Tell us what you have cooked lately (that's interesting)

I’m cross-posting this picture and some of the content from the grilling thread, but this post is mainly about entertaining. I note that some of you, especially @ArmandoPenblade, tend to cook for large groups at times. I had some trouble with this last night.

The grilling of the salmon went really well, and I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of the gas grill. To wit…

The problem is cooking for a diverse group and timing it. One of the things I like that Randy did with one of his last parties was tell the guest of honor, essentially, “This is what I’m considering, pick a cuisine.” Last night I needed to cook for nine people, three of which were kids under 10. Two were teenagers. Four were adults. One was a vegetarian. And there could be no pork or shellfish. My kid is picky. Two of the kids seem not to eat at all.

So as I look back at the evening, I ended up grilling corn-on-the-cob (which turned out great), vegan sausages, steaks, salmon (as pictured), and mushrooms.

I also baked a couple of pizzas in the house, but that’s another post.

I was way too ambitious. Our guests liked most of what we cooked, but I could not nail the timing. The steaks just didn’t come out right. Too much resting time before the salmon reached the table meant they were kind of cold, and while pretty rightly cooked, still a little weird.

I need to figure out how to limit the menu while still respecting a wide array of tastes and demands. How do you do that? Do you just tell people, “We’re having this, and if you and your kids are picky eaters, suck it.”? I mean…what do you do? I’m just starting to try to entertain again by grilling out, and I’m stumbling a bit.

I’d appreciate any advice from you folks.

-xtien

I don’t entertain, so this is speculative advice at best, but…I’d have maybe two or three major options to cover the biggest spectrum of preferences, which should hopefully cover adults, and then if a kid is particularly picky ask that their parent or guardian bring something to accomodate them. Obviously miss out anything that would hit someone’s allergy or be a total no-no to even be on the menu for someone.

Pre-prepped foods are also a lifesaver in situations like this.

For the recent Japanese menu, I pre-made about 1.25 gallons of dashi stock (which would go into the miso soup, the okonomiyaki batter, and the tempura dip), about a gallon of pork-and-chicken bone broth (for the ramen), the pork-infused shoyu tare for the ramen (the strained, leftover soy-sake-mirin-sugar-garlic-scallion mixture the chashu pork simmered in), and the soy marinated soft-boiled eggs. TBH, I could have also premade the yakisoba (I just got lazy the day before and took a nap instead of cooking more) and pre-chopped some veggies which would have saved me even more time.

This meant my main focuses when I got in where veggie chopping for soups, tempura, and curries, sauteing the chicken teriyaki, and deep-frying the pork cutlets while I went about placing out and recombining the precooked stuff for service. My new rice cooker just got to hang out and handle the white rice all by itself, and the curry coming from pre-made curry bricks mostly (aside from caramelizing the onions and par-cooking the carrots and potatoes in vegetable stock for extra flavor) made that a dead-simple recipe to assemble.

Due to some issues I ran into, this still didn’t work perfectly (the okonomiyaki just didn’t come together till 2/3 of the guests had already eaten; we didn’t have enough fryer-space for the tempura), but it helped a lot.

In less detail, for the burgers-and-al-pastor bday party, the al pastor marinade, guacamole, rice, and beans were all done ahead of time, and tbh, I wish I had gotten to the party early enough to pre-shape all the burgers so I didn’t panic and send the hostess out for unnecessary extra beef an hour into things.

So for a larger gathering, think about what can be done and held ahead of time. Obviously most of your served-cold (or room temp) sides should be done ahead–potato salad, actual salad, breads, etc. Condiment and topping layouts should be largely set or passed off to a friend or family member. Consider seeing if you can pre-cook the corn and the vegan sausages and then hold them to temp in a 250F oven (I am betting neither is in much danger of over-cooking).

Also, while this is outside of my experience, a LOT of folks who grill for groups I know, including some here on the forums, are gaga over sous vide. That way you can pre-cook the steaks and salmon directly to desired internal temp, hold them there in large batches indefinitely, and then just de-bag and sear when it’s time to serve. Enormous time-saving, and still fits under the umbrella of pre-cooking!

Also, this is an area where appetizers and drinks make you look like an excellent host. While I was tackling the Japanese food, my friend Megan was keeping the crowd at bay with a veritable wall of chips, dips, and veggie snacks. Having someone on mixed drink duty is awesome. Having a quick-prep appetizer you can serve fresh–say, cheese sticks or something from the deep fryer, which pushes out high quantities quickly–while you cook longer-timed stuff is also good.

