Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

So that’s what, 1050 square feet? Nice sized apartment.

Indeed. Still, I am out ALL MY SAVINGS!!!

Hooray, congratulations on property ownership! You, uh, got something a good way above sea level, right? :)

Yes! My property won’t be under water anytime soon!

Congratulations. If I remember correctly, you are in Norway, and if that is anything like Denmark your savings are probably much better off placed in real estate.

I have a house in the coastal city of Aarhus, Denmark in a neighborhood which name roughly translates to “High hill” (some 5 km from the coast). I often joke that my retirement plan is to eventually sell the house with ocean view.

I believe under recently enacted California law that is only a misdemeanor now. You have to steal enough money to make it worth the cops trouble before it becomes a felony.

That sucks Armando. Hopefully they make it easy for you.

Congrats, always exciting to live in a new place!

Thanks! It is basically in the same place I live now, though, since I bought the apartment right across the road from the one I share with a friend now.

Makes moving easier, no truck needed :-)

I have the move planned out already: I’ll have my moral philosopher friend transport everything with a trolley.

I know from experience that philosophers make great movers! (I have worked as both)

Oof, be careful. I hear that some moral philosophers have problems with trolleys.

So I was just changing channels last night before going to bed and on the National Geographic channel I ran across the Oscar winner, Free Solo. They ran it commercial free. And even though I only saw the last 45 minutes of it I can confirm that even knowing the ending it is a very intense movie. And with my dislike of heights I probably could never have watched it in a theater.

We’ve decided to make Monday nights a [mostly] non-digital night for our son. This entails him cooking dinner and us playing board games or whatever is non-screen related. When he’s with me, we cook together, as I’ve detailed in the cooking thread. When he’s with his mom he generally does it all himself. I like to cook with him because I love cooking and want him to learn various techniques, like how to cut two of your fingers when you’re teaching your son to learn new techniques, as I did tonight. Good job, Dad. His mom wants him to do it himself. Both things work different muscles, and I think both are valuable. One of them, I have to admit, is bloodier.

Anyway, for the board game part of the night, my son and I played Ascension at the table for the first time. He remembers me playing it on the iPad (back when I had one) many years ago. It’s been forever since I’ve played it tabletop. So we had to relearn the rules together. We set it all up and went through the cards and talked about strategy and had our first learning game. It was a freaking blast.

My kid won. 57 to 52. It was monster heavy in the center at first, so I went after a military victory. He started stacking up Mechana Constructs.

Holy cats. I forgot how much I love this game.

-xtien

I just finished writing up the second draft to my second book on game design, this one being all about the design of platformers. I’ve been trying to get in touch with game design colleges and programs about lectures and such for my books, but haven’t had much luck. If anyone has any contacts or could help out, I would really appreciate it.

Normally, cleaning the fire trucks is a pretty run of the mill thing at the station. This time, we’re preparing them for our friend’s funeral tomorrow. Sunday evening, he shot himself in the head for no apparent reason. Next week we’ll be doing it again for another co-worker who isn’t going to make it to the weekend from cancer. This morning we sent one of our medic vehicles 200 miles to the treatment center he’s at in Pittsburgh to bring him home.

Suicide and cancer are the two banes of the fire service right now, far outpacing line of duty deaths. Normally I treat things with casual disdain as my defense mechanism, but these two really hurt. I’m tired of my friends dying.

Thanks for listening to my vent.

I’m sorry for you, your station and their families. Hang in there.

Thank you for sharing this, as hard as it is to share. It puts my own problems in perspective, and I’m not just saying that.

Always open for listening. Take care.

-xtien

That’s tough, @ddtibbs, very sorry to hear it. Suicide in particular is tough to deal with, often impossible to understand. I’m sure the funeral will be difficult but I hope it helps to at least start the healing process for all their friends and family.