Stonehearth: A DF-like Town Builder

I just realized we don’t have much at all on the current build. Sure. I’ll get some together. I can load my MP game. It seems more like a hot join, so yeah I can show more in a little bit, see both the towns we have set-up. We’re only a couple of hours in but there’s towns and stuff/

Wow, I don’t know how I missed that. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Multiplayer Menu. It’s just two players so you can load without the other player and they join after I have it up.

You’ve got some options in case someone leaves or more fun… trading. This helps specialize.

Mining is still a little bit of a pain because they’ll mine themselves into a hole and have trouble getting out.

But there is a newer to do custom mine shapes.

Character Roster

Job Tree - if i remember right there’s more but my new game it’s not open.

You can also give characters to players too

Character sheet.

The moods are newish

Kind of leads to more entries in Journals.

Not sure why there is a grip about food. We have food!

So town’s levels and you can choose from three different banners. I picked the Banner of Vitality, i think the other one was miner and commerce and the other battled based. I might be confusing the Hearth upgrade though.

I haven’t achieved my Hearth upgrade yet though.

Combat parties are in the game, so it recalling your people to safety. You can make a safety flag to move them to a better spot a workshop.

You don’t have to hunt around for workshops you can get to them in a man menu.

and

They cleaned up ordering workshops a bit ago.

oh yeah the lil guys interact with each other now.

They really deserve a prize for the art/ui.

@Nesrie, thanks for all the screenshots. I backed this game on Kickstarter and have been patiently waiting for it to develop. I don’t know if I’ve ever even loaded it, although I have it installed so I see when the new updates are released and can read up on the changes.

And @instant0, I have to agree on the art and UI. I really like it.

You’re welcome!

I believe the first beta version is currently available on Steam Unstable. I am using the the Alpha stable myself.

The game currently is in a status where it is playable and enjoyable but there are still a fair amount of bugs. I typically encounter them when building, like I can see random wood blocks stuck on the roof, then one little guy got stuck building a wall and couldn’t get down so I helped him down by manually adding a ladder to that wall. I had a workshop bug out on his orders and then a crash. I’ve seen worse bugs in actually released games though.

The events, quests, monsters… that’s there. The building designers is so much better too, so much better.

Seconded. Thanks @Nesrie for the screenshots and impresssions. Would love to see some screenshots of your village as it grows if you have the time.

Whelp I should be shopping for more games on Steam, I’ll probably pick up a couple tomorrow or Wednesday and then commence suggestive purchases to the gaming group but… this weekend when I wasn’t doing other stuff I did Zeus and Stonehearth. I’ve got more pics.

Here’s my little town, the back one is Blacksmith house. Other people spend a lot more time on their templates than I do so i mostly stick with that.

I do enjoy watching my little peeps build

Looks like the perfect farmer to me and his has a fine beard, no really, that’s a trait.

Found a nice stash of ore too in the mountains.

Sure wish someone would stop getting distracted and pick it up. It does no good in there.

Dang wolves.

Wood fences are barely even a pause for these guys.

I wanted a bigger home for my sewer so mostly they’ve got a nice set-up outside.

And my first full set of chickens got devoured by wolves

fortunately my shepard started some more once we cleaned house.

I had some building bugs that really slowed us down so we were not… exactly ready for this:

After goblins, the orcs came… and they’re a lot rougher. Actually now that I am looking at this, not sure if that is the goblins or the orcs. They both attacked the same spot.

Awesome. Thanks for the screenshots @Nesrie

This game looks so charming. I think you’re making a sale!

There are still some bugs with the building. I have to watch the little guys because they can get stuck but I just do a manual ladder to get them done. I think the loose consensus is the fencing might be causing the engineering error which seems to do… nothing because I just keep playing. There are some slowdowns when the orcs came but otherwise this Alpha, and I think it’s the last Alpha because I remember reading about the beta, is in pretty good and playable shape.

The game is slow though, which I like. I just like watching them do what they do.

A backer email just went out. The game is done and will come out of EA at the end of the month. The game will be supported until the end of the year.

The email very much reads like they wanted to do more, but the team is ready to move on and do something else. So they are going to open it up to modders to accomplish whatever they did not.

The email

Hey Everyone,

For many years now, you’ve been asking us: when will Stonehearth be finished? And we’ve always answered–when it’s done!

Well… as of today, we feel we’re finally there. Stonehearth has become a game that we on the team are genuinely excited to play. From all of your feedback, we believe that many of you have also had a few (or more than a few) wonderful experiences inside Hearth. Therefore, at the end of July, we will exit Stonehearth from Steam Early Access with our 1.0 release. Following that release, most of the team will move on to other projects, though we’ll provide support, modding guidance, and bugfixes through the end of the year.

Really? It’s… Done? I’m sort of… stunned!

Yeah, it’s sort of a stunning statement, especially those of us who have been working on it for so long. But actually, yes. Stonehearth finally feels like the game we envisioned when we started on this journey. Most of the features we originally dreamed up at the time of the Kickstarter are implemented. The campaign at last has a beginning, a middle, and an end, and the world of Hearth is now full of allies, enemies, classes, systems, and encounters we consider worthwhile to experience. There is no other game in the world with a 3D builder like ours, and no other community builder that offers synchronous multiplayer the way we do. Finally, the game is moddable from top to bottom and its Steam Workshop page is full of content beyond our original imaginings.

Though it’s true that Stonehearth doesn’t contain everything we dreamed about – the decisions we made on what to prioritize inevitably led to some systems not being as robust as we’d have liked–we feel that the game is ready for a larger audience to enjoy. With the launch of the new builder and multiplayer, we’ve tackled two of the three largest critical engine-related tasks (the stuff that only our team can really do). The third task is improving performance, which we are addressing now, and will continue to improve after release.

