Subnautica: Below Zero (2020, Unknown Worlds)

Is the thing that took the dude’s welding tool in the trailer a sea monkey?

Yep!

Hmm, steam says 1.0 is available now. So I guess the launch livestream isn’t coordinated with the launch? Time to dive in I guess!

Thank you!

First positive impression. Game appears to have excellent widescreen support. It even set the FOV, both vertical and horizontal, appropriately when I choose my resolution. Also while I still wish I could adjust the location of the HUD, it’s not all the way over on the edge of the screen.

It runs better than the original game. Mmm I wonder if I played it before my last hw upgrade…

Auroras!

Jugando en Español, lo creo?

Obviously.

I got the sea truck already, having playing the previous game means I’m advancing a bit faster.

The impressions are very good. Then again, it’s because… it’s more Subnautica. So that means an excellent mix of beautiful visuals, interesting and meaningful exploration, the adequate dose of tension as you go deeper or predators start appearing, addictive progression with the crafting, and all in an open world where you can go at your own pace while also having some more directed goals.

Does this game have ray tracing and DLSS? I want all the sparkles.

Nope.

Just dove in. Oh my. Yes, subnautica is as good and thrilling a game loop as it ever was. Soothing. Interesting.

And suddenly it was high time to get to bed.

The truth is, for now, I could well have reinstalled the original, the experience has been pretty similar.

I’m finding some issues, by the way.

The air breather gadget with tubes, the tubes placement are supposed to appear as a preview, in fact it worked like that the first time I used it. But on the next play session, it wouldn’t appear.

I have built a scanner room. It’s supposed to come with drone cameras, but they didn’t appear?? I have built one, but I still cannot use it, it says it has 0% charge but I cannot put a battery on it.
Also, the scanner itself is confusing to use, it doesn’t have a compass indicator. Am I supposed to think the ‘down’ part of the map it shows is ‘South’ of the scanner room? Or is just dependent of the scanner room direction?

My take was: instead of reinstalling the original, why not play this new one?

I’m liking it so far, though I keep getting stuck on terrain. It happens all. the. time. and is super annoying.

Money? :D :D

Good reason. I think I paid $5 for Below Zero during an Epic sale a couple of years ago

I actually dismantled the stupid scanner room,built it again in another location… same issue with the camera drones. Anyone with the same problem?

I did reinstall the original. Never got far past early base building, really would like to see more of the game.

I installed and was rushing the timeline a bit until I forgot that the first playthrough is always the best. So now I’ve slowed down a bit and I’m taking my time. The tension in some areas is surreal and gives me those same Subnautica flashbacks of the original so far.

You should. From what I have read Below Zero is lacking its outstanding world design of loneliness and its addictive and meaningful progression system.