Tactics Ogre - Let Us Cling Together (PSP)

Sorry if there is a topic for this but the search didn’t bring anything up that I could tell?

Next week the remake of Tactics Ogre (originally for the SNES I understand, then remade for the PSOne) drops for PSP owners around NA. It came out last November for JP users, and got incredible reviews (Famitsu gave it 9/9/9/9, I read).

I’m pumped. I’m a huuuge fan of FFT and never got into the Tactics Ogre series before, but I’ve been reading up on this one and it sounds like the original developer, who also created FFT, has returned along with the creative mind behind Final Fantasy XII (I’m not even going to try and remember their names) to create this and add new content and expand the story.

There are some very cool sounding things going on here, from the ability to turn back time and re-do the last X turns of the game (up to 50) as needed, gorgeous visuals, updated class balance, and some concepts from FFT itself (such as having 3 rounds to rescue a down unit before it dies).

Is this on anyone elses radar?

Persons of lordly caliber would never cling together.

some concepts from FFT itself (such as having 3 rounds to rescue a down unit before it dies).

OH GOD!!!

not the crazy top of cathedral fight again with the double instant kill assassins…

I really wish we’d have gotten the JP remake versions sub-title “Wheel of Fortune” but I guess Sajak wasn’t cool with that.

Actually to expand on that, I read (on gamefaqs.com forum) that every unit has like three “hearts” and if you don’t revive a unit before the 3 rounds it dies on the battlefield and loses a “heart” but isn’t dead for good until it loses all three hearts? That seems exceptionally forgiving?

I also read that despite all the new tools (2D top down view mode, reversing time, better balance, etc.) the game is actually HARDER than it’s original incarnation. Hopefully it’s still winnable by someone like myself, who enjoys SRPG games but isn’t exactly the BEST at them…

oh, relieved, I thought you are talking about mission type where you have to save someone within x number of turns, I hate those.

I don’t mind the permanent death, you can always reload.

To be fair, there may well be missions like that, I’ve never actually played it. ;)

Also, reloading sucks and is a huge waste of valuable time! I’m glad reloading will be (I assume) less likely with some of the changes in place!

I’m playing Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis right now, and really enjoying it. Wish I had a PSP so I could try this one.

I have been excited for this since it was announced. I have never played a Tactics Ogre game, and I aim to fix that.

So is this a remake of the same game that also found its way to GBA many moons ago? (Is that Knights of Lodis?) Or are they different games?

That GBA one seemed pretty good, although I recall the graphics being fairly bad, even for the time.

From the description of the story it sounds like a remake of the Snes Ogre Battle.

I think I’m going to hold off , I still haven’t gotten around to playing the Final Fantasy tactics PsP remake and usually Square Enix games aren’t that hard to find.

I want to play this game so badly, but I don’t own a PSP.

I wish the font in the NA version was better. It’s caps only. Everybody is yelling, all the time.

Different game. Knights of Lodis was a prequel.

I have no comment on the game, but would like to say that because of the title of this post, I now have the Queen song “Teo Torriatte(Let Us Cling Together)” playing in my head, and probably will for a couple of days.

IGN put a review up - 8.5

Looks like the reviewers only real beef was with the convuluted control scheme and the dated visuals (though I’ve played FFT recently on the PSP and this looks better to me, and I thought War of the Lions was very nice looking).

It sounds like it’s amazing, and just what I’m in the mood for now.

Always wanted to play this! Too bad I only have a DS. But with this + FFT + Persona 3 + the GoW game, I may finally have a reason to get a PsP (or the PsP2 if it’s BC).

Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre are actually two different games set in the same world; Ogre Battle is some weird console pseudo-RTS, while Tactics Ogre is full on strat-RPG. Someone else who knows the games better could probably provide more detail.

Anyone tried this yet?

Impressions from Jeremy Parish are hugely positive.

I have my pre-order set despite never finishing FFT. It’s a great couple of months ahead for Square-Enix on the PSP.

Yes, Ogre Battle was all about positioning your party members (and assigning them to teams) and then moving them across a map. Tactics Ogre, OTOH, was the inspiration for Final Fantasy Tactics, so if you’ve played that game, you know what to expect. I played both of these series back in the day and only recently sold my PSX copy of Tactics Ogre.

This and Dragon Quest VI are my spring gaming purchases. :) Been waiting over a decade for DQ6 to finally come to North America, and I love Tactics Ogre and am looking forward to playing the remake.