Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

So last month, like a lot of people, I had a super high gas bill related to heating in my home. Super high as in nearly what I pay for well over 3/4 of a normal year. WTF I thought. Well it was pretty cold I thought. I need a better thermostat I thought.

Two days ago my heating finally gave out. That super high bill could have been related to the struggle my admitedly ancient 20 year-old system just couldn’t take. It gave out with a whimper. Instead of just replacing the heating, I opted to go for the full monty of an entire HVAC replacement happening tomorrow.

I have heartburn looking at this quote right now. So much for a little vacation this year. :(

I know it hurts now, but that’s a good decision. I did the same in my condo a few years back and it’s been so nice to have a modern system in place. Haven’t had a bit of trouble with it since.

I’m hoping to enjoy the same. I had paid for other repairs a lot more over the last 8 years or so as the system slowly gave up and I’m kicking myself for not pulling the trigger earlier. More efficiency, more features, and it will hopefully not have repair issues for quite a while.

I’m amazed that it will only take them a half day (supposedly) for a replacement.

Huh, I’ve been there actually. Never had their wings though. Got a friend who is a firefighter out in Beavercreek though.

I hate to admit it but I had a similar experience today. Had to go for blood work, Ubered both ways. The lady driving me home was gorgeous. Plus she was wearing an amazing fragrance. She was a talker and I must have sounded like an idiot. Stammering like a kid. Then when I was getting out of the Nissan Sentra I slipped. She was like, “Be careful sir. Do you need help?”

Kill me now.

So I got another Mom recollection. We went on some pretty cool vacations when I was a kid um like 50 years ago. As an aside I might be the only teenager who smuggled dope into Mexico on one of those trips so I could smoke up.

Ok well it was probably in Guadalajara - we’re on a tour bus. I’m a long haired teenage American guy who’s still a virgin. I’m looking down at street level and see a group of very cute young ladies who are giving me the eye and giggling. I think I’m hot shit, after all I’m a long haired guy who bore a resemblance to either Jesus or Manson at the time tale your pick.

And that was when my mom always astute and pretty with it for the time given it was early 70’s tells me, in a nice way, in a soft voice so as not to damage my ego too badly, what a transvestite is. I am still happy I was attractive from their perspective but let’s face it I’m just a horn dog.

I love this anecdote as part of the story. :)

“Ladies loved him! Local dealers hated him! He was … Nixxter.”

It’s about time to get the outdoor running season going here in West Michigan. Around St Patrick’s Day every year is the Irish Jig 5k (exactly on the holiday this year). Ran it this morning, and while I had a good time, I could definitely feel that I’ve been using a treadmill the last few months instead of out in the real outdoors!

But that’s not what’s really interesting. Here’s the good stuff - check out this awesome glass that I can use to drink my St Patrick’s Day beers!
New photo by Skip Franklin

Get you some Under Armor and go outdoor year round. While pushing a stroller ;)

Cool glass though, those types of events are always fun.

That would be against my principles of laziness. :)

I just won my first Ebay thingie.

Like I’ve said before, I’m fascinated by magnification devices. So I got this.

I had one that was from the Manhattan School of Printing. It was lost when I was hit by a car. So I have been searching for the same kind of device for years. They are either too expensive, $60 and up. Or broken in some way. This one is just what I’m looking for.

Glad you weren’t hurt. Hopefully Darwin can avoid anymore cyclones.

That was my first thought when I read your first post. “Uhh…I don’t see Smaug…”

Hope the cleanup and power restoration goes quickly!

Man I wish I’d know this about 5 years ago. My grandfather was a watchmaker. When he passed we went through a ton of his old stuff and he had a lot of pretty crazy looking magnification devices for his line of work. Really old stuff. He also had a ton of old watches and a few clocks that went to different members of the family.

@krayzkrok I hope things are okay and really hope you avoid the next front coming in.

Smaug getting free, isn’t that how the Godzilla legend came about?

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

Smaugzilla!

The new movie on Syfy, Croc-clone!

You do like that song, right? Right?

Yeah man, Billy Joel rules!

Agreed on something. Finally.