Succession - HBO

Caught up tonight. I find most of the characters very shallow, but really enjoy Kendall and all his struggles… sober and boring or as @Gordon_Cameron says, off the wagon and a nervous ball of energy. Truly torn in a million directions.

Excited for the finale

Binged this over the weekend, and while I didn’t like(get?) the comic aspects of the show to start, it really grew on me. You can definitely tell the Iannucci bloodlines (“please excuse Captain Fucking Be-Bop here”) and the acting, top to bottom, is top notch. It’s one of the rare shows where I wish everyone would have more screen time. The only thing is that they overplay the main theme…but that’s such a minor quibble when the show is so good.

The comic aspects are quite dry much of the time, but they’re there.

One of my favorites is in the opening credits, when it cuts to that ATN anchor with the chyron “Why are so many of our old celebrities dying?”

You guys have me confused, comic aspect?

My buddy Dave – who is getting more and more bylines in the feature pages at the NYT, even though he’s an editor – with a nice story/interview with Jeremy Strong. Spoilers included (there’s a warning.)

That finale was brutal, relieved only by Roman’s satellite launch.

My only complaint about the season it that they seem to have completely forgotten about the Asian guy Kendall was going up against in the first couple of episodes.

Otherwise, well done, show.

Good stuff. Really love Kendall’s character

I’m two episodes into this and I think it’s really great. As many have said, none of these characters is likeable, exactly. But, at least a couple eps in, it feels like something they do is have these stretches of an episode where you come to really sympathize with one of them (Logan for part of the pilot, Kendall in a few places, even Greg, in his way) and let you kind of hang with them emotionally for a bit. Then they usually do something petty or awful and that sympathy is gone.

The performances are really strong. Kieron Culkan really stands out to me, for the physicality of his performance. He just can’t sit still, and occasionally does these Three Stooges-style peeking in from out of frame to say something assholish. Very good.

I love Greg’s character. This seemingly bumbling ‘distant’ family member who is riding the coattails of the family but actually has some really good instincts.

S2 starts tomorrow (Sunday). Really looking forward to it.

Good start to the season I think… Very excited to see what happens with Kendall

I hadn’t realized that Season 1 was nominated for a Best Drama Emmy.

This episode makes me want to go to Iceland.

Here’s The Ringer’s aftershow

Also, Steve Kerr is also a fan.

“Take it back for a refund. Did you keep the receipt?”

Heh.

So…

Kendall was correct in season 1, right? He kept harping on the company being a dinosaur, and it is coming to fruition in season 2. Ultimately, Kendall has the right vision, and if the original succession had happened, company might be in somewhat better shape. And there is no way Shiv is the successor… She’s got her shit together more than anyone, but lacks loyalty (ironic, compared to Kendall… I get it). She is also the cruelest of the children.

You spelled “cutest” wrong.

g.

I don’t think Kendall was ever a good choice for the succession. He’s fundamentally weak. He can be right about the business, but they are pretty obvious insights (newspapers and TV are outmoded). Other personalities push him around.

Meanwhile Roman (I realized in this week’s ep) is deadly perceptive about everyone and their faults, but he is blind to his own, and possesses basically negative wisdom. He’ll never amount to anything (although maybe the show will give him his moment at some point, just to prove it).

Shiv probably is the smartest, but she has no real interest in any of it. She doesn’t like anything she actually has (husband included). Perfect attitude to have if you work in politics. She is supreme detachment.

Connor is just a fool who is fooling himself.

There is no good family successor. Neither the firm nor the family hold together without the indispensable individual who made them what they are.

But at least he has Napoleon’s dried penis!

“It’s not of serious academic value…” But he’s buying it anyway.

Dipshit nephew is going to end up with it.

That guy may be a dipshit, but he also understands leverage. I love his character.

I think Kendall was the best choice of successor, even if he had pretty much zero leadership qualities. He is the one that really wanted THE JOB, not just money and prestige. He is weak in many ways, but of the children, he would have been the best choice. I think any of the other kids lead them over the edge.

Ultimately, I hope that eventually we get to see the whole thing collapse. It will also be fun watching Connor run for President, aping Trump, as a illustration of what is possible if you are off the charts rich.