Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin dead

So your argument is that we should leave animals alone and let them live or die without intervention because they can possibly cause us harm? I can understand that. Where do you stand on animals that get in trouble by interacting with humans?

As an example, Irwin frequently brought his posse to a populated area where a croc or snake had found itself trapped among people. He then risked his life to rescue the creature and at personal expense, transport it back to the wild and release it. What alternative would you propose?

BTW: Usually if Steve Irwin is swimming with stuff, it isn’t for a rescue, but educational purpose. Do you also suggest that people avoid getting close to animals and studying them because it could cause us harm?

I actually thought of Grizzly Man upon reading about Steve Irwin’s death. It’s tragic, but you have to wonder if nature is even capable of understanding, or acknowledging, his love. Maybe he thought so. I remember reading somewhere that the Grizzly Man movie is about “the overwhelming indifference of nature.” There’s a shade of that in this death.

But anyway, the venomous, fanged Alzheimer’s patients are much more concerning at this point.

Hey Matthew Gallant and ScurvyPig, when you guys die can you have one of your next of kin post on qt3 so I can crack jokes about it?

To be fair, when Matt’s dad died we ranked on him for a year about it. Lots of posts like, Nice dad Matt, too bad he is dead. Or my dad could be beat your dad because you dad is dead…

Search the archives. I think matt should be allowed to at least get some payback.

Chet

If I die wrestling a giant squid, and the squid decides to defend itself (even if I was just trying to help) I would hope to be immortalised. Make fun, I just died wrestling a giant squid.

I don’t mean to say Mr. Irwin should be made fun of but KONY, you are too sentimental. As has been posted in this thread, nature is “indifferent” and that stingray is feeling no guilt.

You apparently did not see the movie? The grizzly guy was more than a little off his rocker.

Aligator skin boots come to mind. I’m all for protecting endangered species, but if it’s me or a crocodile, that’s not really much of a choice.

Nice! If we all had friends like this, more of us might choose to hang out with grizzly bears.

I said, “And whatever you do, don’t touch the dangerous stingray right there… Augh!” :)

I just keep seeing Zissou in the water shouting, “Esteban! Esteban!”

Irwin’s crew should load up on dynamite and exact some scientific revenge.

Oh, that was a joke?

Isn’t it ironc?

Just in case it helps, i added you to my buddy list.

I don’t suggest that the stingray is or should be feeling guilt. I simply said Irwin’s death is unjust. I’m sad about it. Those who paint this as a guy who wrestled crocs for fun finally having it bite him in the ass are spitting on the man’s grave before it’s even cold. Considering the good that he’s done, I think it’s unfair of them to do so.

I also think it’s wrong to compare Irwin with the Grizzly Man guy. Irwin was a staunch educator and protector of wildlife. From watching “Grizzly Man”, you can feel that guy just wasn’t right in the head. Hell, I got the impression that the Grizzly Man guy used the bears as a way to commit suicide.

Yes! I have a buddy.

I am working on my tasteless jokes. Even better, Chet is now my buddy.

I was exploring the buddy and ignore list technology. I wanted to see if I could ignore my buddy chet, but I cannot. I feel so powerless.

I actually have no idea what being someone’s buddy does (besides drive you to play with bears). I just saw it on the drop-down, what in the hell does it do?