But… It could be Even More Done!

It’s true! However, many of the members of the team are ready to pursue other opportunities, for both personal and professional reasons. We first noticed this trend at the end of last year, but since we believe so hard in this game and in making something satisfying for all of you, we agreed to remain together until we collectively felt the game was in a good place. We believe we accomplished this with the launch of A24+/Beta. Though the prospect of moving on is quite difficult – some of us have been working on Stonehearth for five years, long enough to have watched many of you in the community move on to different phases of your life: graduating middle school, high school, college, first jobs, first children, and more – in the end, we wanted to bring the experience to a close on a strong, unified note, as opposed to a long fading out.

We remind ourselves that ownership of all games passes from the people who first created them to the people who play them. We’re confident that in your hands, Stonehearth will be well loved, and we hope that with the modding infrastructure we’ve built, you can continue to add your own dreams to it. To further enable this, after the 1.0 launch in July, we will continue work on our modding guide. If you have API requests, we will continue to work on those, along with performance and bugfixes, until December.

What Happens Now?

Since the beginning, we’ve tried hard to be a transparent team. Because we wouldn’t be here if it hadn’t been for your support, we’ve always felt that it was our responsibility to be as honest as we could with what was happening around us, and what comes next. So… here’s what happens next:

The team is currently jamming hard on getting Stonehearth in a shippable state by the end of July 2018. Remaining features include: performance, bug fixes, Rabbit Clan, Glacier, Northern Alliance, Geomancer, Seasons, and Mac Support.
At the end of July, we will remove the Early Access tag from the game and officially call it 1.0
In August the majority of the team will roll off onto other projects or new life challenges.
Three members will remain to work on bugs and performance and mod support until December of 2018, when we will issue a point release (1.1) containing whatever bugfixes and aforementioned features that did not make it into 1.0.
As it is unfair to ask a team of three to shoulder the community responsibilities once maintained by a group of fifteen, our participation on Discourse and Steam will be significantly reduced from August to December, and formal support for bug fixes, mod API requests, and questions will cease after January 2019. I expect that we’ll still stop by to marvel at your creations and hang out, but it will be as community members, as opposed to the game’s active creators.
In that vein, Desktop Tuesday will continue until Tuesday the 24th, and the Thursday 6:00pm streams will continue until 27th of July.
On the 27th, we will have an all-day community-focused stream to commemorate all the beautiful things you’ve built over the years.
Stephanie will be streaming tonight, July 5th, 2018, from 6:00pm to 7:00pm (Pacific time) to answer any questions you may have, and will be hosting an thread on discourse.stonehearth.net immediately following this announcement until tomorrow, July 6th if you prefer that mechanism of communication.
We’re proud to have shepherded this pipe dream of a Kickstarter into its current state, and we’re grateful to have met and hung out and played with all of you along the way.

Cheering you on, from whatever adventures come for us next,

Team Stonehearth (Stephanie, Chris, Albert, Brad, Linda, Allie, Nikki, Morgan, Justin, Ana, Malley, Angelo, Max, Luke, and Aaron)

The gamma seems to be a bit off in those screenshots. Are you playing on a Mac? The graphics look really washed out and desaturated.

I am a little surprised by this. Personally though, my biggest complaint is the bugs. The job tree could have used a little more work but it’s actually pretty good. I don’t know how the end game is yet because I usually have a bug I am not willing to live with before i reach it and start over.

The workshop is a bit of a mess though. They treat the building templates as mods instead of just added objects, I guess. Why does this matter, well it doesn’t want to add new buildings to existing games without promises of breaking something. The biggest bugs, aside from a couple of workshop or peeps (hearthlings) is the building stuff… like they get stuck on roofs or build themselves into windows or leave a block on the roof or can’t place an object for reasons that aren’t clear to the eye.

The email came across as very defensive to me. They know it’s not done, but it’s taking too long and they are losing the team.

I don’t know if the game feels done or not, only played the last alpha, but the tone of the email makes it sound like it isn’t done, which annoys me.

I have only Kickstarted this and Godus. If Godus wasn’t the nail in the coffin, this was.

They didn’t meet their goals, for sure. The game just isn’t as tight as it should be and going from the end of Alphas to 1.0 and not Beta is a bit of a problem. However… this last version, which is not their actual version is pretty darn playable. If they’ve addressed most of the bugs that would be a huge improvement. The workshop could use work it might not ever get but it’s kind of PIA workable.

Hopefully they do take care of the bugs, but that email reads like they are cutting loses.

Well they said there were going to be three left after 1.0 to work on bugs. 1.0 itself might have addressed some of the problems already.

I share your sentiment; I do. I am disappointed too. I expected a longer beta period not the complete absence of one… If you haven’t played for a bit, might as well wait until this end of July release. I’ll give it a go either way. I’m trying to get further in so maybe I’ll see what is further out.

The new building tool is a lot easier for me to use although others say it’s worse than the others.

Yeah the email sounds like the team just got tired of working on it. :(

Then again they projected a 2014 release date for 1.0 , so I can see how the burnout became an issue.

They raised 751k , so how many of the stretch goals are missing at this point?

Most of them? I am ok with it really, just another reminder for me that Kickstarter sucks. I am ok with EA because I can choose when to jump in, but hell if I am backing a gaming off of written goals and an intro video again.

I have backed two games on Fig as well, Phoenix Point and PoE2, so I guess I shouldn’t be so cynical.