Suicide Squad - The Joker, Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and Boomerang walk into a bar

Cara Delevingne (Enchantress)

I think he meant people with actual acting abilities.

Which would have also excluded Jai Courtney, who mysteriously did not get dropped.

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1420826069939023882

I saw some articles this morning about David Ayers wishing James Gunn well, but also hoping his own vision for Suicide Squad eventually gets released. Which got me thinking, woah, I love David Ayers movies, he was responsible for Suicide Squad until the interference from the studio? I wonder what his original was supposed to be? I found this article:

Quote:

Now film editor Kevin Hickman, who has also worked on films such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story , has spoken to CinemaBlend about his work on 2016’s Suicide Squad. Describing the process involved as “ grueling ”, Hickman explains that “ over a million feet of film " were shot by Ayer and that it was a huge task to assemble each character’s backstory with such a large ensemble cast. When asked his thoughts on recent calls to have Ayer’s version of the film released, Hickman said:

I would like to see David’s final version of the film. I saw what David was trying to do with the film and I thought it was a pretty bold film. It was less comedy. It was a much darker film. It was almost like a Black Hawk Down type thing. It was just very militarized, very serious. I mean, of course there were supposed to be comedic moments with Will Smith, but it was a darker film. I like where David was going with it and it would be really nice to see him be able to finish what he started.

Endquote.

I have to admit, that does sound more like a David Ayers film than what we got.

It was almost like a Black Hawk Down type thing.

Tough to square that with this:

I wish we could see his cut. Are directors contractually prohibited from letting extra footage be seen? There are many directors over the years who have made claims like this and I always wonder what keeps their footage locked away even after several years.

Edit: @Telefrog that unfortunately is completely congruent with the ridiculous dancing rooftop Latinas in End of Watch, where he had more control, haha.

The “AyerCut” dream is dead.

That’s a shame. I’ve enjoyed the other Ayer movies I’ve seen, so I actually think a re-cut of this one would probably improve it a lot.