Teenage Bounty Hunters - Buffy sisters but vs fugitives

Brought to you by the folks that gave us GLOW.

They’re not mutants or ninjas? Pass.

I can only watch the trailer with sound off right now. Looks terrible.

Also looks like I’m 30 years older than the target audience, which is probably why it looks terrible to me.

I’m sure it’ll do fine.

Pass for me. Guess I’m too old.

Looks like fun in a trashy way, but the people who make it have pedigree, so, might be better than what it looks.

OR turtles!

Yeah, I need pointy ears, a ray gun or a bastard sword to get excited. (Though the actresses are cute.)

I kinda like what I saw, but then I loved Buffy/Angel (cept the mediocre to terrible last seasons of Buffy). But are they supposed to be high schoolers or just look like it? Cuz it sure looked like they were getting it on with a teacher?!

Last night I watched the trailer again, this time with sound on. I can tell the show isn’t aimed at me. That’s fine. I’ll just put this one up there with most Netflix shows aimed at teens.

are they supposed to be high schoolers or just look like it? Cuz it sure looked like they were getting it on with a teacher?!

Yea, the impression I got was that they’re just kids. That’s why they’re so happy and proud about one of them losing their virginity and having full on “sex in the vagina” and stuff. But unlike Buffy, I don’t think these kids are being sexually exploited by a hundreds-years-old stalker/vampire in a sewer.

This show is streaming now. If anybody has watched it yet, any opinions?

I just finished the first episode. It’s like a non-fantastical Buffy crossed with the humour and dialogue style of GLOW. The two female leads both have charisma, and somehow come across as believably both tough and Gen Z girls. I’ve chuckled most in sympathy with Bowser, and I like how it all makes sense why he’d work with them considering Atlanta and its… limitations.

I’m on board. At least for another episode or two.

I ended up binging the whole season in one go. It’s good, would definitely watch more of this.

That horrible trailer is a fair representation of the first episode, maybe the first two. But I think the cringyness of the dialogue in the first episode is very intentional, just for setting up the character arcs.

Loved the payoff for the “twin thing” in the last episode. (Sterling being gagged and only visible through the window, and the two still having a super detailed conversation just via a glance).

Or Pirates!

Instead of all that, apparently they’re supposed to be sluts. I just read in the Wikipedia article for the show that that the working title for was series was Slutty Teenage Bounty Hunters and changed at release.

We actually skipped over the first part of episode one, it was unwatchable. Once they got to the actual bounty hunting things picked up and got much better. The insufferable teenage act went from just straight up annoying to still annoying, but quite funny.

“Sluts” in the sense that they’ve reclaimed the word. See stupid sex-shaming evangelical school which they attend.

Also: Atlanta sure comes off badly here (not that it doesn’t deserve it). Much racism & at least one Dukes of Hazard reference.

The series is surprisingly topical and nuanced about some things though. Thought they did a great job with the confederate statue arc, for example.

Diego

I loved this show. It’s possibly because I come from that kind of high school, but the events resonated with me. There are a lot of asides and small comments you have to be paying attention to catch. I might have even shed a tear or two.

Started watching this last night for something easy to follow while cooking dinner. Found myself really digging it. Only 1.5 episodes in, but it’s way better than I expected. The two leads are great. Definitely working for me.

I watched the first two episodes last night and also really liked it. It has a similar vibe to GLOW, just swap out 80s wrestling kitsch for modern affluent southern suburban private school kitsch. The twins are excellent, as is Bowser (aka Dwayne Wayne!).

It’s not Breaking Bad, but there are some subtleties here and there and the show is well crafted with good pacing. It’s grabbing me in a way that Warrior Nun didn’t – that one seems to be a classic case of great concept and poor execution.

Jenji Kohan is the executive producer of the show (Weeds, Orange is the New Black, GLOW, etc.), so the comparisons make some sense. Also explains why the show is IMO more than maybe first appears.

Diego