Tabletop RPGs in 2023

The spiritual successor to Thousand Year Old Vampire: Thousand Year Old Campire.

Heh, that does look cool. $5 for the pdf? SOLD!

$13 for that Riftbreakers pdf has me hesitating a bit more- it seems neat, but the mechanics might not by my thing- d100 sort of system? Not really my speed these days (I like more narrative sorts of things). But the oodles of oracles has me interested, at least.

For my latest find in the realm of solo-RPGs, I give you Wreck This Deck, a game about trapping demons into a standard deck of playing cards by defacing it- scribbling, tearing, burning, writing runes and sigils, etc., etc. This pushes all my buttons (solo journaling RPGs, urban fantasy/horror/magic, tarot/fortune telling cards, etc). They apparently released a basic edition of it a few years back, then polished it up for a crowdfunding campaign to pay for a real print run last month (when I heard about it). They sent out the pdf to backers a few days ago, the print zine will be here sometime in the next month. I imagine the pdf will be on their itch.io page soonish.

Okay, just one more solo journaling RPG. This one just launched their Kickstarter. It’s called Carved by the Garden, a solo folk horror game. So, if you’re into movies like The Witch, The Apostle, The Ritual, etc., this might be up your alley.

Those you live with are worried for you. Every day you wander into the woods… alone. When you return at dusk, a wild shadow lingers about you.

Those you live with wish to stop you. But their efforts have proved useless. You always find a way into the woods again.

Those you live with offer a compromise. Journal each day about your experiences. Those you live with promise they won’t read your journal unless there is a night you don’t come home. They beg you to be honest in your journal. You agree. But you wonder if they’ll ever believe what they might read.

It’s based on the Wretched and Alone system, which I haven’t gotten into at all. It uses a jenga tower as a mechanic to build tension, but there are alternatives included. The only bad part is that it looks like it won’t be released until after Halloween.

Oddly, they’re atill doing the Starfinder 1st edition “remaster” books as well.

Maybe I’m misreading what you mean, but it looked like there’s a Remaster series of Pathfinder 2E and a playtest/draft for Starfinder 2E. I didn’t catch in my breezy review a mention of a remaster for Starfinder 1E.

I wonder if moving to the Open RPG Creative license is a gift, an expected opportunity to issue new core books? I assume that, like with video games and DLC, core books sell way better than optional books. They need to show their commitment to the new license, too.

Starfinder will be compatible with Pathfinder 2e.

The 1e Starfinder remaster was announced earlier. When this new 2e announcement was made someone asked if this meant the 1e remaster was dead. Paizo reps said it’s still going to happen.

I think that making starfinder 2e and Pathfinder 2e is nuts… And awesome.

Reddit has you covered!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/15hf2ex/with_starfinder_2e_being_fully_compatible_with/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=2

Will my homebrew campaign go all Shannara now?

Only time will tell.

Fabula Ultima won the Best Game Ennie Award for 2023 at GenCon.

Too bad Household didn’t get a win.

Nice! Here’s the full list of nominees and winners.

https://ennie-awards.com/2023-nominees/

I regularly go through the awards and do a bunch of shopping because the TTRPG category is so broad, finding stuff I didn’t know about that is clearly hitting a good quality bar.

I also like using the Ennies as a chance to see what’s been happening across RPGs. They’re so much harder to sample than video games, though. I can maybe try one new RPG in a year. This year’s looks to be Savage Worlds Adventurer Edition, in about a month for a few sessions. It’s not exactly a new system, either.

I picked up the pdf and read through it. I haven’t done any extensive testing of it yet, but it seems okay.

It is a standalone product, so that’s good news for folks that want to do some solo Trekking, but that does mean that for system vets there’s a lot of ground that gets rehashed. In fact, I think the first couple of chapters are literal copy+paste text from the GM and Player’s guides.

Character creation is essentially the same as the core book, but they lop off the last quarter of the process (calculating Stress and assigning equipment). Instead of Stress, the solo game uses a simplified three-hit system in combat. The normal six-sided dice used for damage in 2D20 aren’t used at all in the solo system.

The charts and tables look fairly comprehensive, but like most solo/journaling RPG experiences you’ll need to do some story lifting to get it all to work. This isn’t like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure. (Go check out 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu’s excellent Alone Against… series for that.) This really is a system that depends on what you creatively put into it.

The book does offer lots of instruction like how to construct a good Star Trek Captain’s Log as well as general writing tips like how a three-act show script structure works. It’s got some good advice here.

That’s cool. I stuck one of the rulebooks in my Amazon cart but haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. I’m sure I will before long though.

I bought this awhile back as a vehicle for one of my white whale campaigns (basically just fantasy Star Control but with JRPG tropes for extra lulz), and a friend got very intrigued by the win-nod, so he bought a copy at Gen Con this week and ran a couple of us through the Press Start starter adventure (which rather cleverly literally unlocks portions of the pregen character sheets as you play through the scenes and expand in complexity) at our hotel last night as we closed out our trip with a little hotel bar gaming.

The system is such a funky and weird mishmash of popular RPG mechanics from English-language RPGs from the last 15 or so years (FU is from a little Italian outfit, and there’s a whole essay to be written about the weird late-blooming of the Italian indie scene as they finally begin to emerge out from under the specter of 3.5 D&D), but I quite liked what we played through.

I was very pleased to see Wildsea pick up a 2nd place win, as well. It’s so fucking good. Played another one-shot at GC this year that was an absolute blast.

So Mongoose Traveller is worth the $18 Humble Bundle wants, yes?

I’d say so, if you’re into the Traveller way of doing a sci-fi RPG.

The only thing I see missing from the bundle that would be nice to add is the High Guard book (spaceships and spaceship building).

I would gladly give up the adventures for high guard.