Tactics Ogre Reborn - November 11 (PS4/PS5/Swtich/Steam)

Is it normal for the attacks to do so little damage (as a % of the enemy’s healthbar)? The first battle in the 2nd video just looked like a slug fest with each attack doing less than 10% of the target’s healthbar. Seems to extend the battle quite a bit. **

** Ah, around the 18 minute mark he says that everyone has a lot more armor and health than normal and are generally tankier. Not sure how I feel about that. It was very noticeable in that particular battle.

I believe it was done to make the game’s combat feel more tactical - rather than having a Wizard or Archer just one-shot an enemy mage, you have to plan for the future. With the game’s very polished approach to animations, movement, auto-casting buffs at turn start, and options to increase the animation speeds while keeping things looking very nice, I believe it will still be about the same time (or less) to run through a combat as in the past, but it will FEEL significantly more satisfying now. That’s the idea anyway, and it seems like the folks that would know are super happy with the changes.

Also there will likely be a lot of build variety and ways to min/max builds and classes, so it’s good to have room to grow so to speak. But also anything you see will be from the first chapter in the game - it’s kind of hard to say where the math/scaling takes us into the mid- and late game.

Nice!

I was going to question what is “Reborn” about this version since the overall look is the same; I thought they’d have redrawn, higher detail characters and backgrounds, but it’s just higher resolution, it seems. But wow, lots of great changes, really excited for this.

Good video, even for someone like me who never played the original. (And I really like to hear that keyboard/mouse is fully supported!)

Thanks!

What version is everyone planning on, Switch, PC etc? Normally I like to play JRPGs on my Switch but lately my old neck injury makes it harder to play undocked ( because my neck is bent down to look at handheld) and playing on TV can reduce playtime since my wife is often watching something on the tube.

Leaning more on PC at the moment.

Sounds like the Steam Deck is changing things a lot since it gives the portability option along with PC (better graphics) option.

I’m playing on PC. You can also use the steam link (if you have one or have a TV that supports it like an Apple TV) to play on your big-screen TV when you have permission :)

I’m going Switch - many of the videos I was watching (and linked earlier) are actually Switch versions, so I don’t imagine any real differences between the models and having a portable OLED screen and a better battery has leaned me towards Switch vs. Steam Deck every time so far. If you get it for the Switch you will limit your time playing it Docked on a TV but have the option to play it on the go when your neck is feeling better? Best of both worlds, unless your Switch dock is bound to a TV you don’t have a lot of access to, of course.

I played the last one on the Vita so Switch just seems right to me.

I’m my mind these games belong on a console so I’ll likely go either Switch or PS5.

Definitely PC. Never owned a console nor a switch.

Ditto.

Fewer devices I have cluttering up the place, the better.

I was once like you, until I took a Dreamcast to the knee.

haha, love the reference. This isn’t console snob thing btw, just never got around to buying one.

Guess I never ran into a must have game likely because most of what I play is strategy/tactics stuff that’s primarily on the PC.

I don’t understand why this isn’t releasing on mobile.

I do have the steam link (bought a couple of extra when they were on sale for 5 bucks) but I used it primarily to browse on my TV ; )

I did forget about that option but not sure how to get a controller to work (my XBOX Controller will not work wirelessly with the USB Adapter) and I don’t want a wired controller across the floor. The age factor means we are more prone to tripping these day lol.

I suppose I can always try it on Steam for an hour or so and return and then get it on the Switch if I think that is the better option.

Not even a NES or Genesis? My first gaming came from a Colecovison my Dad brought home when I was a kid, and then a NES when I was in junior high. I didn’t get a PC until I was nearly 20! Though I consider myself primarily a PC gamer, I will always go where the games I want to play are found.

Well, I had an inside line on the original PC, my dad worked for IBM. So we got one the year they released in 1981. That set me down the PC path from then on so next thing I picked up was a PC Jr when they released.

The only other places I gamed back then was dialing into the UT mainframe or arcades.

Probably because no one on mobile is going to be interested in paying $60 (or whatever the release price is) for it.

Square has sold full price games on iOS.

Do many big games like this ever hit mobile? That sounds like an awful way to play something like this, but I’m not a fan of mobile gaming.

Edit: Oops I thought I was in the Pestona 5 thread!