Heck, helpers helped me at the Japanese thing–I set two girls on an unfortunately slow-cooking electric griddle to the task of the fried rice and the hibachi vegetables (which were prepped very similarly) after I had setup the mise in place for both and shown them an example batch to start with.

edit: this post is largely written from the perspective of not limiting an absurd menu to something more feasible, because I am an absurd human. reducing total variety is also entirely valid and people are still gonna be hella grateful to you for cooking :)

Armando nailed it, essentially. Par cooking.

Limit the menu beforehand and communicate what it will be. You don’t have to be ultra specific, but something like, “grilled sausages and steaks and some sides,” along with, “bring extra if you think the kids/wife/hubby wants to add to that.” It takes the onus off of you to cook for every minor need, while focusing on the key dishes you are highlighting.

Par cook some sides, or prep them enough that it’s easy to add them onto the grill/cooktop/stove along with other items. Then you aren’t worried about prep and whatnot while you have actual cooking going on.

Mentioned before, but assign someone to help you: running things to the serving table or bar, getting things you need while in the middle of cooking, etc.

And these are tips from my boss, who is feeding 150+ this weekend for a graduation party. Don’t try to be all things a restaurant has. Cook, but don’t serve. Show them drinks, don’t make them. He’s settled on a “taco bar” for the event with 3 massive meat filling choices, one veggie filling choice, all kinds of add-ons and warmed up sides, pre-made desserts, and serve your own drinks. All he has to focus on is keeping the bar topped up as people move through it. They are practically serving themselves the entire time.

Sous Vide really helps with the par cooking. For instance, I am doing St. Louis style ribs and a brisket for Memorial Day. Brisket is already cooked and in the fridge (along with a large mason jar of brisket juice for au jus and a base for burnt ends) and the ribs are in the bath right now and should be ready for an overnight chill. Then on Memorial Day I just have to throw everything in the smoker a few hours before guests arrive.

Beauty of it is it isn’t just cooked, but hermetically sealed in a plastic bag and ready to go.

We entertain fairly often. As the weather improves, it’s almost all about grilling, at least the primary proteins. Like others have said, sides and such are done inside on the range/oven, and sometimes ahead of time. Most times though, we ask guests to bring a side or dessert so we don’t have to deal with it.

When we have 25+ over, we cater in. Way too many people and moving parts to have a really successful grill out and party. Under that, we do it ourselves. Just having immediate family over puts us at 11 mouths to feed. Having a few friends and their families over can put us at 16-20 mouths.

Almost every time we set the menu and guests can deal with it or bring something they’d like to be grilled for the entrees. With the potluck style, it’s pretty easy to feed a large group of people.

I have nothing but awe and admiration for folks like Armando who do everything, and do it so damn well!

Shrimp cooked in a siracha garlic mayo.

I forgot to take pictures after taking the food out but made some brisket and St. Louis ribs. I separated the point and the flat on the brisket. Thanks to Sous Vide I was able to save the juice from the brisket so I made Brisket French Dip with the flat of it and it was possibly the best French dip I’ve ever had. I also tried making burnt ends with the point but messed up in execution. I think it was too moist to make burnt ends with because of the Sous Vide. I followed an online guide, but instead of the sauce rendering down and caramalizing it ended up just getting more and more broth-y. I’ll have to work on that next time I do a brisket. Overall everyone enjoyed their food which is always the objective. But I am still yearning for some damn burnt ends. My trip to Kansas City last year has ruined me.

Tyler those shrimp sound and look fantastic. As someone who loves shrimp, especially when it’s spicy, those look awesome. It also sounds very close to Yucatan Shrimp. The differences are minor, but sambal oelek vs Sriracha, then also added lime juice and finely chopped jalapeno are in the shrimp tossing sauce.

And @MattN , where did you find the sous vide brisket / smoke / french dip guide? I could use it!

I just followed the serious eats guide on the Sous Vide time and temp and the rest was me. Brisket is really easy to do when sous biding because it takes all the stress and precision out of the smoking.

I just used a Texas style salt and pepper rub, put it in the Sous Vide bath, drained the juices from the bag into a giant mason jar I have, resealed the bag, and then chilled it and refrigerated everything. Then Monday was simply a matter of smoking the brisket for 3 hours and reheating the juices from the mason jar.

