Suicide Squad - The Joker, Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and Boomerang walk into a bar

Same here, but more for the silver nipples.

Oh man:

Back when I watched that show it was on a 25" old school standard definition tv. I had that same reaction years later when I heard that ‘he wouldn’t shave the mustache’ story. What mustache? Low res was a special effect unto itself.

Sometimes even now I’m shocked when I watched some old show that’s been restored in high definition. How in the hell did we accept less all those years? I always wanted big screen tv but the idea that the image could be so detailed never entered my mind.

edit: On the character design, well both Ledger’s Joker(boring) and Nicholson’s(goofy) look bad in a still photo. They work in the movies though, with acting and sound and motion. So I’m hopeful.

Ledger’s Joker design is a great piece of makeup and costume design full of little details, Nicholson’s Joker may be goofy but it still seems menacing and is very much The Joker. I’m not sure what’s going on with Leto in that picture. I read a twitter quote somewhere that was something to effect of it looking like he “fell into a vat of hot topic.” Leto may still pull off a great performance, but his costume is working against him.

I guess they’re trying to do ultra extreme Joker!

Gotta have a little empathy for Leto. To take on a role that was last played by a guy who won an Oscar for it is probably a tad daunting.

How quickly people forget! Mr. Leto has his own Oscar.

Personally, I love the idea of a heavily tatted jugaloo Joker. But then again, I have no problems with weird interpretations of source material. I’ll take that over slavish devotion to a comic book any day. Make the subject matter your own, Mr. Ayer.

-Tom, who couldn’t care less that Keanu Reeves didn’t dye his hair blonde to play Constantine

When you think about it, really the whole traditional Joker look (based on the card, tuxedo, etc.) belongs to an older age of gangster looks. In fact, Heath Ledger’s version of it was almost like the last, decaying gasp of that look, in a way.

This look is quite interesting and might work well to drag the icon into the 21st century. I can see it’s getting some hostility from fans though.

How many tatoo artists did the Joker kill to get all of that done, I wonder?

Those are all his pre-Joker tats. Prior to his transformation into a super-villain, he was simply known as “The Douche”.

Maybe he got all those stupid tattoos as a joke?

Wow, I despise that look, and couldn’t disagree more at the suggestion that Heath ledger’s version was traditional or old-fashioned - it was the exact opposite of that - a credible, realistic interpretation of a character that’s difficult to bring into the real world without seeming ridiculous. Leto’s version just looks like a really unintelligent douchebag.

True, a man who cut a smile into his own face is very realistic.

I love watching this reaction, it is hilarious. I think I prefer people exploding over Bat-fleck with the one sad batman teaser image.

Leto is an insanely talented actor, and I think the look they are going for is striking and different. It looks cool.

I think different was definitely needed, lets see if it clicks. I think it’s far from the most dubious element of this movie so far.

Will Smith is a decent mainstream actor, but he’s one of those guys who can’t credibly play anything that isn’t a variation on his core personality (Jack Black, Matthew McConaghey, John Wayne, etc). That’s why (IMO, of course) he didn’t work in Hancock. Deadshot at his most interesting in the Gail Simone run of Suicide Squad was a conflicted yet willing killer struggling to find an identity other than the one thing he was great at doing. I’m afraid all Smith will get out of the role is wisecracks and that odd pretend-serious that he thinks happens when he lowers his voice a bit and doesn’t grin.

I am not going to judge their character choices off of a promotional photo made during filming. If it is good, than it will be good, if it is shitty and lame than it will be bad and we won’t watch it. I think the parallels between comic books and sports culture are hilariously similar. Hot Takes are hot takes no matter what the topic is about.

I don’t mind a punky Joker. This shot just makes me feel like they’re trying too hard.

“damaged” on his forehead, really? And the teeth thing is just guh.

He looks less like a punk, and more like a spoiled twat trying too hard

Exactly. Unsure how anyone thought the Joker should look like some really dumb rich kid who identifies with gangsta rap.

For chrissakes, he looks like macaulay culkin after putting on aftershave. http://qmix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Home-alone-macaulay-culkin-kevin-mccallister-boy-fear-shout-fright1.jpg

I don’t know, I kind of like it. The tattoos make him look like sort of a living comic book, and his expression in that photo looks exactly how the Joker has been depicted in quite a few comic books. Like here, for instance:

So I don’t know, of course it could be just the worst thing ever. But maybe it will work.

Can just imagine him sitting in the tattoo parlor – "wait, make the “HAHAHA"s look a little scarier, please…yes, yes. Now a few more HA HA HAs on chest. thank you! Now how about a scary skull face on the other side. I’m a badass man!”

Clearly I wasn’t alone on the Home Alone look: https://twitter.com/search?q=joker%20home%20alone&src=typd

The producers are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. Ledger’s Joker was amazing. If they tried to go that route, the inevitable comparisons would have sunk the character. “Stop trying to imitate Heath”! It looks like they decided to go a different route to set Leto’s Joker apart from Ledger’s.

And remember, when Ledger’s Joker was announced and people saw his pictures, the original feedback was “he’s no Nicholson!”