Tabletop RPGs in 2023

Critical Role’s D&D replacement Daggerheart sounds meh overall. I know why they’re doing it, but this doesn’t sound like it will catch on beyond the hardcore Critical Role fans.

Which would still be a significant number more then any other RPG can muster. Besides D&D and Pathfinder maybe.

Edit

After reading more it looks like it is exactly what they need for their actual play though. Pivoting too harsh from D&D is probably a risk they do not want to take at this point. I wager this will be for their next show? I find it harsh that the author nags on classic D&D play. There is a reason the classic power fantasy pastiche is the most popular RPG in the world. If they can capture this ina new and refreshing way that is easily accessible I am all for it.

Yeah I’m sure Critical Role/Darrington Press knows the position they’re in and the sales they can expect. I just wonder how many folks in the Critical Role audience are up for a learning and buying a new system versus sticking with old faithful. Inertia in most TTRPG groups is hellacious.

Does anyone have any experience with Dragonbane from Free League? I am looking to start up two new games over the next months, one in-person, and one running over some sort of VTT.

I was thinking about dragonbane as the VTT one, and tried looking for any reviews, but not many say much about it, and was curious if anyone here had tried it.

I don’t, but I too have been interested in it since it seems conducive to GM-less, mission-oriented play. I assumed it was set in the Forbidden Lands universe owing to similar aesthetic. Turns out, it’s the first Swedish TTRPG and originally came out in the ‘80s and this is a reimagining. It doesn’t even use the Year Zero system (it’s d20, seemingly). Despite adoring Symbaroum, I’m usually a bit skeptical of d20 systems, but I’m certainly interested in seeing more impressions of it whenever they come.

I have no dog in the fight, but coincidentally this vid came into my YT feed a few days ago.

His next two vids are also on Dragonbane, with his most recent being a couple of combat examples, which ie runs through essentiallu solo. Does seem to be a few things that are condicive to solo play, at least in combat - randomised initiative, possibility to randomise monster abilities, potentially some rules on monster targeting, etc.

Cities Without Number, the cyberpunk RPG from Sine Nomine (Stars Without Number and Worlds Without Number) is now available for non-Kickstarter backers to buy.

Yet another kickstarte I will be recieving shortly by mail. I really have a problem, backing all these kickstarters…But I really do love the books!

Oh, nice! Another surprise drop from Modiphius for Trek Adventures!

Well that’s just cool. More stuff for my wishlist, looks like.

So I stumbled across a Youtube about solo rpgs and they talked about Ironsworn, and Starforged. I have both but haven’t dug into them much. But the video mentioned that there is a Foundry VTT module for these and that sounds like it would be super helpful in running a solo game. Anyone tried these with Foundry, or any other solo tabletop using one of the other VTTs?

I did a few sessions of starforged in foundry a while ago and thought it worked great. Definitely a good way to go if you’re looking to do it digitally. It was an early version so I bet a lot of functionality has been added.

Excellent, thanks. Think I’ll finally dive in then and see how it goes.

Would anyone like a digital copy of the Cortex Prime tabletop RPG rules? I have an extra code.

This is the generic system rules used for stuff like the Firefly RPG and other licensed products.

The code is redeemable here: https://www.cortexrpg.com/

Once you redeem it, you can download a pdf copy as well.

I wasn’t sure where to post this question - this seemed like a thread where folks might have suggestions - but if its the wrong place, apologies.

If your 20-something son has rinsed Solasta and Baldurs Gate 3 and has an appreciation for D&D5e and would fancy playing some of it online through a VTT of some sort - are there community sites where people go to sign up, and organise sessions but that can also be localised regarding timezones when it comes to play?

In my day, I used to diddle over at Neverwinter Nights Connections with their persistant server community and also dabbled in Fantasy Grounds when it first released - but I’m kind of out of the loop these days - I wondered if anyone here had any suggestions for places to go and find a welcoming community with a way to form up and enjoy the hobby?

Okay, I’ll openly admit I’m out of the game since at least a decade, and that was before Covid further screwed up the scene. I also openly admit that I can’t stand the D&D rules, so take this as general advice concerning the hobby.

Back in the olden days, I’d have recommended a trip to the Friendly Local Gaming Store, which still might be worth a shot assuming yours actually survived.

Then there’s various online portals shilling their virtual desktops and services, like https://startplaying.games/ , which however seem to be mostly interested in extracting currency (incredulous “Whaddya mean, people actually PAY their DMs now?” from this GenX-DM).

From what I recall, WotC (the publishers of D&D) also have planned a virtual desktop and some sort of community around it, but I wouldn’t expect that to be free, either.

There’s of course always Reddit with several very active D&D and RPG/Tabletop subreddits, which might as well be worth a shot.

And, finally, since you kid probably still has friends and doesn’t have to resort to summoning demons like us 40-50somethings, it can’t hurt to ask around there. You basically need 3-4 warm bodies with a modicum of interest and one id…eally rule-book equipped dude willing to try his hand at game mastering.
I should probably mention that most iterations of D&D are a total bitch to prepare scenarios for due to the amount of bookkeeping involved, and the system has more loopholes that can be exploited than a dodgy governmental subsidy contract, so being on the same page in regards to what goes on the table is important.

This is probably more viable now than it was a decade ago given D&D’s (and TRPGs in general) massive spike in popularity over the last few years. Of course, that varies depending on what sort of town you live in (a college town or any other type with lots of twenty/thirtysomethings is far better for this than an isolated rural community or a stereotypical suburb, for instance).

My nephew was in the same situation. He manage to gather a group of friends with some interest in it. Maybe it helped after an evening viewing the D&D movie. They started with the D&D Starter set that includes everything you need for a low level adventure that took them 4-5 evnings to complete.

I got through the Pathfinder 2e Beginner Box with a group of follow parents. It took a while, over discord.

We recently switch to Foundry VTT, and it’s been moving a lot faster.

Coyote & Crow is offering their core rulebook free for Indigenous People’s Day: Coyote & Crow Core Rulebook PDF – Coyote And Crow Games

https://nitter.net/CoyoteNCrowRPG/status/1711382797456437313

I had to go through the whole checkout flow (with GPay, in my case…) but the final price was 0.

Very slim chance I’ll actually do anything with it, but I like the idea for the game!