Tabletop RPGs 2021

I love Wonderdraft, even though I haven’t done much with it. Very user friendly IMHO. And no subscription – you pay for it once. Also, a very active and helpful Discord community with active devs there.

Anglophile-ophobe?

Hah!!

So I came across this today, and figured the good people of Qt3 would appreciate it.

I thought this might Interest some here.

The money this is taking in is INSANE.

What if Blades In The Dark was not only a cool if little-known RPG, but also a potential TV series?

It brings to mind the old Gene Siskel quote: “Is a TV series more interesting than a YouTube channel about that series’ cast playing the game that the TV series is based on?”

That’s amazing. It is a very cool setting, worth reading the book for that alone.

If anyone missed the Kickstarter of @BiggerBoat’s Starforged and wishes they’d gone in, the late pledge option is now live:

So looking forward to this. I’ve been playing around with the preview edition all last week.

Thanks for the shoutout! :)

Avatar RPG ends up raking in $9.5m, good for 10th highest-earning KS ever, 9th most backers ever, and largest TTRPG KS by a pretty huge margin.

Viacom were absolutely obnoxious throughout the process causing huge delays in Magpie Games getting new stretch goals approved; I think they coulda cracked $10m if the licensor had been more on the ball.

That said, I was absolutely in for the $75 tier for all the physical goodies. Can’t wait to run some sessions for my friends.

We also backed

An adorable 5E supplement about kindly animal critters, tasty tea, and cozy adventures. A group of three close friends and I went in on it and are gonna play through together using the included menus. Very excited for that :)

Interesting! Inside info or is there a public source for that?

I haven’t posted here in a while but I started a new job as the pandemic started last April, and soon after hooked up with some folks at work kicking off a 5e D&D campaign. We played weekly and we completed Storm King’s Thunder a few months ago (I played a Bard) and after that we started Curse of Strahd. I think we’re about 2/3rds of the way through at this point.

We generated characters and played a single session of Blades in the Dark, which I found pretty cool. But I’m more excited about our second downtime game: Delta Green.

For those of you who aren’t familiar, Delta Green is often summed up as Call of Cthulhu in modern times, many characters are federal agents or ex-military (but don’t have to be) so it’s often also compared to X-Files, but apparently the first version of the game pre-dated the TV show.

Over the past few months I’ve bought most everything for the latest edition that started up in 2016. Previously it drafted completely off of Call of Cthulhu 6th edition rules, but the new edition is a standalone game. I’m most excited about Impossible Landscapes, a huge campaign that starts in the 90s then brings the players forward in time, and have been listening to quite a few podcast playthroughs and video playthroughs of that campaign.

If folks are interested, Arc Dream has a kickstarter that ends in six days that updates the original 90s books and adventures up to the current edition.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-conspiracy

The public updates Magpie posted to the Kickstarter tell the story without much reading between the lines (but maybe a little). Completely overwhelmed by the turnout/response, assurances that they’ll get new stretch goals up soon. . . delay. . . further assurances. . . delay. . . saying they’re working with legal to get new goals approved. . . delay. . . minor stretch goal in the exact form of several previous shows up, is immediately met. . . delay. . . saying they’re working with legal to get new goals approved. . . [loop until end of campaign]

In their AMA over on the /r/avatar subreddit, I saw at least one other RPG creator talking about how they’d tried for years to get the license without ever getting responses out of Viacom for their efforts.

I think Nick/Viacom have never quite known what to do with the property, as evidenced by the scheduling weirdness with the original series, the extreme scheduling/renewal fuckery with Korra, the radio silence for years, etc.

I wonder if they are starting to realize how much the fanbase for Avatar/Korra has grown over the years? They’ve really done a crappy job with the license (especially how they handled Korra), though some secondary materials such as the comics have been decent.

I think the huge success of the RPG Kickstarter demonstrates the perfect storm groundswell of original fans and new fans. Avatar is now pervasive in geek culture.

Are there any play throughs that you would recommend? I have an interest.

Agh! You and Syzygy are different people! The avatars! So similar!

In terms of Delta Green generally, RPPR Actual Play has a bunch of great Delta Green content, most notably the God’s Teeth campaign (which is written and GMed by Caleb Stokes, who has since been hired full-time to do DG content and there will be a published version of God’s Teeth coming at some point here). I’m also enjoying Mayday Roleplaying’s “Doomed to Repeat” campaign where a team is brought together to try to assemble a reference archive based on past DG ops, which acts as a framing narrative to have the players bring in one-shot characters to play out those ops. And I’ve heard great things about Pretending to be People, but have yet to listen.

I haven’t personally listened to anyone do Impossible Landscapes but I strongly suspect it is on the agenda at RPPR. the main host, Ross Payton, is both a huge DG fan and a huge Yellow King/Carcosa fan.

It’s worth noting - DG is X-Filesy…but you’re more men in black than you are Mulder or Scully. You are expected to contain and cover up the supernatural threats at any cost.

If anyone is interested in Delta Green, there’s two bundles up on Bundleofholding.com for an absolute ton of DG material in drm-free pdf books. Going for another 8 days or so.