutorials. The cannon fodder of progress.

Actually Stellaris has a pretty good tutorial/guide. Don’t know if it was updated though.

Yes, it does look like the Tutorial was updated.

2.0 is good fun so far, although I feel the changes will become much more evident mid and late game, early game didn’t ever have many problems. I think I like the change of system borders, it definitely makes the early game feel slower yet more strategic.

I was looking at the achievements, and it is amazing that 74% of game owners haven’t even colonized a planet. I guess most people haven’t even played the game?

I’ve owned it for almost an entire year, and just played my first game this week. :)

Also achievements are only given out in Ironman mode, perhaps people just want more than 1 save.

Also there are probably a ton of Humble Monthly owners.

Or they use mods. I have a custom name list that invalidates achievements by itself for whatever reason.

I’ve played a couple hundred hours, but don’t play in Ironman, so thus no achievements… but i can assure you that i’ve colonized a few planets :)

No, it’s just that you only get achievements if you play Ironman.

Edit: I see it was already answered, oops!

Yeah, I forgot about that. Okay, makes more sense now. :)

I think a lot of people wait for the game to be out of Early Access these days.

BAW GAWD THAT GAME HAD A FAMILY

Well, I’m off to a good start. Going wide with Fanatic Authoritarian/Spiritualist slavers with Mining Guilds/Slaver Guilds as civics, which is pretty much the optimal start as far as I’m concerned. I’ll be damned if I’m going to lose a game of Stellaris after a major new patch, so I just went full on cheese.

My first major observation: the game is far longer now. Influence is an extreme hard-cap on expansion speed, as claiming any new system requires influence, either through war or peacefully. Normally I’d control at least 30% of the galaxy now in a 12 civ, 800 star game, and be building up for invading the nearest Fallen Empire for their tech. I don’t think it will be possible to pop the victory screen before 2300 anymore, which was extremely easy to do pre 2.0 on even 1000 star galaxies.

Still, I haven’t fell to much into a lull of nothing-to-do, and I’m greatly enjoying my experience with the expansion and patch so far.

Edit: Here’s a helpful tip for playing wide that would have altered my decision-making: the Mastery of Nature ascension perk that gives the new Land Clearance edict is basically worthless if you are playing wide, as it costs as much influence as it does to take a planet from a neighboring xeno, and it only adds 1-3 slots. I deeply regret not choosing Interstellar Dominion instead.

An enemy empire declared war on me, invaded my planet and immediately deleted a large portion of the buildings and pops. He then invaded a second planet in the same system. Despite only holding on to them for a few months without the war ending, I lost ~4000 minerals worth of buildings and pops.

Am I missing something?

Troops now cause collateral damage when they invade, and bombardments seem to be more impactful on your infrastructure than they were previously. Different kinds of troops do more or less collateral damage. Regular ones do a fair bit, Slave Armies do quite a bit more, and the Xenomorph armies do so much that even though they are quite powerful, unless your plan is to simply eradicate most of the indigenous population and rebuild everything, you probably shouldn’t use them.

Okay, snuck in a quick hour before I have to go run around a track, but I really like it. I had like 500 hours of Stellaris under my belt, and now the early game is completely different. Much more measured and deliberate.

Not sure what happened. Put it in my steam cart and skipped the DL button. some screens show i have it, others do not, not sure how to check it. No email on the purchase.

@MisterMourning covered it. Perhaps they had their orbital bombardment on the worst setting and just bombed the crap out of your planets? I guess invading now kills pops too. Regardless, that sounds a bit extreme, maybe they’ll fiddle with the values.

Nevermind, I resynched and it came up.