Tell us what’s happened to you recently (that’s interesting) Part Deux

But they are even better the second day!

I know there are differences in the types of frames used, but for a very rough comparison:
I had a similar-sized print, not canvas, done around 20 years ago at a locally-owned pro shop, and it was $180 way back then. I had never had anything framed for display before, so I just went with it. I don’t remember what he quoted me for the non-glare museum glass, but I do remember it would have been prohibitive, so I just went with whatever the normal glass was. And now I’m wishing I’d have spent the extra, because this glass in certain light reflects pretty badly.

This is the thread (well, the incremented thread) where we discussed federal financial aid before, so just FYI:

https://www.nasfaa.org/news-item/25853/ED_Announces_Changes_to_Verification_Process_for_the_2021_22_Award_Year

The feds, as of yesterday, are doing away with most verification requirements for federal grant and loan. We will still verify a few things, but the BIG V1 batch, where you have to collect tax returns and often other things, is going away at least for now.

Let the layoffrs begin across the financial aid world!

Well, between settling my father’s estate and positive changes at work, it seems like I might actually be able to afford a house–and not just any house: a house I like. In Seattle.

Every other place I’ve lived in my life has been either embarrassing or manifestly unsafe. And sometimes both.

This is both very exciting, and very stressful.

If I could give you a like or a thumbs up I would. Sometimes other peoples good stuff just makes me happy :) . Try not to stress too much - this is good!

That is really great news. I can’t imagine being able to afford living IN Seattle.

(Well, I actually can imagine it. I’ll be in my bunk.)

And I just had an offer accepted! A really nice 1920 craftsman that has been well maintained and modernized. Big finished basement, too. I think it went for a good price because it’s close to a busy street (Aurora), but it’s way back on the lot and surrounded by trees so it feels very secluded. Plus, the photos used in the listing weren’t great and really undersold how nice it looked in person.

And now for the “oh god, what the hell have I got myself into” phase of the process.

Hooray - congratulations :)

Congrats! We were going to sell…in February 2020. That plan got uh somewhat derailed.

Do we have a dedicated homeownership thread here? I feel like I’m going to have a lot of questions…

There’s the thread of stuff that you’ve fixed that’s interesting, which reads like a thread of homeownership.

Otherwise I’d say go for it and make a new one.

Well, funds have been wired, meeting with a notary at 3pm to sign, and then things will be all set to close tomorrow.

So I guess this house thing might actually happen.

Good luck! It’s gonna feel so great when you get everything signed and the keys are yours!

Similar to @anonymgeist I should be getting keys to a new place soon.

I’m a bit earlier in the process though.

And it’s official! Keys are in hand.

Hooray!

Nice!

Congrats!

I successfully defended my dissertation in mid-August and my PhD was awarded last week.

Refer to me now as Dr. Copeknight! ;)

Great job!