Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Ah, perfect. I like everything I’m seeing about this game, and it looks like it’s fun to play as well. What is the default/standard game mode (like, what do the developers plan for people to play)? Freeform or Survival? Or maybe Hardcore is the “default”?

Freedom Mode is the one the developers suggested if I recall correctly. :)

Survival mode is fine, IMO, for those who ordinarily shy away from that kind of gameplay. It’s not really a “hard” mode in the usual sense, in my opinion. Early on it may get you, but cooking fish and producing water is pretty easy, and later when you obtain a stillsuit and start farming it becomes kinda automatic and painless. Only people who positively hate attrition in games will want to avoid it completely.

Survival all the way. That extra bit of effort for food/water, really add to the immersion. You’re stranded, you need to find things to survive.

Yep, survival is the way to go. The attrition is actually tiered quite nicely, and each necessity applies a different time factor to the game. It is balanced very well.

I play without food and drink, can’t be bothered…works well for me.

Survival mode for me. It’s what motivates me to explore the sea, discover beautiful and exotic creatures… and eat them.

One would think food and water would not be an issue…in the ocean. :)

I hate survival mode games, but love it in Subnautica. It’s done right.

water, water, everywhere,
nor any drop to drink

bladderfish, bladderfish, everywhere
what happens when I pee in a wetsuit?

There’s enough immersion (haha) in the game without the extra bother, I’m playing Freedom and that’s plenty for me.

I sometimes torture myself with food mods on games (rpg’s) that don’t even require them.

Forgot to mention that you can temporarily change the game mode using console commands if you want to peak into the other modes. The console commands are freedom, creative, survival and hardcore. I believe the change lasts only until you close that game session. (E.g., save the game, quit, reload and it’s back to what you originally picked.)

What if you edit gameinfo.json, and change “gameMode”:0 ?

(0 is survival)

edit: can confirm; changed it to 1, loaded the game, and my survival save is now in freedom mode.

Awesome, good to know. Confirmed that the console method is indeed still temporary only.

Edit: Saves are located in Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames, in case anyone else wanted to know.

I am playing in survival mode. The food and water thing is just an annoyance. I would have probably liked it better if I started in the mode without food and water. All it really does is suck up inventory space.

I am kind of getting tired of the game. I just want to finish it. Without a web guide (which is not very good), I would have given up long ago, not knowing what to do. It took me forever to find the inactive lava zone, which I just started to explore. I need to now head back to my main base because apparently these leech things got stuck on my sub and they sucked almost all the power out of it.

I’m a firm believer that if you use food mods, you should also use evacuation mods. Okay, “firm” might not be the right word.

Wish I could like this post, I agree! At least ARK has that uh … part of it.