Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin dead

I couldn’t figure that part out. Unlike the ignore list, the buddy list just seems to create a list of names.

Ah, I read the help file. If you have buddy list, you can send all your buddies the same PM.

It also lets you keep track of the friends you have made on this forum. As if I needed any help with that! They should have created a shit list. I am constantly forgetting who is on my shit list. Would everyone who is currently on my shit list please chime in? Thanks!

I am, Steve.

Matt gets to make fun of Steve Irwin because some of you made fun of Matt’s dead dad? There’s internet math for you. All of you suck.

Aren’t you on the Universal Shit List?

He did work bloody hard and was a fervent supporter of conservation - however for good TV he did push things pretty far, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if he’d ignoring the warning signs with the stingray. After all, his is only the second recorded death by stingray…

Can’t say I liked the guy (his persona grated) but I appreciate what he was trying to do and it’s a shame that the manner of his death will overshadow the good work he did.

Irwin was a little off his rocker as well.

You’re related to Steve Irwin?

Anyway, I won’t speak for ScurvyPig, but feel free at any time to make jokes that land in my vicinity. In fact, you can pretened that I’m dead now if you’d like, just like chet is pretending that my dad died. Fair’s fair.

Personally, I’m glad he’s dead. I’ve been waiting and wishing for this day for years.

Burn in hell, Steve Irwin.

Bit harsh.

And if he’s not related to Irwin that means your joke wasn’t tasteless and immature?

I still don’t get how a string ray kills anybody.

Two weeks ago I was in Sea World Orlando feeding the damn things.

I was unaware that we had so many delicate flowers around these parts.

It runs one of these through your heart?

Tasteless, perhaps. But immature? I’ll have you know that it references a television show in a block of programming named Adult Swim[I].

[/I]Either way, I in no way implied that caesarbear’s familial relationship with Steve Irwin had any import in regards to the very caring and loving joke that celebrated his life while reframing the cruel absurdity of the circumstances of his death. I was only asking for confirmation.

Clearly, you haven’t been paying attention. I remember when Mr Rogers died I wore black for years. What a great man Irwin was! I mean he was on TV, and he entertained me with jackass stunts accompanied by nature facts. Mourn, damn you. This is even more tragic than when they scraped Diana off the dash.

I still don’t get how a string ray kills anybody.

Hold it near your chest and then spook it out? I’ve no idea what he was doing to get himself pronged through the chest and I’m pretty sure it wont make the christmas bloopers reel.

I’ve dived several sting ray sites and they’re pretty passive things as long as you don’t land on them and pretty easy to “tame” if you feed them regularly enough (not something i’m particularly in favour of, but I’m not going to pass up watching some rays just because other people want to feed them).

[edit] OK just read the account from the cameraman so Irwin wasn’t touching the ray at the time. Sounds like they just made it feel “boxed in” and it choose to fight rather than run.

What a sad thing to happen. I believe that the guy you saw on TV was the same guy at home. He had a passion for animals and shared it with the world.
Watching his wacky ways was always a pleasure and his devotion to his family was evident too. His fierce stance on protecting animals deserves respect. He died doing what he loved.

He doesn’t deserve a bunch of people trolling him.

THis is really sad. And fr those that don’t know, he had 2 daughters and the oldest one is 8 years old. Dear God, I cna’t imagine how awful things will be for them missing such a wonderful and larger-than-life father. So very sad.

Welcome to the internet, his wiki page has already had editing suspended thanks to the usual raft of “hur hur hur” comments.

While his is death is tragic, until I see an official account of the incident that says Irwin was not acting inappropriately dangerously, I’d say his death is less like those and more like Ayrton Senna’s or Gus Grissom’s.

I hate that phrase.