Suggestions for future improvements to our forum software

OK @sam has fixinated this, and I deployed latest. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the quick fix!

I expect my bill to be adjusted and credit applied to my scrolling balance so I’m not penalized for the additional navigation necessary in the interim.

Whenever I load the streaming thread over in Games on my phone (iPhone SE, iOS 11, Safari), performance completely tanks. My guess is it’s being caused by multiple Twitch players loading at once, which leads into my question: is there a user setting I haven’t found to turn off video player embeds (on mobile, or just everywhere if mobile-only isn’t viable), or any chance one can be added?

We have special code so youtube embeds are click to display, but I don’t think Twitch has that limitation.

For some reason, I can’t pull down to refresh the latest list anymore on mobile (Android, Chrome). Used to be a good way to help the list catch up with all recent posts in one go. But now I pull down and no reload occurs.

Has something changed? Can it be undone?

If you look closely at the screenshot below, you can see the rounded shadow in the title bar indicating I’m sweeping down and trying to refresh but nothing happens.

You can simply tap the site logo to reload the page. I’m not aware of any changes in this regard, though.

Doesn’t the site logo reload the mostly useless categories page, not the latest posts list I use exclusively to see all recent posts?

Very strange. This still behaved with a normal pull down refresh recently. But I can’t say for sure when it disappeared.

The normal pull down refresh still works for regular sites, obviously.

Change it in your user preferences to be the preferred home page.

That works around it. Thanks.

Yeah, I lost pull down to refresh last night. Possibly tied to the page loading fix? Dunno.

Either that or the JQuery update or some other change to the JavaScript. Glad to know I’m not alone. Hope it can be restored at some point as it’s pretty much ingrained behaviour on mobile.

Thank you @wumpus and @sam!

Huh turns out some “helpful” community member committed a PR that explicitly removed support for pull-down refresh in Android. We’ve reverted that, and redeployed here.

I see. It’s indeed fixed now. Thanks for looking into it.

BTW, I don’t know if this is (Windows 10, desktop) Firefox’s fault or the site’s, but starting yesterday an open tab from a previous session will fail to load with a “Cannot Load App!” message which says that I “appear to be offline” when I’m clearly not because other tabs load fine. I have to manually refresh for things to load.

I mentioned it in the Firefox Quantum thread as well.

Are you using AdBlockPlus or any extensions like that? Can you repro after removing the extensions (whitelisting the site doesn’t work)?

Yes this is almost always rogue plugins. Try with a clean browser that has no extensions.

Sorry, I should have mentioned here that I tried it having disabled my only three add-ons: Ublock Origin, Enhanced Steam and LastPass-- same result.
It’s probably some Firefox weirdness–just started happening yesterday and unless something changed with the forum software on Saturday night that’s probably it.

Are you using a beta version of Firefox?

I don’t have any reason to think so (I’ve never explicitly opted into a beta testing program or anything). I’ll check and post the specific version when I next fire up my PC.

EDIT: OK, it’s Firefox Quantum version 59.0.1 : Firefox 59.0.1, See All New Features, Updates and Fixes