Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch

Pretty sure Wii U updates worked the same way. There were no numbers given and folks data mined or figured out the changes on their own. It’s usually like that with fighting games from what I have seen.

I’ve become rather proficient with King K. Rool. My kids are not happy.

I’ve been trying to get screen captures of each character when they get “kill-confirmed,” or whatever it is when the screen zooms in and you know they’re dead.

So far, Squirtle and Isabelle have the best expressions I’ve seen.

I’m no expert with any character, but Bayonetta is total garbage in this game, right?

Right… ;)

Shut your filthy lying mouth.

-Tom

I think those pictures are the characters after eating the curry pick up :)

I mean, I’m certainly not good with her, but spiking someone from the edge to their death with a giant demonic stiletto is one of the most satisfying things in the game.

She got nerfed from the Wii U version, but she’s still pretty good. That said, the tier lists are starting to come out. Inkling is topping them with Chrom, Pikachu, Peach, Daisy, Lucina and the Belmonts at the top. All the Fire Emblem characters are up there. Shulk seems to be too.

Here are ZeRo and Leffen’s lists…

Nothing definitive, but it’s a guideline if you’re not sure who you want to play.

Dang, the first list basically is all my favorite characters from the older versions and… put at the bottom. The only favorite of mine to fare well is Lucario.

Quite a divergence on Samus though. Above average on one list, E tier on the other.

If I do wind up picking up a switch I will still play Samus and Shiek, even if they are bad.

It’s useful to note that such lists are usually based on the typical competitive player “1v1 no items final destination” game mode they play. Some characters are better in 2v2 or FFA or on stages with actual geometry.

No love for my boy Ganondorf.

Yeah, true. Which is irrelevant to me, since I find that particular setup interminably dull.

It strikes me rather as someone who is wanting have a cake, but wants it gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, no egg, and low fat. Such a thing may be able to exist, but it strikes me as rather missing the point.

It’s more like ordering a cone of vanilla ice cream, versus telling the ice cream man to surprise you. Vanilla is plain and unexciting to most of us, but it’s reliably good, and some people love it above all else. Meanwhile, the surprise might be amazing, but the ice cream man might also just start mixing flavors and toppings in ridiculous and possibly disgusting ways that sour you on the whole experience.

I think the great thing about Smash is you can have it both ways. That’s what makes it such an awesome fighting game. The casual and the hardcore fans are both served just fine. Tier lists can be ignored if you’d rather play with items in four player free for alls (or 300% smash fests, or two on two Stamina contests, etc.), and you’ll still have a grand old time.

It’s like the most configurable fighting game you could possibly ask for.

I don’t own the Switch version, but this is my main in the WiiU and 3DS versions:

1. Bowser Jr.

Somewhere along the way, I lost the thread on enjoying fun things for the sake of enjoying fun things.

I main ganondorf and feel great honor that he took the time to step away from his introspection to call me out.

Anyone else have a bad night online and tank your rating from 2.1 million down to 300,000? Just me?

More than once ;)

Although I generally like their “inverted leaderboard” format, I’m not sure it’s a good idea as a representation of a skill rating. The ratings are generally going to be compressed towards the center so even if your rating is stable a single win/loss could be +/- 100k places or more. It’s really demoralizing to lose in sudden death and see the number go down by 150k.

Anyone watching Genesis 6 this weekend? Almost every match I watched yesterday was pretty lopsided, but they should get better as they narrow down today.