Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

I’m having trouble wrapping my head about this and my google searches aren’t answering me…

Is offensive war (with my goal being to take their systems) in Stellaris similar to EU4? In this case: 1. Attack their fleets and starbases/stations, 2. invade their planets (?), 3. run up the warscore and then 4) make peace and take the systems you have claims against? I started a small war with the goal of taking 2-3 systems but didn’t get much warscore, then realized maybe I needed to invade more to ensure I can get these 2-3 systems

Yeah you need build that warscore, either by conquering systems/planets you don’t want or by destroying their fleets/starbases. Once it’s high enough, you can force peace with them accepting your claims.

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Warfare#War_Exhaustion gives a reference point and is for v2.0

Similar, yep, the major difference being the status quo peace mechanic.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, be aware that status quo here means just that: things stay as they are right now, with a cessation in the fighting. Not status quo ante bellum (things go back to how they were before the war), as it is in EU.

So I am reading about the Glavius ai mod for Stellaris. It seems to be quite an upgrade. Same deal as Expert AI in hoi4. Why do modders seem to be able to produce so much stronger economic AI than the devs? Is it just not a focus for Paradox? Their devs are busy with the aspects that can’t be modded ?

It’s weird, according to the modder, he just changed some weights around (with a fair bit of testing, mind) to change how the AI saves and spends money. Meanwhile, Wiz wanted to do a more advanced system once the game stabilizes (now?). Which is fine, but he couldn’t find someone to put some more reasonable values in the meantime? Dude, come on!
Haven’t looked at HOI’s mod much, I think it restricts the game to a more historical path, though.

It’s not weird. The modders have more time to test their tweaks. The design team is likely too busy bug fixing and looking at adding more eye candy. Now if they would just optimize the late game slow down…gold.

Well, the weird part is that the default values work so incredibly bad. I get not being great, in fact, I don’t really care because I don’t optimize very much.

Wiz mentioned that there’s another patch in the works before they fully shift over to the next update. Hopefully there’s AI tweaks in there.

I can’t imagine AI not being a focus for Wiz, given all the work he did with the EU4 project when he was the dedicated AI Dev. If what @Perky_Goth says is accurate about Wiz wanting a more thorough overhaul of the AI, that would mirror situations in HOI4 where modders created scripted division templates as an easy (relatively) way to make the AI more competitive, but Paradox shied away from that sort of fix, since it would constantly get out of date. They wanted a more dynamic/permanent solution.

I think that intention is good, but they shouldn’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If their are immediate and major issues to address, take what action you can for a bandaid fix, in my opinion.

So I replaced my older AMD video card today with a newer Nvidia - super excited because the old can ran real hot.

Started up Stellaris and checked temperatures… mmmmmm… looking good. I was in the middle of a war, and another space battle started. I’m watching my ships moving in to smash the enemy, and I realize that I can’t see any weapons firing.

Damnit! Tried monkeying around with settings and nothing seemed to work. I backed up my savegame files and now I’m reinstalling the game, hoping that will fix it. :(

It’s likely a 2.03 issue. I wouldn’t waste too much time troubleshooting it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/update-2-03-hides-ships-firing-at-each-other.1089984/

The QA on 2.0.x has been abysmal - time to shelve this until they sort out the bugs and AI.

Dang, thanks @Otagan. A quick Google search turned up nothing like that. So I guess it’s good news that it’s not my new GPU …

Yeah, just a bizarre coincidence of timing. Methinks your card is probably fine.

Yeah, I thought 2.0 would be a good jumping in point but your points and the design flip flops keep having me shelve it. Just better and more coherent space 4Xs to spend time with while leaving Stellaris in the oven.

Was there a 2.0.3 beta? Why would they not do one? Even without a beta “no weapon graphics” seems hard to miss.

It does. Makes you wonder if they uploaded some wrong files to Steam, as it seems like no weapons would be almost immediately spotted during internal testing.

My computer just grabbed an update for Stellaris, so I think the fix may have been rolled out.

I’d like to think this bug was inserted by the pacifists at Paradox who could not stand to watch the horrors of space combat!