Subnautica - SCUBA, Unknown Worlds, drowning

Everything is fixed as far as I know, except your starting location, which may as well be fixed as you are always in vicinity of the crash when starting.

Aren’t the neighbors a bit of an issue, or do you not mind the loss of the camera drones?

Yeah, but on the 'net in general people can be dicks about spoilers (and every other thing under the sun, 'tis true). So it surprises me how widespread the genial avoiding of spoilering the newbies appears.

I really wish they’d add touch controller support for VR. For a game that is already completely immersive on a monitor being able to actually grab a fish by hand rather than tapping a button, or to use the various tools by hand (like in Lone Echo), would just be mind blowing.

perhaps because this game, by its nonviolent nature does not appeal to the asshole part of the demography.

Hmm, but I’m playing it.

Me, too. Started xmas morning, and I’ve played most days for multiple hours since. I’ve had no problems on the Xbone, except that it can take up to 5 minutes (no exaggeration- literally 5 minutes) to save the game. I was terrified the first time, as it seemed to just keep going on and on, and the ‘Save’ choice was greyed out in the menu, and I thought I would lose 6 hours worth of game. But eventually it always goes away, and the save works fine when I reload it.

Anyway. At this point, I’m ready to make my next push. I have all the upgrades for the various vehicles except some of the ones that require Kyanite. I’ve got a deep base down in the Lost River that I’m about to head back to and press on deeper after building a moonpool there. I’m simultaneously excited and dreading to see what happens next.

I played a bunch I’m Early Access, but not this far, and it really is close to my perfect game. I didn’t get to play RDR2 yet, but this is my GOTY for sure.

Steam tells me I spent 110 hours with the game. I don’t understand how I did that. I mean, I did restart a couple times but those were with just a couple hours invested in each game. I guess I really do enjoy designing bases!

(I only had two, but the first one did get relocated a couple times due to inconsiderate neighbors. I’d move my first base (again!) if I hadn’t finished. I built on the east side of Safe Shallows at the edge of the Grassy Plateau, and should’ve built on west stub of Safe Shallows at that Grassy Plateau since I like to get in and out of Lost River through the Blood Kelp canyon on the south edge of Dunes. Oh yeah! I experimented with bases at both the east and west Mushroom Forests but decided navigating their was too difficult because of all the pop-in.)

My ‘hours’ in the game are all fucked up. I think it stays active and counting when I put the consumer in Sleep mode. It says I have several days at this point.

I built several bases, mostly so when I pushed into a new area I could set up a scanner room quickly and start getting the local resources without hunting. Scanning and HUD chip ASAP for the win! They’re all small, though- a multipurpose room for power of some sort and storage/equipment on the walls, a scanner room, and a moonpool on one base (soon to be two).

What difficulty level so most people play at? I tried the normal level, c po couldn’t figure out where to find fish to extract water from and gave up.

Well I finished the game.

Yeah, the area after the Lost River is pretty much the final zone (Lava zone). I had already built 50% of the shuttle launch platform prior to making the journey into the deep with the Cyclops. I did end up making a second base near the cove tree although with the gift of hindsight I would probably have made one near one of the Alien teleporter gates that connect into the primary hub. Having that deeper base though gave me access to a ton of resource caches so by the time I was able to shut down the alien tower gun battery, I finished the rocket and blasted off.

For the Time Capsule, I sent all 3 colored alien key tablets, an ion battery, power cube, and food and water. It was just what I had in my inventory when I was prepping the ship for take off…

I played in Freedom so that I could ignore food and water. I didn’t find keeping those mechanics really added much to the game.

The best tip to know how to make anything is to use the fabricator and go down every menu in it to see everything it can make. It will show you the fish to make water, they are pretty plentiful in the safe shallows.

This. It’s just pointless busywork. Even with Freedom, you still have to worry about Air and Health, resource collection, etc.

I did Survival.

The food/water requirement is extra pressure in the beginning of the game but is largely solved once you find a specific location the story points you towards. From then on it is largely an added inventory space requirement but having those extra timers is always something I usually want in survival games. Also not having it makes some things worthless to find and build.

I was thinking this is probably the best game of this type since Miasmata. It also has a similar arc.

I am playing on Survival, although I wish I had done Freedom, now. The generation and consumption of food and water does seem like pointless busywork to me, in this game which quickly becomes very much less about Survival and much more about Discovery, in a way it kind of doesn’t in Don’t Starve. If it was less relentless or tedious I would probably resent it less, but I’m sure as hell not gonna start over now.

I think the food/water setting can be adjusted from the console.

I played on survival, and I think in my opinion, it works into the story.

After slaughtering a ton of Peepers during the game for your own survival, you suddenly learn that Peepers were the one fish allowed to pass through the facility to allow the spread of the cure. It wasn’t the only way to spread the cure of course, and you fix that later on, but it was a nice throwback to go, “wow, maybe I shouldn’t have eaten so many peepers.”

I’m not gonna click that spoiler because I don’t wanna be spoiled if it’s not what I’m thinking of, but if you’re referring to the bacterial infection, I think that could easily be explained by one or more of the many lacerations the player will no doubt suffer at the hands of unfriendly fauna.

If not, I’m just gonna have to revisit this thread when I’m done.

Not sure if this needs a spoiler blur because it’s at the beginning of the game, but bladderfish should be all over the Safe Shallows starting area.

And I played Survival mode. In retrospect, I think the game would have been less immersive if I hadn’t.

I would wait. It’s a late game spoiler.