Synths, music hardware, your SoundCloud, etc.

Very cool! Ableton Suite has an ocean of cool features, and I’m still discovering stuff 10 years on. As far as the views go, I personally put together little sketches in the session view, and if I feel like the track is going somewhere, I’ll play the clips into the arrangement view to get it to the finish line.

The one downside with session view is that it lends itself to making little 20 second loops that sound good, and it can be a bit tough to break out of that into a full song. The Push looks really neat, and I’ll probably pick it up one of these days, but I can also recommend the Novation LaunchPad. It’s relatively cheap, and transforms the session view into a kind of meta-instrument.

I also just picked up the new version of the LaunchKey, and I’m pretty impressed with it. The on-board arpeggiator is very handy, and it syncs with the tempo in Ableton.

Back on the horse. :)

RE-303
MC-202
Behringer Neutron
606+909 samples
Quadraverb + MS-50G pedal

I’m trying to spend lots of time on individual tracks lately(I made something like 7 versions of this one). If that doesn’t work out, I’ll just try to make a million short ones, haha.

Purple Rain on a Seaboard. Dayum, make sure you stay for the solo around 7min.

Jesus.

I want one of those.

Thanks for sharing that, @sharaleo . In some ways, you made my day today. I needed to hear/see that and I didn’t even know I did.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/03/14/moog-and-korg-free-synth-apps/

The Minimoog Model D is a genuinely great synth, and the Korg iKaossilator apparently comes with a free copy of Ableton Live Lite.

I was going to be taking a cruise next month, but…yeah. So instead, I went ahead and finally ordered new studio monitors. My first in about 10 years, so I’m pretty stoked.

Nothing like some social distancing to get you back on track.

Thanks! The bass synth at the beginning is the DSI MoPho, the lead/3-part harmony sound is the Alpha Juno, and the little acid line at the end is my trusty 202. The rest is drum samples, and etc.

My new monitors supposedly get here on Sunday, so this will probably be the last track I mix on my old ones.

Another free product. This time from Native Instruments:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/play-series/analog-dreams/

I didn’t have this one, but the price is right, so I just grabbed it.

I had a bee in my bonnet to try and make a track that sounded like the Big Trouble in Little China soundtrack. This is the first one with the new monitors, and I’m pretty happy with the result.

Loved that one! Well done!

This is pretty awesome

Can’t wait for this to fully launch.

I didn’t make it, but I did find it in a op shop for a buck!

Awesome. I used Logic quite a bit back in the day. I’m all aboard the Ableton train, but would love to try this out sometime. Quick Sampler looks almost exactly like this old VST I love called ‘LiveSlice’.

Oh wow, had no idea this thread existed! I got Studio One 4 recently along with the Nektar Impact LX-25 midi-controller.

I was a musician long ago, in the days of cassette Portastudios and standalone drum machines. Guitarist, bassist. Have tried to get back into it over the years and always hit some kind of roadblock (creative or otherwise).

Picked up one of those Tascam Digital 8 Track like 10 years ago and it’s collecting dust. Got a newer version about 2 years ago and it’s collecting dust.

So now I have a software DAW so it can’t collect dust! And I’m always at my laptop these days so maybe I will actually do something. I’ve got say, never working with a DAW before, it seems daunting.

Any good websites (besides Youtube) for tips/instruction on getting started? Even tempted to maybe paying for a class to force me to get started.

I’ve been wondering about this, too. I’ve done a lot of nonlinear digital video editing (FCPX, etc) so Logic feels more intuitive than Ableton to me.

I have one song on SoundCloud. It was made with the cheapest copy of Ableton Live 9 and an Akai MPK Mini. Compared to others here, it’s very simple, and I don’t think it stacks up, but I’m in a sharing mood today! At the rate I’m going, the next song should be up sometime in 2025.

https://www.soundcloud.com/sadleybradley/christmas-war

The hats sound really cool. I’m a sucker for rushes of any sort. Also the bass sits well in the mix, and for tracks like this, that’s no small feat.