Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

That’s pretty much the exact correct read of it, yeah. At one point, after I told him for a second time that he can’t use the name, he said something akin to “Bring it, bitch.”

A real hoot at parties, I’m certain.

Would other Facebook users reporting him help? I never use it but I am on it.

So… what field out there requires someone to hide their video game habit in shame? I thought it was mostly mainstream now.

Just did a 25-miler to see a World War II bomber that crashed into a mountain while en route to the war. Always a sad feeling to visit such places.

Don’t know how interesting this will be to anyone else, but I had my first brush with law enforcement in Mexico.

We drove down to Puerto Penasco for the weekend to start looking for a place to live (I hope to be there permanently no later than the first of the year).

Anyway, just as you cross the border into Sonoita, there’s a speed trap where the limit drops from 70 kph to 40. I wasn’t paying attention and didn’t realize I was speeding until I saw la policia flashing lights behind me.

Not only did I get a ticket, but the cop seized my license and made me follow him back to the station. They wouldn’t release my license until I paid the fine (in cash). Fortunately I had the 2000 pesos ($118 in real money) on me, but it put me in a shitty mood and darkened the rest of the weekend.

What would have happened if you hadn’t had the cash on hand? Would they have jailed you?

I don’t know. Certainly they would have held my license. I suppose I could have plead poverty, let them keep the license, and then reported it lost to the DMV when I returned. It’s not like they had my passposrt.

OTOH, they might not have let me leave until I came up with the money.

I’m glad I didn’t have to find out.

Hm, curious. There was a speed trap in Louisiana like that that used to get me, cop pulled me over and said I could pay my ticket in the spot. I was a bit confused by that but I did pay, I don’t recall it being too much. No receipt or paper trail though, so I imagine it was just a shakedown.

Did you offer to pay the fine in cash on the spot? My Mexican co-worker tells me that “follow me back to the station” is often code for “I’ll let you off easy if you pay me some cash right here and now.”

Unlike divedivedive I was issued a formal ticket, and there was a paper trail, so it didn’t feel like a shakedown. The cop spoke very little English, and my Spanish isn’t that great, so I doubt negotiation would have been possible.

Now that I think about it, they had a record of my car and license plate number, so just leaving them holding my license probably wouldn’t have been a very smart option.

@Sonoftgb This may be too personal, so feel free to ignore, but why are you wanting to become a permanent resident of Mexico?

Not too personal at all :). I’m 66, and having been an independent contractor almost all my life I have zilch put away for retirement, which means if I ever plan to stop working (which I do in the next 2-3 years) I’ll have to live on Social Security. That means living outside the US if I want to maintain any sort of enjoyable lifestyle.

I briefly considered Belize and then Panama, but about a year ago rant into some old clients of mine who retired down to Puerto Penasco about 10 years ago. We had vacationed there many times, but I never considered it as a retirement destination. After researching it, it seemed the obvious choice for several reasons:

1. Cost of living - you can live a very nice and active lifestyle there for less than $1500/month.

2. Proximity to the US - it’s only a a 4 hour drive from Tucson or Phoenix, plus flights from the US will be starting up in October. That makes it a lot easier for family and friends to visit, and vice versa.

3. Large expat community

4. Most people speak some English

5. Beautiful beaches off the Sea of Cortez

Stop giving me ideas.

Scary to think about. I’ve got about 25 years to retirement and suspect places like Puerto Penasco won’t be viable by the time I reach it. (Temps there are peaking near 120° in the summer these days, and the city’s ongoing water shortages are only going to be exacerbated by its burgeoning population and climate change.) Climate change is reaching the point where you can see the apocalypse peeking over the horizon. I’m not in a hurry to reach retirement age, but I have a strong suspicion that you Boomers are enjoying the last couple of decades where retiring in comfort will be possible for most folks.

I don’t know where you get that from.

Here is a chart of July temps for this year:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/mx/puerto-penasco/235755/july-weather/235755

Not a single day below 100°, and 4 days above 115°. The Weather Spark report you linked is based on averages from 1980-2016. I mean 2018 has been a hot year, but so was 2017 and 2016 and 2015 and 2014 and 2013 and 2012 and 2010 and…

Yeah, I don’t think I’d want to do Mexico in the summer. I find days in the 90s now to be uncomfortable enough I try to stay in most of the time. Something about being older since when I was younger I could go out and play two hours of tennis in that kind of heat. I wouldn’t want to be in Florida during the summer either. And Arizona, my god, I can’t believe people want to retire to 115 degree heat even if it is dry heat.

If you can be a snowbird that’s what I would pick, but it’s difficult to afford that if you want to own.

Living in Arizona already we’re used to the heat. We’re not outside digging ditches. Most places have this newfangled invention called air conditioning.

Air conditioning is great, but my experience in Minnesota has been that my A/C struggles to keep up once the temperature hits upper 90s. Let alone 115-120.

I put a split in my office, and now it never struggles. It might be warm in the rest of the house, but I’ll enjoy a blanket in my office when it hits 110. (rare here but it can happen).