Superman - Man of Steel

Yeah, I’ve never even seen #3.

As for Superman II, I didn’t like the campy Richard Lester stuff, and the movie just doesn’t hold together for me at all (probably because, in fact, it doesn’t really hold together with the dramatic shifts in tone and styles of Donner/Lester). Zod was cool. Ursa was cool. The silliness (things like the dude in the phone booth going down the street still trying to talk) just undermined the cool that was there.

You’re gonna get camp and silliness in comic book adaptations. But Superman 2 gave more than any adaptation before and it was quite a few years until another film matched or surpassed it. Not to mention it explored 2 of the 3 better themes concerning Supes - his one weakness aside from kryptonite (people) and his invulnerability and the willingness to give it up (the third thing was explored fairly well in the last film, that is his strength is only limited by how strong he thinks he is).

“You can’t! The people!

That line next to “Kneel before Zod!” is one of the top ten best lines uttered in a super hero film adaptation.

You can’t fully understand Zack Snyder until you’ve sat through Sucker Punch.

-Tom

Keep in mind that anyone who saw Superman II owes it to themselves to watch the recut one if for nothing else than to do away with the throwing of the logo. ;)

Buhwhat?

Dooo eeet.

This is a highly underrated line, in large part because it highlights the real difference between Superman and all those modern deconstructions of the character that feature a Superman-alike character snapping and using his powers to dominate or harm.

Superman (or at least Reeve’s Superman) has never even thought of doing that before it happens in front of him.

That silliness existed in 1 too though. Lex Luthor and Otis are practically slapstick.

I also thought the original Superman was more than a little silly. I think I might have been watching the “wrong” version, but Luthor in particular grated on my nerves. It wasn’t Batman & Robin, but it didn’t feel like it was taking itself seriously.

Did any superhero movies manage to take themselves entirely seriously before… ummm… X-Men?

Well, not entirely, but close. For example, the first two acts of the original Superman are played completely straight, and as a result are far and away the best part of the film. Young Kent in Smallville is just brilliant in its lyricism and the way it shows the audience how he was infused by the values for which he later fights.

Also, Blade predated X-Men, and it was deadly serious about its subject matter.

Good call, sinnick–I really enjoy the first Blade film.

On the other hand, is Wesley Snipes ever really 100% camp-free?

Some muthafuckas are always tryin’ to ice skate uphill.

Is that a recommendation or a warning?

It’s a warning.

When recommending a film, few people use the phrase “sat through.”

I watched ‘Superman’ on Saturday evening and loved it. Some of the effects are hokey - the dam bursting is probably the worst offender; the flying sequences hold up surprisingly well. I actually found that the web-swinging sequences in ‘Spiderman’ (which was on last night) took me out of that film more than the flying in ‘Superman’ had the night before.

Oh, and I’m in the ‘Superman Returns’ wasn’t that bad camp. It was a bit too long and Kate Bosworth is no Margot Kidder but it was enjoyable and Brandon Routh was convincing as both Clark Kent and Superman.

Wesley is an underrated badass. Even in the 3rd film with his role somewhat diminished he ends up making Ryan Reynolds look like a little pussy.

As mentioned, the first third of the original Superman was awesome and did indeed take its subject matter seriously. I mean, Marlon fucking Brando.

And The Crow also predated Blade and although I’m not a fan of the film (though I haven’t seen it since release), it was a serious film… and I guess the character can be considered a superhero, no?