System Shock Remake

Maybe. It all depends on how you viewed the single-pass 128x128 diffuse textures.

If memory serves, those Medical deck wall textures identify as “padded” in the original game, so it would have made perfect sense to interpret those low-res grid patterns as puffy, like the interiors of the Discovery in 2001.

Instead we have these sharp-edged wall frustums that would draw blood if you bumped into them wrong.

That makes sense. Was concerned it was just a cheap way to add more hallway space.

Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet but there’s a free gameplay demo on Steam:

System Shock Demo

I don’t see a demo link, is this for backers only?

I think it was a limited time thing this weekend.

Ah ok, thanks.

Lots of controversy about that demo. Story is originally they were using Unity, and released that demo back in like 2016, and it both played and looked dramatically better than this 2019 Unreal engine demo. I watched a video about it, there’s no doubt that the 2016 version was better in every way.

Anyway, their excuse was the 2016 demo was much shorter and now they’re working on the entire level and not just the first 15 minutes. Still, that was 3 freaking years ago.

Night Dive are basically a remaster studio/port studio, right? While it would be a tall order for even an experienced studio to recapture LGS magic never mind basically a new team’s first internally developed game, the project management of this SS remake has been rough from the outset. When I saw their baffling stretch goals, including putting RPG mechanics in a game that removed them entirely on purpose, I knew it wouldn’t be a good idea to support their Kickstarter campaign. With the recent Otherside layoffs, it has not been a great week for System Shock fans.

That was another huge controversy; it was crowdfunded as a straight-up remaster, but then they got promises of additional funding from someone and decided to expand the scope considerably, adding all kinds of new crap. And then a couple months after that “someone” pulled out and they dropped back to a straight remaster. It’s your standard epic Kickstartian drama, years late, switching engines, scope creep, etc.

I’ve pretty much written my money off on this one. I wanted the simple remaster, then somebody got delusions of grandeur – fuck you, Stephen Kick – and now it’s so late and pathetic I just don’t give a damn.

Hey, but, on happier note, the successful OGRE kickstarter from years back has finally kicked off it Car Wars kickstarter 6th Ed. goal!

That’s really good to hear. Thanks @krayzkrok!

Demo up on GOG.com and Steam

[Keanu] Whoa [/Keanu]

Grabbing.

I like it already.

Made a friend.

Inventory seems pretty nice.

Probably just the first level. I imagine recalling that when System Shock first came out it also had just a level 1 demo.

This is really good.

Dang that looks good. So is the game proper out?

N/m, I see “alpha build” so I guess not.

Hopefully Beta and Release are just a few weeks behind us, cause this needs to be played :-)

I really like how they did the textures high-res low-res … sort of.

Only thing I would’ve liked to see would be physics on the bodies.

This is the same demo that the backers got a while ago I take it?

Unknown. It seems like it is pretty much the entire first level of the game from what I got to before it crashed when I threw a few nades.

The Win64-shipping exe has version tagg “4.25”.

At a glance, it looks like yes. I only briefly touched the backer demo, and haven’t touched this, so I can’t tell you if there is more content here or what. I just wanted to see the engine in action and save it for release.