Strategic Command World War II: War in Europe A3R Mod Tournament?

Tentative Start Date: November 3, 2018

Need 8 more players to make this happen

So I am thinking about organizing a Qt3 Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe tournament based around the Advanced Third Reich mod version 1.1. PBEM play, head to head, brackets, the works. I’ll advertise this in the Grognard thread as well. Two things:

1.) I’ll need a volunteer to be a Co-Consul (Roman-style) with me on this endeavor. Someone to help out, where we can cover each other’s presence and whatnot.

2.) I’ll need a good number…say at least 16 players to make this one work. I’ll place a poll in here and use responses to this thread to tender interest. And we can banter back and forth about format.

3.) The mod designer is currently finishing up a v. 1.2 mod that implements some tweaks, bug fixes and more balance futzing. So we certainly won’t start until that is completed (end of August, latest). This tournament won’t start likely until mid-September at the earliest. As well, that sort of thing is negotiable in the discussions below. For pacing we are probably talking about 3-5 turns a week minimum. The game plays quickly so, even if yo pondered your moves like Kasparov staring down Deep Blue, it would likely take 15 minutes to do a turn, max.

So reply below if you are interesting in playing in this Tournament!

This post will stay up and be bumped every now and then, until mid September 2018. At that time we’ll see what we have in terms of numbers and time frames.

Sound off Strategic Historical Turn-Based wargamers!

Interested Qt3ers (as of 8/9/2018):
@Navaronegun
@Panzeh
@RothdaTheTruculent
@Juan_Raigada
@jpinard
@coffeetv
@orald
@belouski

The game page on Steam:

The Official DLC Mods (Free):

https://store.steampowered.com/dlc/593030/

The Advanced Third Reich Mod Designer’s latest update (4/30/2018):
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4424310

A Strategic Command World War II: War in Europe Advanced Third Reich Tournament should have:

• A Method where advancement requires winning as the Axis and the Allies at least once.
  • A Method where all players compete at least once (Round Robin).
  • A Method with a preliminary round and then rankings, so brackets can be formed.
  • All the Above
  • WTF are you talking about, crazy man???

0 voters

A couple of random thoughts, in no particular order:

1. I’m always pumped about a new tournament for what would normally be a single player game. It adds a lot more excitement and thought to the game, and I love the early-days MP experience where everyone is still feeling out new strategies and ways to play the game.
  2. Typically I would have passed over a game like this (I’ve already played too much Panzer General and Hearts of Iron and the like; when I see something like Strategic Command I usually react like I would if I saw another 2D pixel art platformer). However the glowing reviews you and others have written for the thing have me willing to try and love again.
  3. The price is a bit high for me to take a leap of faith. If it was $20 I would buy a copy in order to play in the tournament, but my miserliness can’t quite allow me to pay $40. Could we wait until there is a sale or something?
  4. I’m worried that playing multiple PBEM games will take multiple years of real time. I don’t know how long an MP game lasts, but I suspect it could be a while. Does the game support Archon mode, e.g. multiple people playing on a single team? Could like 3 people take on the side of the Allies, with each person commanding one country of that alliance? That might make the tournament move faster if we had more people per team and fewer matches over all.

Hi Rothda,

Thank You.

Maybe? Waiting could mean “never”.

The A3R mod is a very simple game (sides and mechanics-wise) , and really doesn’t lend itself to Multi-Player sides. As well, that isn’t possible in the game as structured. It’s turn based. Very simple execution.

Having said that, that is why we are still in the discussion stage. If we had, say, 16, then the Tourney could be structured (purely an example): 1st Round Single elimination, 2nd Double (random opponents , once as allies, once as axis, simultaneously playing two games). Final Four Round Robin. Or not. I’m just getting feedback, so these opinions will determine what we do. But like I said, I think 16 (maybe 12??) may be magic number to even make it happen.

Ok, I am convinced. Mark me down as “tentatively on board”.

Done. A running list of interested parties shall be kept in the initial post.

Will follow this with great interest! but sadly I just cant commit focus wise right now to play :( Work is at a critical time (in a good way) but its darn hectic.

UPDATE:

@Brooski and @Juan_Raigada have expressed tentative interest.

The mod designer is currently finishing up a v. 1.2 mod that implements some tweaks, bug fixes and more balance futzing. So we certainly won’t start until that is completed (end of August, latest). This tournament won’t start likely until mid-September at the earliest. As well, that sort of thing is negotiable in the discussions below. For pacing we are probably talking about 3-5 turns a week minimum. The game plays quickly so, even if you pondered your moves like Kasparov staring down Deep Blue, it would likely take 15 minutes to do a turn, max.

So don’t feel like you need to block off weeks of hour+ turns. This thing is not burdensome time-wise. As well, the kickoff date is negotiable and won’t happen for at least a month. Sign up and have fun!

That is All.

Aaah, if only I had a PC!
Aaah, if only I had finished reading the manual!
Aaah, if only I had some vague history notions!

This strangely fits about any other historical game I ever bought.

Apple? Yea, that is why I never went full-bore Apple. Games.

Empty, If I lived in France; after recovering from my addiction to wine and being banned from every Jazz club in Paris, I would then spend the next 20 years wandering battlefields and historic sights and locales!

Philistine!

I’m thinking about making a writeup or video about some of the things a beginner should know about the scenario just to avoid some pitfalls.

I would be interested in seeing that write up/video. And interested in the multiplayer game.

Do you mean this tournament? Or a multiplayer match right now? Or both? :)

Do you mean this tournament? Or a multiplayer match right now? Or both? :)

Yes, no, (am watching a first impressions by youtuber thehistoricalgamer), perhaps after I get my feet wet, so to speak. Really, I am at the Pz I stage here, not even thinking about the ramifications of Christie suspensions.

Gotcha. Bear in mind we are specifically talking about the Advanced Third Reich Mod for this title. Gameplay is similar (but actually simpler) than the Vanilla version he covered in his First Impressions.

Update: The A3R mod v1.2 is playtesting any day and should be ready for Tournament play by mid-September.

Now the big news…

Last night in public (!!) my friend @marquac said “I’ll think about it” in regards to playing in this tournament, after I discovered that a.) he owns the game and b.) Is a closet “versus the AI” Wargamer.

So please, consider signing up for this tournament! If we can make it happen we may see Qt3 stalwart @marquac in a WARGAME TOURNAMENT!

Which has me pretty amped…Movie Qt3 meets Production Qt3 meets Streaming Qt3 and Grognard Qt3. It’s beautiful…snif.

BTW, @marquac I am listing you as “tentatively interested”…

How did I miss this?!?!?!?!

Is it too late? I’d love to play!

Not at all. Kickoff won’t occur until mid-September earliest. And that is discuss-able. Want me to add you to the list?
EDIT: Done

OH yea I am IN!

This game would play fantastic on a nice laptop. Do you have one?