Surviving Mars - Paradox Strategy

Learning without a tutorial for Surviving Mars is easier than using a tutorial for every other Paradox game.

The absolute truth

Umm, Stellaris’s tutorial was pretty good.

Did they update it with all their free and paid post release stuff? I mean they completely changed the game in some areas. Does the Tutorial reflect that?

Yep, it was mentioned in the game’s thread. Didn’t try it myself past the intro parts though. Paradox deserves some credit.

I own Stellaris. I don’t think the tutorial was that great, but it was a tutorial. It’s great if they are actually keeping it up to date this time around.

They get credit, but one game that has a serviceable tutorial, one they might be updating even, does not really change my position that they have a history of terrible if not outright broken tutorials behind them. That certainly doesn’t make them an ideal that others should follow.

No but, the talk was they never do good tutorials. I learned the game through it, so it was certainly good enough. Not saying they don’t deserve the negative reputation in that area, just credit where it is due.

Unfortunately their other game released at the same time (HOI) has a terrible tutorial that they tried to supplement with YouTube videos.

This is both a negative and a positive for Paradox. For games that are kind of like other games, I think they borrow what others have done and do okay with it. These space type games have like tutorials and have for years. For the games where no one else is doing anything remotely like their games… they fall flat. I don’t think they know how do these when they can’t try and borrow from someone else. It’s a negative because dear lord how many wiki’s and videos do you need to play 1 Paradox game… on the other hand, they’re doing stuff others aren’t really doing, at least not yet (CK2, looking at you).

So this is not their area of strength. They’ll need to establish a pattern to get good at it and then after that maybe they can claim a strength… maybe.

RPS revisits, and it is now a better game!

Thanks for this

I played this over the weekend. I must say the changes make it a significantly better game.

The status display, that list your current resources (food, machine parts), and also if you are gaining or losing Oxygen and powers, is huge quality of life improvement. It’s something that Civ and most resources games do so it’s absence was really missed.

But RPS review was a spot on. The addition of new dome type adds a layer of strategy that was really missing before. The biggest change is the addition of passageway which let you connect your domes and let people work in a different dome, and more importantly uses services in different domes. I haven’t really done efficiently yet you, but could have a central dome which contains all the services (bars, diners, stores etc.) and have it connect to a bunch of the domes that have minimal services.

A few updates later, Surviving Mars is quietly a much better game

Jesus, people. Can we please stop using the word quietly to describe everything that isn’t utterly flooding social media and the press with calls for attention!

So if you don’t flood social media with it, what’s the correct term? Silently?

A few updates later, Surviving Mars is a much better game

So it was done quietly, without much fanfare?

So it was done without much fanfare?

Can you fix this sentence too?

kerzain is quietly belaboring a point.

Sure,

kerzain is fucking awesome.

I was quietly outplayed.

Well, I didn’t know anything about these updates, so they sounded pretty quiet from where I’m sitting!

Glad to hear they decided it would be a good idea to stick some meaningful decisions into the game. Usually a wise choice! Next time, they should consider doing it before they release the game.

-Tom