Easy enough. I think I’ll attempt it this week.

I’m gonna do that too

Rhubarb Coffee Cake

I also made Rhubarb lemonade, but didn’t take a picture of that since it’s like, you know, just pink fluid.

I heard from local gardeners that they think we might be able to grow rhubarb here, so I am going to try getting some dormant root sin the fall. Since it is so hot here they may be more like an annual than a perennial but since non-limp ribs go for $6.00 a pound, probably still worth it. Sadly this farm is all out, my supply has tried up unless i want the limp noodles in the grocery stores.

You are where, Nesrie? Rhubarb is really easy to grow. I’ve grown it from Florida to Michigan, and I have a huge plant of it now in Massachusetts. Its damned near impossible to kill, in fact.

Eastern Oregon, which is a high desert environment.

That said those prices are crazy @Nesrie. Literally more than double what they are by me. Though your seafood is probably much cheaper.

I’m actually going to whip up a rhubarb cheesecake today I think. Got some stalks needing harvesting

Close, we’re actually Southern Oregon but we get triple digit summers almost every year; when I was kid not always and it meant up to 102 maybe 103. Lately it’s gotten worse, like 108+ some years. That’s what might kill it. We were about 40% below our average snow pack levels a number of weeks ago… it’s not looking good for us this year. While the East Coast drowns I’m expecting we’ll be on fire… again. Interesting factoid though… i believe it was 2011… we had snow around this time of year. We’re expecting up to 90 tomorrow. Our weather is so screwed up.

The advice I received is despite the claim to put it in full sun to try and find partial shade so it’s not hitting full sun the entire day. it’s also possible I will lose the plants, but even an annual basis, it might worth it. The plants aren’t too bad to look at either.

I love cheesecake. Almost my entire family love’s it except my mom. I’ve only met two cheesecakes in life I couldn’t stand, one was coffee based and even my love of cheesecake couldn’t hide that nasty flavor, and the other was some touristy place’s cheesecake that tasted like… egg.

New, delicious EGGCAKE

Also, food:

On my phone so I can’t see previews, but made some shrimp tacos (seared shrimp in olive oil with minced garlic, red chili flakes, cumin, black pepper, espazote, and lime zest; served over a cilantro-lime-jalapeno crema. Gf had lime rice, corn and more cilantro on hers; I had a spicy slaw with lime, green onions, carrots, and cabbage). Also made a big Frito pie with, well, Fritos, chili, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream.

You’d probably have to water it some, yes. It grows great in the shade, though, so that would help too. My old house had this pergola-sort of thing completely overgrown with wisteria, and the rhubarb grew right on the edge of that, so it got sun maybe very briefly in the late afternoon, the rest of the time was shaded. If you just let it keep growing, it gets huge–this one was probably 4-foot across.[quote=“Nesrie, post:7328, topic:50840, full:true”]

Close, we’re actually Southern Oregon but we get triple digit summers almost every year; when I was kid not always and it meant up to 102 maybe 103. Lately it’s gotten worse, like 108+ some years. That’s what might kill it. We were about 40% below our average snow pack levels a number of weeks ago… it’s not looking good for us this year. While the East Coast drowns I’m expecting we’ll be on fire… again. Interesting factoid though… i believe it was 2011… we had snow around this time of year. We’re expecting up to 90 tomorrow. Our weather is so screwed up.

The advice I received is despite the claim to put it in full shade to try and find partial shade so it’s not hitting full sun the entire day. it’s also possible I will lose the plants, but even an annual basis, it might worth it. The plants aren’t too bad to look at either.

I love cheesecake. Almost my entire family love’s it except my mom. I’ve only met two cheesecakes in life I couldn’t stand, one was coffee based and even my love of cheesecake couldn’t hide that nasty flavor, and the other was some touristy place’s cheesecake that tasted like… egg.
[/quote]

Yeah here’s my plant. They are indeed hearty. It’s on the western side of my house, and due to the neighbor house it only gets sun for a few hours from noon until about 4.

Last year, right where the plant is, we had a foundation crack that we had to have fixed. So the whole area got dig up.

Plant cake right back a month or so later.

The previous owners had planted it, and were very old so most of their garden plants had been neglected, im still finding random spots of garlic from when they let it go to seed, but it survived.

We went on vacation in the summer and it didn’t get watered for a week. Most of the leaves died off.

Plant still came back.

Basically no matter how you mistreat it it seems to come back as soon as you give it water.