System Shock Remake

Neuromancer style. If only we were there.

@GregB Nope, no blank screen. Steam sometimes acts like it’s going to launch it, then nothing happens, I’m still looking at the Steam Library page.

Nothing’s worked. I’ve installed MS VC++ 2015, disabled Malwarebytes, made sure Net Framework is the right version (per the OP here: System Shock Enhanced Edition mini FAQ, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com ), exited Geforce Experience, disabled Steam Overlay, updated my Nvidia drivers, the whole shebang. Literally can’t even watch the intro movie. Sometimes Steam opens a little preliminary window like it’s going to launch the game, then nothing happens.

I suppose the Windows Event Viewer might give a clue but I wouldn’t know where to look.

Did you try this? Just curious, since you didn’t mention it specifically yet.

Yeah, installed it in c:/Games I think. Works fine. The game itself is very disorienting given the radically different UX of the time, and that the game itself was pretty revolutionary then, but technically it all works.

I was asking @Papageno if he tried what you tried Bob. :)

I did count the number of characters in the path and it was nowhere near 64 (It’s currently C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SS1EE\ ).

Also just tried running the exe directly, as administrator, with no luck. Don’t know what compatibility settings I would use. I thought the whole point of this source port update is that it’s supposed to “just work” on modern machines/OS’s though?

I never got to play this when it came out so really wanted to give it a go, but the UI then in the port version is more than I want to handle these days. I hope the new recreation will come out at some point.

Doh. Didn’t see the tiny little “replying too” icon thingy. My eyes is old.

I would try some of them, XP and 95 are the usual suspects that tend to make things work.

As it turns out, the program seems to have a problem with the fact that my Windows User ID has my first name in it spelled with an extended ASCII character (the é in José). It starts up fine when I make a new User ID sans said characters and run it from there. How boneheaded is that? That’s the second game in two months with this behavior, the other being Burnout Paradise Remastered. Apparently even in these cosmopolitan times, some devs think we users all have names like John Smith and Bob Williams and Tom McWhiteguy. So fucking stupid.

Very reasonable complaint. Games are global, and that means a lot more than just being able to milk money from everyone equally. Let’s hope programmers the world over are learning how to make sure this stuff doesn’t happen going forward. Some might think it’s not important, but it is. Having a game effectively give a middle finger to your name and culture out of sheer laziness is kind of a buzzkill at the very least.

I gather it may be the devs use of libraries that don’t handle UTF-8 strings properly. Hard to believe that those are a thing in this day and age, but here we are.

c:\games\přespříští samozřejmě\system shock

birdblooey

I don’t know what I"m seeing, but I like it.

Is yours the Steam version (and is it last week’s update)? And if so, how do you install it where you did? I didn’t think Steam allowed that.

Ahh, takes me back to 2006 when I finally got around to playing through System Shock.

Can’t wait to “accidentally” blast Earth with the mining laser again.

Yeah, that looks great. It already looks like a huge update from the original, but without changing the look and feel of it too much.

That looks great!

No mobs, either. Geometry is the easy part.

Is it possible they’ve got TOO much of the atmospherics going on there?

Still, it’s incredible seeing such familiar spaces in that updated form.