Tabletop RPGs in 2022

Nice. Shut Up and Sit Down does a RPG review. It sounds so good:

Also, stay for a walk through Quinn’s favourite systems at the end.

I’d been looking for TOR since I saw it mentioned in this thread but it was never in stock (on Amazon anyway). But I started checking again after you mentioned Strider Mode (Yay, @BiggerBoat) and it was available so I grabbed it. Super gorgeous book that I’ve only just cracked. Can’t wait til the Strider stuff is available for normies who didn’t back this. Mostly just posting to note that if you’ve been looking for this it’s available.

Masks of Nyarlathotep - the university encounter

Hey, we had our second session today and now I know how it went. It was a clusterf*ck, as you’d expect from our group. :)

We split into 2 parties, one going through the side window the intruder had entered, one breaking and entering through the front window. There were screams all over the place. Our front door party managed to scare the tenants even more and the ex-soldier was nearly brained with a shovel.

We rushed upstairs to find Trinidad, the student. I, the hardened bodyguard, was nearly brained by one of the students sneaking behind me with a large crucifix and had to be saved by the archaeologist. Once we got into the Trinidad’s room, she was being held aloft and “embraced” by the intruder. The ex-soldier and I shot it dead… or so we thought.

But the archaeologist and actress both believe in the occult and insistent he wasn’t dead. So they took over the spade and were proceeding to try and hack the head away from the body when the police arrived.

We never ever thought there might be a basement. We were just happy to get out of there not under arrest. :)

But the actress insisted afterward she saw the intruder’s wounds start to close. And that started another disastrous trip to the morgue at night for 3 of us. We went to the complete wrong address (the archaeologist fumbled the library use roll), and were attacked by wild dogs in the middle of nowhere…

Pretty much a typical day for the CoC groups I play in. :)

Hey guys! Have you heard of this D&D thing? Apparently, it’s getting to be a big deal!

Glad to see Quinns giving Torchbearer some love, and to briefly learn about all the strange—and seemingly terrible?—RPGs people (or just Quinns) were playing 15-20 years ago.

Which reminds me, TB Second Edition has been out for a few months now and I was supposed to pick it up. Hmm. . .

See also: vinyl is making a comeback, comics aren’t just for kids anymore.

Those early games Quinns mentions are all very famous and widespread RPGs. For values of famous that skip over D&D, as it is obviously so much more well known than any other RPG at all ever that it skews the curve.

Edit to add what I’m referring to, hehe.

The One Ring: Strider Mode (solo play)

Looks like this is available in pdf now at drivethrurpg.com (maybe elsewhere too). Whooohooo! Now I’m building a nice PnP backlog to go along with my Digital backlog!

The Cypher System is going Open Game License.

One of the first announced projects to take advantage of this is a game based on The Mystery Flesh Pit National Park.

The Blade Runner preview PDFs are out. No time to really read them yet, but I’m looking forward to it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/blade-runner-the-roleplaying-game

I picked up a copy of EZD6. I’ve only flipped through it after watching some videos and reading reviews. It seems like a fun little system, but I fear that it may be a little too “rules lite” even for me. Despite enjoying stuff like Fate and Index Card RPG, EZD6 seems to strip too much of the “crunch” away and leaves the GM (here called the “Rabble Rouser”) and players to fend for themselves.

I think this may end up in the same niche as Quest for me as just being a nice table diversion.

DM Scotty and his buds (or customers, al YTers…) are all the rage on the YouTubes proclaiming its the best thing evar! There is a Blastmaster class! And you roll em some bones, from what I hear. Please report back.

Update: Since you asked previously, I only use dungeon fog now for actual interior Maps. I use Hexographer for tactical wilderness maps now too when I need them.

I’m about to run my first mini campaign at the roleplaying club I’m part of (RP Haven). I’ve always been a player for the past 2 years.

It starts this Wednesday.

It’s slightly intimidating but should be good fun. 2 players have signed up so far. I’m looking forward to it!

What’s in the taller container?

A painted owlbear and a dragonling mini from Descent. Both will come in handy. :)

For those interested in Citizen Sleeper, I just ran across Orbital, a very similar-sounding TTRPG. Not to say either one is a rip-off of the other, though- Orbital came out over a year ago, and video games have a long development time, even indie ones like that. But I digress.

I have Artefact and Bucket of Bolts (single player Journaling RPGs) in physical zine form by the same author, and they seem cool, but I haven’t dug into them yet. This is a lot meatier-looking, though. You can get all three for $20 at the above link for the next day or so, maybe.

Trying times are hitting all over, unfortunately.