Tell us what’s happened to you recently (that’s interesting) Part Deux

Or y’know JUNE 4TH WITH A HIGH OF 98.

I hate everything right now.

I am not faculty, but I have written letters of recommendations for interns over the last decade. The letters generally follow the formula of (1) gushing, (2) specific instances of success, (3) suggested growth, (4) intern’s career direction as related to the application.

A few times, interns who, ummmmm, had a long list of suggested growth would ask for letters. We had an awkward conversation about that which went something like this:

“I can write you that letter, but here is what it would say. I would have to mention the 50% of times you were late to work, the time you asked for a week extension on a major deliverable (10% of the internship), and how you evaded all the questions in your final presentation. Plus, you were interviewing around the entire time you were here. I don’t think you want a letter from me. What do you think?”

I hope that’s better than a stealth letter of suck.

Who needs fireworks when you have a slow burn!

Very true. I have learned to handle occasional heat. It’s the weeks of heat I loathe. (I can’t believe I survived living in Kansas for 16 years where summer is late March to mid November.)

I would have benefitted from being called on my bullshit SO MUCH as a young person. May not have recognized or appreciated it at the time, but still.

It’s a relatively new research place - the guide told us they had only been open for about 5 years now. I honestly don’t know where it is (my wife drove and I nodded off in the back seat) and she also booked it, but I believe it is this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60872-d9710222-Reviews-Kanaloa_Octopus_Farm-Kailua_Kona_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Also, make sure you check out the Manta Rays - lots of places do charters for that sort of thing, and it’s not to be missed.

I survived the move! It went well. Very nice guys. I made a good choice going with someone local over a national chain, I think. (They’re associated with one I think.) The owner drove the truck. He’s an older guy, and we had some cool conversations about some of his moving experiences.

I will be living out of boxes for weeks but now it’s time to set up the Xbox. :)

Congrats, and welcome to civilization!

The canvas print I got from the contest I won on Twitter arrived a few weeks ago so I took it to get professionally framed with museum grade glass and it turned out just absolutely amazing.

I love it! Tom should give you the tag: Art Guy. :)

That’s so awesome!

Cool as hell, Scott.

Painting genius?

Saturdays are family movie night. Daughter is three, so we watch Disney/DreamWorks fare, and we choose a movie by cycling through trailers on streaming services until we see one that our daughter says she likes.

Tonight, the trailer that my daughter went crazy for is for a movie called Cats - not the musical, but an animated movie. “It’s a sequel to Secret Life of Pets,” my wife said. The animation and the movie’s logo look the same, so I just took it at face value, and we fired it up.

Immediately, something was off. The studio credits were all from Chinese companies. Not necessarily a red flag, as this could be the streaming equivalent of a straight-to-video sequel, which are usually outsourced. But suddenly I was paying attention and noticed more little things. The movie is set in China, not New York. The typical “beginning of movie tragedy” is a little too tragic. All of the voice acting has that “this movie was obviously made in a different language and dubbed over awkwardly so they didn’t need to change the animation” quality to it.

So then I got really curious - not concerned, I was just wondering whether this movie is actually connected to Secret Life of Pets or if it’s just total /r/crappyoffbrands material. A cursory search told me very little other than that it is definitely a knockoff. Huh, okay, all was well. I prepared to settle in and watch the movie.

Wait a minute, something caught my eye. Why does the movie have a twelve percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes? Even garbage knockoff crap wouldn’t be rated that low. I started reading reviews, expecting to get a laugh out of them talking about the dubbing or a nonsensical plot or something.

No, apparently this movie features (spoilers, I guess) multiple scenes of pets getting straight-up beaten, tortured, and abused to death, such that they go on a maybe-metaphorical-but-actually-real journey to heaven.

Here’s one review. Every other review hit most of the same points.

I sent a couple reviews to my wife while we were sitting there watching it, and we soon ran into some “technical difficulties” and just watched Secret Life of Pets instead.

Congrats and welcome… back! It’s a shame it’s so hot though. My kiddo has been nursing a high temp since yesterday, and since we don’t have all the window units in yet, we just drove around for an hour and a half this afternoon with the AC blasting.

Yes, that is gorgeous. Can I ask how you went about getting it framed and how much did the frame set you back?

Holy shit. I’ll try to make sure that our Amazon Prime account never finds that movie. And somehow they got Dermot Mulroney as one of the dubbed voices? Thanks for the heads up.

I went to Hobby Lobby and they had lots of frames to pick from and really knew their beans. It was $159 but about $45 of that was from my upgrading the glass to museum grade to eliminate glare. It was a decent sized 30” canvas so that probably factored into the price. I’m told that’s a great deal, and that Hobby Lobby is always half priced on framing vs other places, but this is my first time doing it so I have no frame of reference there.

https://i.imgur.com/DY49IG6.jpg

I’ve been hiking a lot lately up on the trails outside of town (sometimes twice a day) and I keep seeing lots of fun wildlife, like deer and rabbits, squirrels and raccoons. Last night I came across this little guy - he was shaky on his feet and didn’t even seem to know how to dart away from me, so I took a few pictures of him and left him alone, but I super duper wanted to try and pet him. :) I wouldn’t of course, poor guy, plus the idea of an angry coon mom bursting from the nearby brush had me scurrying away. I really like racoons though, super cool animals.

Gotta be careful with the wild critters. The GF’s brother found a dead possum when he was about 10 years old and decided to touch the possum. It jumped up and bit him and he had to get rabies shots.

zombie possums are the worst!