Surprise! Going in for retinal detachment eye surgery tomorrow AM

Ewww, not fun. :(

But, it is doable, and I only know that from watching my cousin. He’s been just wrecked by diabetes for 10 years and needs a kidney/pancreas double transplant. He’s been doing dialysis for 3 years now and still going strong, hoping to be listed for transplant in a few months. He was listed previously, but broke his femur and his foot falling in his hallway, so he’s had to heal up all that, get 2 cataract surgeries, and do rehab. The man is a beast and still doing well despite it. I hope you are as resilient. Wait, you BETTER be as resilient! I have to say I’ve been bummed to not see Intellivision snark from you. I believe we’re crossing a threshold where any day now the last cult members turn on their dear leader. Their fake executives have been silent for too long.

My parents have run out of the endless caring access positivity for me as their eldest male child

If I’m reading this right I’m so sorry. I hate to say this, but I’m not surprised because over the years it appeared they had a somewhat course attitude and not a lot of empathy for anyone outside their Trumpy worldview, while ironically catering to an entity that would just as well throw them out of the country. We’re here for you, even if your parents have checked out. Too bad I’m not nearby to give you a big hug.

What’s your situation, @rei? Have you gotten to go home? Are you feeling better? Which was your favorite nurse or doctor at the hospital?

We were thinking of taking a collection to buy you a Tommy Tallarico “get well!” message on Cameo.

-Tom

Hey, that reminds me of a story some guy called Tom Chick told once about his favorite nurse! That was fun.

What’s that called the piece of arts and craps potpourri they tape to you? I find it extremely weird.

Hmmm potpourri? Is this an eye thing? Outside of drains to my internal organs and ports I can’t think of any sweet smelling stuff they taped to me hehehe. Good to hear from you. Check out the Amico stuff! It’s getting fun as everyone is abandoning ship, wiping the fact they were involved with Intellivision off Twitter and their profiles, and generally running away with their hands over their mouths.

Had this happen this morning as my dialysis attachments bled through.

Worst Patch Adams cosplay ever.

-Tom

Nightmare. Fuel.

Can’t say I’m surprised. Parents have kidnapped me taken my license and treating me like an invalid. In my best interest of course.

OMG. So they “do” care? Or this is just a power trip to exert control over you?

Uh, can we help somehow? Collect for a lawyer?

Parents are preventing me from going back to work and want me to apply for short term disability. Also makes sense now why they were casually encouraging me sign over power of attorney the first week I was in hospital to “make things easier” also won’t let me drive myself anywhere.

This is so fucked up.

Some friends agree with my parents citing the need to keep me alive trumps all wtf.

Do I need to get on a new kidney and foster parents transplant list?

Ok, trying to get you to sign over power of attorney seems ridiculous. Like they’re more worried about your assets than you.

If you’re struggling with your health, are very weak, and need to get better/stronger, short term disability might be a good thing. You don’t want to be pushing your body any harder than it needs while you recover. However if you feel strong enough and your mind is clear, then there’s no reason to not work unless it puts too much strain on your heart. As for PoA, I’ve nearly died 3x and my parents have NEVER said (or even suggested) I should sign over power of attorney to them. I know your parents are rabid Trumpers, so I’m sure it’s extremely hard to separate if this is them being self-serving or a true love and concern.

Yeah; creating a living will or designating a medical advocate is one thing, POA is something entirely different and if done so should ideally have specific rights shared and a limited duration. From my layman’s understanding, a general POA with unlimited duration CAN still be revoked by you quite easily; it’s just much more complicated when you’re not able to go anywhere and don’t have access to your ID because they need to be notarized & witnessed. Please note, IANAL, but I’ve had to deal with POAs plenty of times.

So dialysis isn’t as easy to drop in and out of in between work like I planned With each session talking 3-6 hours.

We could threadfund a Switch or something. Ideally a SteamDeck but still impossible to get.

Yea :(

My cousin has done it for 3+ years and thankfully his work has been extremely accommodating to work around his schedule. He goes to one of those specific out-patient dialysis centers here.